An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hell

ChrisZewe

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='984652' date='May 18 2006, 02:52 PM']
It appears that the stupidity was not as self-evident as I thought. Praying to Mary and asking Mary to pray for you are two different things. [/quote]
And we would agree! No one here prays to Mary in the sense you are talking about, rather we ask Mary to pray for us. 'Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners...' Its pretty simple actually.
From Catholic.com
[quote]Because he is the only God-man and the Mediator of the New Covenant, Jesus is the only mediator between man and God (1 Tim. 2:5), but this in no way means we cannot or should not ask our fellow Christians to pray with us and for us (1 Tim. 2:1–4). In particular, we should ask the intercession of those Christians in heaven, who have already had their sanctification completed, for "[t]he prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects" (Jas. 5:16). [/quote]

[quote name='rkwright' post='984666' date='May 18 2006, 04:08 PM']
And we would agree! No one here prays to Mary in the sense you are talking about, rather we ask Mary to pray for us. 'Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners...' Its pretty simple actually.
From Catholic.com
[/quote]

You're still missing my other point.

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='984668' date='May 18 2006, 03:12 PM']
[/quote]

which one is that? :detective:

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='983935' date='May 17 2006, 05:25 PM']
I suppose so. Is there anything in particular that you would like prayed for, or just for your wellbeing and happiness?
[/quote]

Well, since you believe in the effectiveness of intercessory prayer, I really could use some prayers in regards to the moving of my young family this summer.

Second question, based partly on the parable of the Richman and Lazarus, the cloud of witnessed in Letter of Hebrews, the liturgical actions of those in Revelations, are you open the possibility that those who have died could 1)be conscious in some 2) also intercede on behave of me like you are doing if they are conscious in some way?

And then if the answer of those is "Yes," what about those in Hell? (BTW I am not sure that the damned are able to do so.) And I really only threw this one in to stay on topic.

May I pray for you?

[quote name='philothea' post='984624' date='May 18 2006, 02:23 PM']
<_<

You know, asking someone to pray for you in order to score points in a debate seems really sleazy.
[/quote]

:idontknow:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='984668' date='May 18 2006, 02:12 PM']
[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]And your still missing mine. It is just fine for you to use the word spew, but you have a big problem with someone on EWTN using it.[/b]
[/color]

[quote name='ChrisZewe' date='May 16 2006, 11:46 AM']
Prayers do work, but not memorized bits of nonsense that you [color="#FF0000"][b]spew[/b][/color] mechanically. And no, none of PM's alleged prayers had any affect on me, nor did any Catholic's. This place actually turned me away from Catholicism x.x The reason I found religion is because of the most incredible person alive on this planet, and she kindly showed me the right way. Again, not because you 'prayed'.
[/quote]

Oh no, you're still missing my point, even though you're bringing a completely unrelated thread in here, twit. EWTN is a cable TV channel, and I was just amazed that they can get away with that. If CNN or some other network that people actually watched said something to that effect, heads would roll.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='984917' date='May 18 2006, 07:00 PM']
Oh no, you're still missing my point, even though you're bringing a completely unrelated thread in here, twit. EWTN is a cable TV channel, and I was just amazed that they can get away with that. If CNN or some other network that people actually watched said something to that effect, heads would roll.
[/quote]

It became completely related when you used the word "spew" in this thread and then later protested EWTN's use of the word in another. And your also changing your agrument. You stated many times in the other thread it was the word you had a problem with... yet when you use it you have no problem with that. I'm just amazed someone can be so blindly hipocritcal.

If someone on CNN or another network said something like that about the Catholic Church they'd probably get a pay raise, and given an award or something.

HOW THICK IS YOUR SKULL? I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE WORD ITSELF, I'M JUST AMAZED THAT A CABLE TV STATION CAN GET AWAY WITH SOMETHING LIKE WHAT EWTN DID.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='984961' date='May 18 2006, 07:58 PM']
HOW THICK IS YOUR SKULL? I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THE WORD ITSELF, I'M JUST AMAZED THAT A CABLE TV STATION CAN GET AWAY WITH SOMETHING LIKE WHAT EWTN DID.
[/quote]

[quote]
I WAS NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE "HERESIES" BIT. THE WORD I WAS OBJECTING TO WAS THE USE OF THE WORD "SPEWED."
[/quote]
[quote]
It was the dismal verb choice that got me, and I'm not getting how you don't see that.
[/quote]
[quote]
Yeah, I can understand the heresies, I suppose, but the spewed is what really did it.
[/quote]