An Old School Catholic Message Board

trinity and forgiveness of sins

dairygirl4u2c

trinity and forgiveness of sins  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hmn... a little hard on the wording...
I'm going to let alone the wording regarding the Trinity for somebody who's better with words than I am..

Two things regarding the reconciliation question:
1) The important part is that because the priest forgives us, so also God forgives us (insert verse regarding retaining and loosing of sins here) (I was going to say God forgives us, not the priest, but then realized it was both)
2) The sins are forgiven when we do the penance (Well, otherwise you'd be "unforgiven" if you didn't do your penance)
Both minor points, but I felt worth mentioning (less worth mentioning than I had thought, now that I read over them)

Myles Domini

Your wording regarding the Trinity sounds Sabellian, that is, heretical. As for the forgiveness of sins. All the sacraments are actions of the High Priest, Jesus Christ, and work ex opere operato. I think that pretty much answers your questions.

Guest JeffCR07

Myles is right, the wording is poor Dairy.

The Trinity question sounds like it could be confused with modalism, which is a heresy and no Catholic can affirm.

The priest [i]can[/i] forgive any sin, but not through his own power - only through acting [i]in persona christi[/i]. Thus, we can say that "a priest forgives our sins" but what this means is that Christ forgives our sins through the priest.

thessalonian

I've not been able to answer any of your polls lately dairy. You would think by now you would be able to ask them correctly.

dairygirl4u2c

I got these questions verbatim from a reputable trivia game for Catholics. Of course, they may try to stump people with weird wording. I have a feeling you'll find the answers to these TF to be surprising tho, regardless of the wording.

fyi.. regardless, I challenge thes to start some polls and see how challenging they can be. Something more in depth than do you like coagulated milk too...
.. though the depths of coagulated milk can have depth... make that something that people would look at with depth..

dairygirl4u2c

They are both false. Even the second, but not for the reason that may have led one to put false, ie that the priest is who forgives sins without God, if the posts above are of any indicator. They are false for the reasons below.

[quote]254 The divine persons are really distinct from one another. "God is
one but not solitary."86 "Father", "Son", "Holy Spirit" are not simply
names designating modalities of the divine being, for they are really
distinct from one another: "He is not the Father who is the Son, nor
is the Son he who is the Father, nor is the Holy Spirit he who is the
Father or the Son."87 They are distinct from one another in their
relations of origin: "It is the Father who generates, the Son who is
begotten, and the Holy Spirit who proceeds."88 The divine Unity is
Triune.[/quote]

[quote]1463 Certain particularly grave sins incur excommunication, the most
severe ecclesiastical penalty, which impedes the reception of the
sacraments and the exercise of certain ecclesiastical acts, and for
which absolution consequently cannot be granted, according to canon
law, except by the Pope, the bishop of the place or priests authorized
by them. In danger of death any priest, even if deprived of faculties
for hearing confessions, can absolve from every sin and
excommunication.[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='989758' date='May 24 2006, 01:42 PM']
They are both false. Even the second, but not for the reason that may have led one to put false, ie that the priest is who forgives sins without God, if the posts above are of any indicator. They are false for the reasons below.
[/quote]

The second question needs to be true.
[quote]T/F? Under ordinary circumstances, any sin can be forgiven by the priest in the sacrament of reconciliation.[/quote]

You supplied paragraph 1463 to say it should be false:
[quote]1463 Certain particularly grave sins incur excommunication, the most severe ecclesiastical penalty, which impedes the reception of the sacraments and the exercise of certain ecclesiastical acts... except by the pope.[/quote]

Yet, 1463 does not apply to 'ordinary circumstances.' 1463 applies to 'particularly grave sins." Not the same.

dairygirl4u2c

good point jsw. but should we focus on "ordinary cirsumstances" or should we focus on "any sin". This is because under "ordinary circumstances", "particularly grave" sins cannot be forgiven by the priest as the passage indicates.

If you defined "ord circ" to be "ordinar sins" then you'd be definitely correct. I disagree with that interpretation and would argue that it's probably just so you could get the answer right, plus "ordinary circ" can't mean "ordinar sins" because right after that is says "ANY sin".

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

heavenseeker

the wording on the first question was a little confuseing so i wouldnt count my vote if i were you.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1002704' date='Jun 10 2006, 05:32 PM']
good point jsw. but should we focus on "ordinary cirsumstances" or should we focus on "any sin". This is because under "ordinary circumstances", "particularly grave" sins cannot be forgiven by the priest as the passage indicates.[/quote]

:smokey:

I like these rounds of 'Stump the Papists.' If you want, you can PM me the questions before posting for smooth translation.

the first question was worded correctly if seeking a false answer. they are not merely different expressions, but distinct persons.

the second question was confusing, which is why I got it wrong, but it is correct that it is also false. not absolutely any sin can be forgiven by the priest in reconciliation ordinarily (ordinarily the priest you confess to usually is not a bishop). in danger of death any sin can be forgiven, but under ordinary circumstances there are certain excommunicatable offences which require the bishop (or a priest he has given permission to) to re-admit you into the communion of the Church.