An Old School Catholic Message Board

I need some military advice here

infinitelord1

ok, I was not speaking naive. I was active duty for a period of time with a special opperations group that I thought was the coolest thing when I was younger. where I did some things I was not proud of (*kill count)and a few people here know about. What I was trying to say is that the function of a protective body is very important, but that is not what our military is about right now. It is just a job right now. Or it is an unjust war. If it ever got to the point of defending your family and country you would be drafted..;) You can do far more for your country or your faith by promoting and protecting from the inside than from signin up for uncle sam

Edited by Revprodeji

frozencell

[quote name='ReinnieR' post='979093' date='May 12 2006, 05:39 AM']
what's your AFSC?
[/quote]
2A551J - C-130 MAINT. TECH.

YOU?

hierochloe

I would advise that if you are really concerned about ending up in combat, your best bet is to stay out of the military altogether. Fair concern though, nearly everyone would minimize their exposure where they can.

If you haven't already decided on a branch yet, I would recommend you look into the Coast Guard. My brother is in for the long haul and it's worked out fantastic for him. Plus myself and his mother don't worry about him having to storm hellholes like Fallujah as part of his job. He started on a patrol boat in S. CA doing boardings and drug interdiction, dangerous but important work. He then went north to Oregon to pilot motor lifeboats and has lots of stories of saving people's bacon in the surf. Works on navigation maintenance stuff now in SE texas. He helped with Katrina/Rita relief efforts more recently as well. Lots of good stuff in the Coast Guard. He's also had a lot of say over where he went and what he got to do over the years. I've got another friend that joined at the ripe age of 28 or so with his life going nowhere and went into aviation - been just as good on him as well. He's now a gunner's mate in a helo unit out of Miami and loving it.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='983317' date='May 16 2006, 09:38 PM']
ok, I was not speaking naive. I was active duty for a period of time with a special opperations group that I thought was the coolest thing when I was younger. where I did some things I was not proud of (*kill count)and a few people here know about. What I was trying to say is that the function of a protective body is very important, but that is not what our military is about right now. It is just a job right now. Or it is an unjust war. If it ever got to the point of defending your family and country you would be drafted..;) You can do far more for your country or your faith by promoting and protecting from the inside than from signin up for uncle sam
[/quote]
:shock:
wow rev I had no idea!

infinitelord - Listen to the guys in this thread who were actually in the military. I'm not in the military, nor have I ever been (although I recently seriously considered it, and lightly considered it for a while), so I'm not going to say too much other than listen to the guys who are actually in the military, not the other guys. It looks to me like the people who wrote more in their posts are the ones worth listening to right here... So pretend that my post is 5x as long as it is *cough*