An Old School Catholic Message Board

If there were no Catholic church in your area

Resurrexi

Greek Orthodox church or Sedevacantist chapel?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='989571' date='May 24 2006, 01:52 PM']
I wouldn't move somewhere if there wasn't a Catholic Church near. But, if by some freak accident I did, I would drive. It's worth it for Jesus. Heck, walking it would be worth it.
[/quote]
yeah

It's not like all the churches just disappear overnight. You know when you move to an area if there are churches there or not.

[quote name='Sojourner' post='989575' date='May 24 2006, 12:58 PM']
yeah

It's not like all the churches just disappear overnight. You know when you move to an area if there are churches there or not.
[/quote]
agreed ;)

word, I'd take the drive and make a day out of it. maybe do some sightseeing and hit a new restaurant after mass. ;)

missionseeker

Also, I know around here that nearest Orthodox church is about three hours away so it wouldn't really matter.

I have a hard time even comprehending that sort of situation...
Within an hour's drive, I can reach over 20 Catholic parishes...

EcceNovaFacioOmni

From my location, I could probably reach all the parishes in my entire diocese in one hour or less. In a little over an hour, I could be in the Archdiocese of Detroit too.

I would drive, if I could pay for gas :( But I would drive, but if any mass is close by thats VALID I would go there. If it's not, if other churchs are just a way of 'lifting your heart' then I can do that at all times.

heavenseeker

Other a 3 hour drive just takes way too much gas.

Edited by heavenseeker

[quote name='scardella' post='990245' date='May 25 2006, 07:55 AM']
I have a hard time even comprehending that sort of situation...
Within an hour's drive, I can reach over 20 Catholic parishes...
[/quote]

In some countrysides, there are very few Catholic Churches (or even none). I would even attend a baptist Church (although I wouldn't recieve the full graces of a Mass) if there was no Catholic or Orthodox Church around.

Guest Veni Sancte Spiritus

Dave, you are very correct. No Orthodox Christian Church, Greek or otherwise would allow a Catholic to partake. In fact, when an Orthodox Christian is travelling and must attend Divine Litugy (in a parish where the priest does not know them personally) they must call ahead to notify the priest so he can verify that they are Orthodox in good standing prior to giving them the body and blood of Christ. They take this very seriously and for good reason. I am not sure why the Catholic Church takes no such precautions and I wish it were the rule in all Catholic parishes.

missionseeker

In my deanery there are 10,000 non-Catholics for every Catholic.

There are 10 counties 6 churches and 2 missions.

[quote name='Veni Sancte Spiritus' post='990994' date='May 26 2006, 10:13 AM']
Dave, you are very correct. No Orthodox Christian Church, Greek or otherwise would allow a Catholic to partake. In fact, when an Orthodox Christian is travelling and must attend Divine Litugy (in a parish where the priest does not know them personally) they must call ahead to notify the priest so he can verify that they are Orthodox in good standing prior to giving them the body and blood of Christ. They take this very seriously and for good reason. I am not sure why the Catholic Church takes no such precautions and I wish it were the rule in all Catholic parishes.
[/quote]

I could be very wrong but I've heard you can recieve as long as the priest agree and you make sure he knows there's no other Catholic Church around. My theology teacher and some of his friends asked an Orthodox priest to do mass for them and he gave them Communion.

MichaelFilo

I would rather burn at a stake and die a horrid death then enter into a baptist church for service.

AS for Greek Orthodox or Sede, who cares? Honestly, if the the Orthodox Mass is in some incromphensible gibberish that I have no interest in, then send me to the Sede house. If the Sede's are knockin the pope, send me to the Greek Orthodox Church. The reality is, it doesn't matter, but I would never receive communion in either of them, nor penance, nor any sacrament. The Church thought it damning to do some of these things in past ages, simply because the Church allows it doesn't mean it's good for me. "All things are lawful..." (For those who read the Bible)

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='jezic' post='990229' date='May 25 2006, 08:01 AM']
Where is there not a Catholic Church for that many miles?
[/quote]

I was up in the Arctic Circle one Christmas. There wasn't a priest around.