An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hell

ChrisZewe

We've digressed so far from my original point that it's not even funny. This always happens here - things get mixed up, and all the scholars come in and quote obscure bits of text that are irrefutable because no one has ever heard of them. At least no one on the other side. But my question now - with all the evidence above of actual fire, how is it that so many of you believe, or at least have e-screamed at me in the past, that Hell is just existence without God? I personally don't believe either, but I'm just wondering where [i]you people[/i] are coming from.

[quote name='philothea' post='982763' date='May 16 2006, 05:28 PM']
PS: Welcome back, Chris! :bye:
[/quote]

Hi!! I remember you, but not if I particularly liked you ._.

EDIT: Not that I did or didn't, I just don't remember X_x

Edited by ChrisZewe

What evidence are you stating Chris?

Scripture passages that may or may not be literal? If they are literal then there will be a lot of goats who are burning forever. If they aren't literal. It still smells of elderberries.

Personally I don't care if hell is a big lake of molten whatever or a small room where Yanni music is being piped in. It exists in the absence of God. And I truly hope to have no part of that.

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='982765' date='May 16 2006, 04:32 PM']
We've digressed so far from my original point that it's not even funny. This always happens here - things get mixed up, and all the scholars come in and quote obscure bits of text that are irrefutable because no one has ever heard of them. At least no one on the other side. But my question now - with all the evidence above of actual fire, how is it that so many of you believe, or at least have e-screamed at me in the past, that Hell is just existence without God? I personally don't believe either, but I'm just wondering where [i]you people[/i] are coming from.
[/quote]
:lol:

I think all that's been proven is that there's no clear Catholic doctrine about whether hell is a physical place full of fire or not. I've seen plenty of writings of saints and visonaries who were shown hell, and it seemed awfully physical and full of fire to them. :idontknow: Honestly, I try not to think about it.

I'm not sure who was being so adamant earlier, or why. There are plenty of people who argue weird points here. I think that the most argumentative phatmassers often do not represent the majority opinion.

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='982765' date='May 16 2006, 04:32 PM']
Hi!! I remember you, but not if I particularly liked you ._.

EDIT: Not that I did or didn't, I just don't remember X_x
[/quote]
:P:

Of course you liked me. :rolleyes: Sheesh.

:ninja:

[quote name='philothea' post='982774' date='May 16 2006, 05:43 PM']
:lol:

I think all that's been proven is that there's no clear Catholic doctrine about whether hell is a physical place full of fire or not. I've seen plenty of writings of saints and visonaries who were shown hell, and it seemed awfully physical and full of fire to them. :idontknow: Honestly, I try not to think about it.

I'm not sure who was being so adamant earlier, or why. There are plenty of people who argue weird points here. I think that the most argumentative phatmassers often do not represent the majority opinion.
:P:

Of course you liked me. :rolleyes: Sheesh.
:ninja:
[/quote]

Well that about clears things up, even though you're still wrong x.x And I think I did. You're the one who knows Robert Jordan, right?

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='982780' date='May 16 2006, 04:47 PM']
You're the one who knows Robert Jordan, right?
[/quote]
Close. :) His editor was one of my writing instructors.

And [i]now[/i] we're properly :offtopic:!

I get antsy if a thread stays on one subject too long. :topsy:

[quote name='philothea' post='982789' date='May 16 2006, 05:54 PM']
Close. :) His editor was one of my writing instructors.

And [i]now[/i] we're properly :offtopic:!

I get antsy if a thread stays on one subject too long. :topsy:
[/quote]

LAUREL AMBERDINE! Or something. Am I right?

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='982791' date='May 16 2006, 04:56 PM']
LAUREL AMBERDINE! Or something. Am I right?
[/quote]
Yay, I'm famous. :D:

Yep. ;)

>_> To be completely honest, I just remembered that your name was Laurel and I went into my GMail and typed "Laurel." But yeah...even though you're a Catholic, you still like...almost interacted with RJ, and that's almost as cool as riding a penguin, to me.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='982589' date='May 16 2006, 12:46 PM']
rayers do work, but not memorized bits of nonsense that you spew mechanically. And no, none of PM's alleged prayers had any affect on me, nor did any Catholic's. This place actually turned me away from Catholicism x.x The reason I found religion is because of the most incredible person alive on this planet, and she kindly showed me the right way. Again, not because you 'prayed'.
[/quote]
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? Did God tell you this?

:)

God leads people where he wants, so that means our prayers did work. Just because you arent Catholic doesnt mean prayers werent answered.

Anyway, you don't know me, I dont know you.. so..

Hey, how are you doing? :D:

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='982826' date='May 16 2006, 06:32 PM']
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? Did God tell you this?

:)

God leads people where he wants, so that means our prayers did work. Just because you arent Catholic doesnt mean prayers werent answered.

Anyway, you don't know me, I dont know you.. so..

Hey, how are you doing? :D:
[/quote]

Just because you people say you prayed (even if you did), and I'm now Christian, doesn't mean a thing.

Hi. I'm Chris.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='983007' date='May 16 2006, 07:29 PM']
Just because you people say you prayed (even if you did), and I'm now Christian, doesn't mean a thing.

Hi. I'm Chris.
[/quote]
Of course. However, the fact that you are now a Christian is great news, regardless of the means. God did play a part, but we shall never know how.

Hola. I'm Jared. Nice to meet you :)

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='983030' date='May 16 2006, 08:37 PM']
Of course. However, the fact that you are now a Christian is great news, regardless of the means. God did play a part, but we shall never know how.

Hola. I'm Jared. Nice to meet you :)
[/quote]

Well, considering the fact that I'm not a Catholic, and by your beliefs, this means I'm damned, I'd say that, at least to you, it shouldn't be seen as His Will at all. And also take into account that I will ritually disembowel myself before even thinking of becoming a Catholic.

It's nice to meet you too, Jared. I like music and Dr. Pepper.

blovedwolfofgod

wow this is weird...

[quote] And also take into account that I will ritually disembowel myself before even thinking of becoming a Catholic.
[/quote]
Glad to see you're keeping your options open...

Anyway, Im guessing you from the annihilationist standpoint then?

[quote]Well, considering the fact that I'm not a Catholic, and by your beliefs, this means I'm damned, I'd say that, at least to you, it shouldn't be seen as His Will at all. [/quote]
We all agree that Jesus is the door. And the doctrine of EENS. However, there is a little dispute as to where that extends. Traditionalists would tend to judge in absolutes like that.

[quote name='blovedwolfofgod' post='983077' date='May 16 2006, 08:53 PM']
wow this is weird...
Glad to see you're keeping your options open...

Anyway, Im guessing you from the annihilationist standpoint then?
[/quote]

Maybe...I used to be a fan of post-tribal-post-nuclear-holocaust utopia...does that count?

frozencell

[quote]Prayers do work, but not memorized bits of nonsense that you spew mechanically. And no, none of PM's alleged prayers had any affect on me, nor did any Catholic's. This place actually turned me away from Catholicism x.x The reason I found religion is because of the most incredible person alive on this planet, and she kindly showed me the right way. Again, not because you 'prayed'[/quote]

Wow. The Christian virtues of love, charity, etc. are just overflowing! I can almost feel your love and respect for people in a personla way through the internet. Trippy.....

[quote]We've digressed so far from my original point that it's not even funny. This always happens here - things get mixed up, and all the scholars come in and quote obscure bits of text that are irrefutable because no one has ever heard of them. At least no one on the other side. But my question now - with all the evidence above of actual fire, how is it that so many of you believe, or at least have e-screamed at me in the past, that Hell is just existence without God? I personally don't believe either, but I'm just wondering where you people are coming from.[/quote]

Hmmm. Despite popular belief, history is chalk full and made up of obscure bits of information and references that no one a lot of people don't know haven't read. Maybe that just means that you, along with others, should do some more research. And I believe all references have been provided so you can probably take some time and look them up for yourself (and any other references that may support or contradict).

On the subject of Hell, I bet it doesn't really matter. I bet it's a bad place you don't want to be. And that's pretty much enough motivation for me. Can I get an amen?!