An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anti-Catholicism

KatS

KnightofChrist

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='986453' date='May 21 2006, 10:29 AM']
You're certainly a cute little [uncharitable 1930s/40s historical reference] aren't ya?
[/quote]

Your one to speak of "uncharitable", so you enjoy always being hypocritical, or are you blind to that fact as well?

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='986451' date='May 21 2006, 10:26 AM']
The term "you people" is one used by bigots, all these "facts" are spewed by lost souls so full of hate for their brethren it blinds them to truth. Souls which hearts are so full of hate, deprived of truth and love such as yours will not eneter the Kingdom of Jehovah, according that is to The Holy Scriptures.

May God have mercy on your soul.
[/quote]

Every time I hear the words "you people" it makes me think of the time Bush Sr. gave a speech around 1992, to a group of African Americans, possibly the NAACP -- and they were offended when #41 accidentally said "you people."

In any case, yes, I agree that the term "you people" is incredibly derogatory.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='986435' date='May 21 2006, 11:04 AM']
Just because the head of the Church didn't willingly condone it doesn't mean that millions of the members of your faith weren't condoning and TAKING PART in it. And please, never mention pagan faiths again. You people have killed them all.
Only because of Comrade Stalin X_x
[/quote]

Don't remember saying I was Catholic...

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='986443' date='May 21 2006, 11:16 AM']
[url="http://www.google.com/"]http://www.google.com/[/url]

Type in "Spanish population in [year]". Add that of other countries where it was supported. You're winner!
[/quote]

This is based on the erroneous assumption that the entire Christian population of Europe favored the inquisition.

[quote name='KizlarAgha' post='986416' date='May 21 2006, 10:37 AM']
That claim is completely baseless and unsupported by the evidence. Let's review famous cases of Catholic atrocities:

Witch Hunts - Mostly carried out by protestants and secular authorities. As early as the late 16th century, Jesuits and Dominicans were writing AGAINST witch trials.

Spanish Inquisition - Run by the Spanish crown for the purposes of consolidating power. The pope even asked them to stop.

The Crusades - A response to a desperate plea for help by Emperor Alexius Komnenos of the Byzantine empire due to encroachment by Muslim Turks. Furthermore, the conquest of the Holy Land wasn't stealing Muslim land from Muslims. They had taken it from the Christians of the Byzantine empire and a great deal of the populace was still Christian. Even the Fourth Crusade which conquered Constantinople cannot be blamed on the Catholics. The pope issued several statements decrying the act.

I don't have any problem with you not being a Catholic, but you should at least learn your history before slinging around nonsense.
[/quote]

Thank you so very much. These are among some of the most common reasons why so many people persecute the Church and you totally set the record straight. That is exactly what happened. Thank you so much for you historical defense of Catholicism. :clap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

[quote name='raptor13' post='986434' date='May 21 2006, 11:04 AM']
And let's not forget 'in the name of the State.' Personally, I think secularism/atheism has caused more atrocities in the past 200 or so years than Catholicism has in the past two thousand.
[/quote]

Wow! This thread is snowballing into a full-fledged debate. It is getting interesting though.
Right on! Look at how media has turned everything good and added its own little flavor in order to stir controversy and meet some sick little agenda. You have to admit, the secular society is one of the most atrocious cultures we live with. Everybody has a not so hidden agenda it seems.

[quote name='PadreSantiago' post='985698' date='May 19 2006, 11:14 PM']why do you feel the need to defend yourselves so badly? You are the majority and you are not being opressed. You are being over zealous by maintaining this ludicis notion that you are somehow being percecuted for your religion! Try being black or gay for a few days, tell me how you feel then.[/quote]the problem being, though, that there is virulent anti-Catholicism happening in the U.S. today. when people who vandalize Catholic churches are not prosecuted under hate crime laws but instead are being lauded for their attempt to 'make their voice heard' - that would never happen to a Jewish synagogue, or a black church! don't buy the rhetoric - instead, find out the truth for yourself.

btw, i will post references and such tomorrow for the topics such as the Inquisition, Witch Hunts, etc.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='982837' date='May 16 2006, 06:00 PM']
I've been reading [u]The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice[/u] by Philip Jenkins. I think all should read it, regardless if Catholic or not. I think that it would be beneficial to post the definitions of 'anti-Catholic' and 'anti-clerical' because often, accusations fly as to someone being anti-Catholic when they are not.

so, from the book:
[i][b]"At the outset, we need a reliable definition of what is meant by the term 'anti-Catholic.'[/b] Obviously, not every statement attacking a Catholic doctrine or stance is ipso facto a form of bigotry. Not even the most extreme Catholic traditionalist believes that everything the institutional Church does is beyond debate, still less the acts and words of every individual Church leader. ... Many people strenuously oppose the positions taken by the Catholic Church on social and political issues without needing to attack that religion as such or wishing to insult its theology. ... [b]Just because a given Catholic group is offended by a particular cause or policy stance does not automatically place that idea within realm of bigotry.[/b]

... If we generalize these principles, we can say that it is quite legitimate to attack an individual or an institution, even if these are religious in nature. It is quite a different manner to say that some essential features of that religion give rise to evil or abuse and that the evil cannot be prevented without fundamentally changing the beliefs or practices of the religion. It is not anti-Catholic to remark that Bishop A or Cardinal B is dishonest or criminal. [b]It is more questionable to describe these actions as characteristic of a large body of Catholics or to claim that the behavior arises from ideas and practices fundamental to Catholicism.[/b]

... [b]Most of the examples of anti-Church sentiment discussed here can be categorized as anti-Catholicism, but in some instances, we should rather be speaking of anti-clericalism.[/b] The word 'anti-clericalism' is vastly better known in the Continental Europe and Latin America than it is in the U.S. Because of the very different historical heritage of these lands, clergy have traditionally occupied a privileged place in the social and political order, which makes them primary targets of popular discontent. Over the centuries, a body of stereotypes developed to characterize what clergy are generally supposed to be like. Anti-clerical imagery normally included a common package of images and insults, familiar to anyone who has ever read Geoffrey Chaucer's accounts of medieval English society. In this view, priests, monks, and friars are idle, greedy, lascivious, and hypocritical. With a handful of saintly exceptions, popes and bishops not only demonstrate these same faults, but compound them with sins of power such as greed, despotism, and megalomania. [b]In the anti-clerical view, the clergy are not just wicked in themselves, but the enemies of public welfare and of social progress.[/b][/i]

please remember these definitions! let's not cry 'wolf' too often, and remember this quote: [b][i]" We also need to recognize that the charge of anti-Catholicism is as open to misuse as any other accusation of bias or bigotry. The regularity with which Church authorities played this card in bygone days helps explain modern skepticism about the whole notion of anti-Catholicism."[/i][/b]
[/quote]

Jesuspaidtheprice

I don't know if anyone has mentioned "The New Anti-Catholicism : The Last Acceptable Prejudice" by Philip Jenkins, but it is a good book on the subject. There is certianly a difference between anti-catholicism, anti-christian, and having disagreements without necessarily being prejudiced against the Catholic Church. Anti-catholicism seems to be more of a mental disability and less of a genuine disagreement with the (mis)doctrines of the Catholic Church.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='987188' date='May 22 2006, 12:27 PM']
I don't know if anyone has mentioned "The New Anti-Catholicism : The Last Acceptable Prejudice" by Philip Jenkins, but it is a good book on the subject. There is certianly a difference between anti-catholicism, anti-christian, and having disagreements without necessarily being prejudiced against the Catholic Church. Anti-catholicism seems to be more of a mental disability and less of a genuine disagreement with the (mis)doctrines of the Catholic Church.
[/quote]
just quoted from it :D: i'm almost done with this book, it's a very good read

I want to thank everyone for your insights and help in dealing with this. I don't pray as much as I should and that was a good reminder :pray:

missionseeker

[quote name='PadreSantiago' post='985698' date='May 19 2006, 11:14 PM']
why do you feel the need to defend yourselves so badly? You are the majority and you are not being opressed. You are being over zealous by maintaining this ludicis notion that you are somehow being percecuted for your religion! Try being black or gay for a few days, tell me how you feel then.
[/quote]

Where I live Catholicism is the minority. Less than 1% of the population. 100,000 non-Catholics to every Catholic. I have black friends and watched the way people treat them and being Catholic is not much better to them(people areound here.) If you're black AND Catholic around here and you get suspended for disrupting class. (a teacher asked who was Catholic and the only Catholic kid in there was black and he raised is hand and the teacher said you can't be Catholic you're black and he was like My mom is Italian (his mom is white, though you couldn't tell by looking at him) but the teacher kept saying no you're not and he was like yeah, I am and so he got sent to the princ. office for fighting with the teacher and lying to her. Of course it didn't matter that he really was Catholic.)

Here are some of the things people have told me.

You're going to burn in Hell (my own Grandmother told me that, actually, if that's not being attacked for your religion, I don't know what is.)

Some people have actually made excuses to leave as soon as they find out that we are Catholic.

I've been told I'm not Christian.

That I pray to the pope

I pray through the pope.

I'm an intolerant bigot.

Everyone deserves the chance to defend themselves/their beliefs to the people who make theese comments. Because nothing that ANYONE has ever accused me of doing/being because I'm Catholic has been true.

(Of course I won't know whether or not I'm going to burn in Hell until I die. I hope that I won't)

If I told you that you were a fish brained coward you'd want to defend yourself, wouldn't you. When someone says something untrue or unkind about us(because or beleifs are a part of who we are) we like to, too.