An Old School Catholic Message Board

In This House of Brede

zunshynn

Has anybody read [i]In this House of Brede[/i] by Rumer Godden?!

Oh MAN, I loved it! I just read it yesterday!

It is a wonderful book, much better then the movie. It gives a good idea of traditional Benedictine contemplative life. Try and find the video!

PrayerSupporter

Ah, yes, a lovely book! I didn't care much for the movie, tho. If you liked In This House of Brede you might also like one of her other books called Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy -- it's about the Dominicans of Bethany.

[quote name='PrayerSupporter' post='977971' date='May 10 2006, 10:16 PM']
Ah, yes, a lovely book! I didn't care much for the movie, tho. If you liked In This House of Brede you might also like one of her other books called Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy -- it's about the Dominicans of Bethany.
[/quote]

I felt the same way about the movie. BTW, Rumer Godden was a wonderful author: she loved the Church and wove her Catholic sensibilities into many of her other works. She authored a number of children's books and collections of short stories. She lived in India for some time as well and set a good portion of her work in that country.

LilyofSaintMaria

Hey, you know, I heard of this book time and time again, but haven't picked it up yet. I think I better . . . :)

Bernadette

[quote name='alicemary' post='977965' date='May 11 2006, 05:12 AM']
It is a wonderful book, much better then the movie. It gives a good idea of traditional Benedictine contemplative life. Try and find the video!
[/quote]

What´s the title of the video, please? I bought the book (in English) about a year ago - and it´s ever so GREAT!!!!
I didn´t even know there was a video.... :blink: :lol_roll: :D: :D: :D:

PrayerSupporter

[quote name='All4HIM' post='978215' date='May 11 2006, 08:43 AM']
What´s the title of the video, please? I bought the book (in English) about a year ago - and it´s ever so GREAT!!!!
I didn´t even know there was a video.... :blink: :lol_roll: :D: :D: :D:
[/quote]

The title is the same -- In This House of Brede. It is available in video or dvd. Diana Rigg (anyone remember The Avengers??) stars in it. Enjoy!

Guest Perpetualove

I'm new here, and haven't made a profile yet (not quiet sure how to do that!), but I wanted to add that this book was based on the famous Stanbrook Benedictine Abbey in England. I got a chance to visit there a while ago, and it was GORGEOUS and the nuns were so nice. They have a GORGEOUS website! They don't really like the affiliation with the book, but Rumer Godden did use it as her inspiration! Perpetua

[quote name='PrayerSupporter' post='977971' date='May 10 2006, 08:16 PM']
[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to get it!

Guest Elizabeth

[quote name='zunshynn' post='978998' date='May 11 2006, 11:03 PM']
Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to get it!
[/quote]

I'm new here, so I haven't done a profile or anything like that.

I've read [i]In This House of Brede[/i] over and over since I found it in
a Readers Digest Condensed Book when it was first published in 1969.
(I was 11 and, at the time, knew almost nothing about the Church.
After many struggles, I was received into the Church in 1981.)

There's a biography of a famous Abbess of Stanbrook titled [i]In
a Great Tradition[/i]. I've seen it in a few college and university
libraries. Very inspiring! Rumer Godden apparently read it in her research
for [i]In This House of Brede[/i].

Elizabeth Whitaker

brandelynmarie

I bought the movie so I could watch it & I did enjoy it! Now I guess I'm gonna have to find the book too... :lol:

I also purchased [i]The Passion of Bernadette[/i] recently & loved it! :love: Ya gotta watch it in the original French with English subtitles...

• 1 year later...
Chiquitunga

Adding a couple posts here from another thread :j
[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1342276' date='Jul 27 2007, 01:36 PM']I know very little about Stanbrook Abbey, just that they have a great printing press, and many translations of different works have come out of there. I will have to learn more about them and their history. I'd like to see that movie at some point also, [i]In This House of Brede.[/i][/quote]
[quote name='stlmom' post='1343474' date='Jul 29 2007, 10:23 AM']Actually, the book is head and shoulders better than the movie. The movie plot was way too melodramatic and the characters had no depth at all compared to the book. If you can't get a copy of it, please PM me. I think I still have mine and would be more than happy to share it.[/quote]
[quote name='jkaands' post='1343606' date='Jul 29 2007, 02:59 PM'][url="http://www.bookfinder.com"]http://www.bookfinder.com[/url].

In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden

lowest price: $5.00[/quote]
[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1343942' date='Jul 29 2007, 07:17 PM']Plus it's been reprinted by Loyola Press.
Standbrook did the singing and sewing of habits for the movie. It was filmed at a Franciscan convent in Ireland.
Yes, the book is better but for a movie the movie is very good and there is a lot more insight into the monastic life than people realize.

SMC[/quote]
Thanks guys! I think I'd like to read the book and see the movie! :j

It's a great book! A friend of mine let me borrow it and I read it in one weekend, and then I went out and bought it!