An Old School Catholic Message Board

EWTN is disgusting

ChrisZewe

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='983946' date='May 17 2006, 05:58 PM']
Okay...you are all missing my point. I don't really care about the heresies bit. It was the dismal verb choice that got me, and I'm not getting how you don't see that.

And it was [i]Journeys of [b]Faith[/b][/i] not [i]Journey Home[/i]...
[/quote]

HAHA ooooh, enphasis on the spewed... hmm. I guess they wanted zing? lol
It kinda does sound off though, i agree. EWTN is usually not a bashing network. I dont believe the show your mentioning would actually bash Lutherans but nonetheless, interesting title.

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

Oxford Dictionary:

[b]Spew: expel, rapidly and forcibly[/b]

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

[b]2089: Heresy is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be beleived with divine and catholic faith[/b]

Do the Lutherans not expel their beliefs? Do they not enforce them as truth?

Do they not deny Church teaching (eg. The real presence, papal authority, etc.)

So...Spewing heresy is kinda accurate, from a Catholic point of view.

kamiller42

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='983946' date='May 17 2006, 05:58 PM']
And it was [i]Journeys of [b]Faith[/b][/i] not [i]Journey Home[/i]...
[/quote]
Oh. My bad. I watch EWTN, but haven't watched that show. I can't help you. Do you find this type of dialog standard in EWTN shows? If so, what are they?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='983004' date='May 16 2006, 08:28 PM']
I'm just baffled as to how they can get away with attacking such a large religious group on cable television on a show like "Journeys of Faith."
[/quote]
Just a sidenote, but I think modern Lutheranism is quite different from its founder.

[font="Times New Roman"][size=3]Bottomline: The Catholic Church is absolute TRUTH. The Protestants have a portion of TRUTH. Now are we going to defend the Bride of Christ 100% or have reservations? Sometimes, I believe, we, as children of Holy Mother Church, must use harsh words to get all the children of the world to wake up. The age of "celebrating our diversity" and "finding unity in our common beliefs" has done nothing to bring about Christian Unity. Now, EWTN, with its "in your face" catholicism has brought about many conversions within and without the Church. It's intent is not to offend, but to "tough love" the truth, as a parent does to a child. [/size] [/font]

I actually agree with Chris. I love EWTN because about 99% of their programing is stellar, but do not claim it to be perfect. It was a most likely mistake to say "spew," at least for the sake of Christian Charity and dialogue, even if it might be accurate.

That being said, I can understand being frustrated with the writtings of Luther, for the reasons pointed out above. I have read quite a bit of Luther, and [s]some[/s] most of the time he is less kind about the Catholic Church itself.

Also Chris, you have to understand someone dogging on EWTN, is not automatically going to be heard. However you stated your case really well.

Edit to add (with fast reply)...

I think that the Journies of Faith are done by Bob and Penny Lord. They are great people and former Lutherens if I remember correctly (For sure they were protestants at one time) who sure do not mince words at all. I know them personally. I think that you should write them a letter. I spent a week with them when I was a wee lad. They are actually really loving people, hardcore Catholic, but really loving.

[url="http://www.bobandpennylord.com/"]http://www.bobandpennylord.com/[/url]

info@bobandpennylord.com

They would love to hear from you!

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='982513' date='May 16 2006, 12:41 PM']
Even though I disagree with Lutherans, how does a cable TV station get off calling his teachings "spewed heresies"?
[/quote]

Because Lutheran teachings are heresies.

Here is a old rebuttal to Luther's 95 Thesis.
[url="http://www.maxbrackett.com/95thesis.php"]http://www.maxbrackett.com/95thesis.php[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

Desert Walker

The reason the word "spewed" was used to describe the way in which Lutheran theology was born is that Martin Luther's personality traits were, as many an historian can tell you, unbalanced.

The word "unbalanced" is actually too nice to him.

The guy actually wrote about engaging in excrement-throwing matches with the Devil. :blink:

...I'm so tired of restating this. This is the last time I will do so, so read up, tools.

[b]I WAS NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE "HERESIES" BIT. THE WORD I WAS OBJECTING TO WAS THE USE OF THE WORD "SPEWED." TAKE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE: [i]THE POPE SPEWED SOME NONSENSE ABOUT JESUS.[/i] THE WORD "SPEWED" OFFENDS YOU. THE WORD NONSENSE DOES TOO, BUT TO SOME, THE POPE'S WORDS MAY INDEED BE NONSENSE, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT HERE. "SPEWED" WAS UNCALLED FOR.[/b]

Clear enough now?

Sometimes you have to use not nice words to get a point across. I think they could have used a WAY worse word than spewed. Ya can't make everyone happy all the time, someone is gonna be offended somehow, someway. No getting around it, I've learned that. They were just stating a fact, bluntly.

One problem with what you just said - facts aren't determined based on personal beliefs. I like to think of my own religious beliefs as facts, but that doesn't mean I can get away with calling them that.

Noel's angel

To 'spew' is to 'send or cast forth with vigor....or in great quantity'. Therefore, I don't see anything wrong with the word 'spewed'

My mom always used to say that the Holy Church posses Truth, and with that Truth are facts. But, with any other religion, well they are just opinions. But, that's just my mom talking. :unsure:

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='984562' date='May 18 2006, 01:01 PM']
...I'm so tired of restating this. This is the last time I will do so, so read up, tools.

[b]I WAS NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE "HERESIES" BIT. THE WORD I WAS OBJECTING TO WAS THE USE OF THE WORD "SPEWED." TAKE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE: [i]THE POPE SPEWED SOME NONSENSE ABOUT JESUS.[/i] THE WORD "SPEWED" OFFENDS YOU. THE WORD NONSENSE DOES TOO, BUT TO SOME, THE POPE'S WORDS MAY INDEED BE NONSENSE, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT HERE. "SPEWED" WAS UNCALLED FOR.[/b]

Clear enough now?
[/quote]

+

Please realize that I am suggesting this with the utmost gentleness: In the post above, the term "disgusting" could also be deemed offensive (the many impassioned responses suggests that it is).

Sometimes in the passion of the moment, human nature is what could be deemed as imprudently or uncharitably zealous. (ChrisZewe, myself, and EWTN included). As, one might say ChrisZewe is e.g. "disgusting" for using the word "disgusting".

Further, perhaps we are over-reacting to the term "spewed"? Myself, I find the term "Spewed" descriptive and not deregetory. "Disgusting" however, does have a negative connotation. Thus, what we have here is semantics. But CZ, please, may I suggest, let's not be dismissive of an entire network for one comment.

Blessings!