An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites of the Divine Heart of Jesus

LilyofSaintMaria

LilyofSaintMaria

Hi,
Has anyone here discerned with these Sisters? I have asked for vocational material from them, but that is as far as it went. I am still interested, but was wondering what are your opinions about this community. I am especially interested in how their prayer life comes across to you, because as I mentioned in an earlier post I am looking for a deep prayer life with a small apostolate. Well, any help with this would be appreciated, thanks! ^_^
Bernadette :rolleyes:

Arent' those the sisters that work with the aged? Do you like that kind of apstolate. Prayer life will always be primary, but
a good part of your day will be spend working. Just a thought. I have never met them, so can't offer any help that way. Good luck in your search.

the lords sheep

My cousin is about to make her first vows with the Carmelites DCJs! They are a wonderful order of joyful and prayerful women.
I haven't ever officially discerned with them, because I never felt particularily called to be a Carmelite, but they are a wonderful order! I highly recommend discerning with them, even if you just want to see what a beautiful, orthodox group of Sisters are like.
They're apostalates vary from city to city, but in St. Louis, they run a day-care center/ preschool and a nursing home, and in the past they have done work with youth ministry.
I won't be on for awhile, but pm me if you have any other questions. I'll try to answer them as best as I can!
Peace in Christ,
Lauren

be_thou_my_vision

If you are looking for sisters with a big prayer life/small apostolate, look into the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth or Franciscan Sisters, TOR of Penance and the Sorrowful Mother. (Go to google and type them in that way to look at the websites.)
Good Luck!

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='982308' date='May 16 2006, 09:30 AM']
They are a wonderful order of joyful and prayerful women.
I haven't ever officially discerned with them, because I never felt particularily called to be a Carmelite, but they are a wonderful order! I highly recommend discerning with them, even if you just want to see what a beautiful, orthodox group of Sisters are like.
They're apostalates vary from city to city, but in St. Louis, they run a day-care center/ preschool and a nursing home, and in the past they have done work with youth ministry.

[/quote]

I don't know any of the sisters personally, but friends of mine whose children were in their preschool were very happy with them. They used to broadcast a show on our local Catholic radio station and I thought they were a very devoted and cheerful group of sisters. I like their dual apostolates to the aged and very young; we so need more sisters in both groups. Come on down to St. Louis if you get the chance!

magnificat

DCJ's are a great order. The sisters that I know are in Saint Louis. They are very holy women. I know that they have several retreats each year for girls discerning. They have a very great prayer life from what I can tell, but having never visited them for a long period, I can't say much more than that. I would definately keep contacting them if you are interested.
Prayers!

I was incontact with them for 3 yrs on and off. I visited them last october. It didn't go well. They didn't really like me because I was outgoing!!! Not sure why but that was what I was told by the VD!!!!

which providence are you intouch with???? and who is the VD??

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='Sixtina87' post='983249' date='May 16 2006, 10:04 PM']
I was incontact with them for 3 yrs on and off. I visited them last october. It didn't go well. They didn't really like me because I was outgoing!!! Not sure why but that was what I was told by the VD!!!!

which providence are you intouch with???? and who is the VD??
[/quote]

Six,

Charity of heart and speech makes you a step closer to the convent. Sometimes we have to grit our teeth, clinch our jaw, and smile. It's a mighty act of the will, not a feeling. Next time the hurt presents itself say quietly "Lord Jesus help me." or any other quiet prayer of the heart. Besides, doesn't God have some other plans for you?? :)

hugs to you
Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='983965' date='May 17 2006, 06:21 PM']
Six,

Charity of heart and speech makes you a step closer to the convent. Sometimes we have to grit our teeth, clinch our jaw, and smile. It's a mighty act of the will, not a feeling. Next time the hurt presents itself say quietly "Lord Jesus help me." or any other quiet prayer of the heart. Besides, doesn't God have some other plans for you?? :)

hugs to you
Mary-Kathryn
[/quote]

All i said was the truth on why I'm not incontact with them. I honestly don't care what happened back then all i'm greatful for was my experience with the SIsters!!! Nothign bad about them I have to say, nothing but good!!!!

Here are some pics from my visit last october to the St. Louis Providence!!! Rachel who is a phatmasser also went!!!! It was fun i would have to say but however it wasn't where I was called to be!!!!

[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/golfcart2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/golfcartride.jpg[/img]
GOLF CART RIDES!!!!! That was fun i would have to say but I think Rachel and I had a couple of bruses!!!!

[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/chapel.jpg[/img]
Here is a picture of the chapel at the St. Louis Providence!!! There is a section where it is cloistered and it was different to be back there for prayer!!!

[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/Sixtina87/uswithnovices.jpg[/img]
This one was taken with Rachel's camera. The Sisters took us to the Cathedral for the day!!! It was interesting to see the artwork and be totally amazed that JPII was in the same place as us!!!! (meaning he prayed there when He was in St. Louis)

I forgot the pics are larger than need be!!!

Edited by Sixtina87

[quote name='magnificat' post='983125' date='May 16 2006, 08:12 PM']
DCJ's are a great order. The sisters that I know are in Saint Louis. They are very holy women. I know that they have several retreats each year for girls discerning. They have a very great prayer life from what I can tell, but having never visited them for a long period, I can't say much more than that. I would definately keep contacting them if you are interested.
Prayers!
[/quote]
They truly are wonderful women. Did you see the thread about their foundress being beatified? I went on a retreat with them (just a holiness retreat, not for vocations) earlier this year. It provided me with some wonderful spiritual nourishment.

ForHimAlone

Yeah, the DCJs are awesome! I was with them overnight last December as part of a nun run, and they are such joyful and beautiful sisters. I really loved the habit and thier simplicity of life. Also, as you can see from the pictures, their chapel is simply gorgeous. Plus, they're Carmelites... can't go wrong with that.

They're coming to our Vocations Fair at my high school next Friday.... so excited! I'm long overdue on seeming Carmel brown...