An Old School Catholic Message Board

Active, Active/Contemplative, Contemplative (Cloistered)

franciscanheart

thanks for all this information!

not only is it really interesting, but its also really helpful knowledge for teaching my vocations course! :)

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='977517' date='May 10 2006, 11:02 AM']
i think the biggest question is between active and active contemplative. i know the sisters in laredo (the community of st john) are contemplative but i would guess not cloistered as they let us in to adoration in their small chapel. and spoke with us and had a small giftshop in the front room. they didn't go out to the community to do work, but they weren't sealed in either.
[/quote]

Yes, the Sisters of St. John who wear the white/cream veils are contemplative. There is a contemplative/active group of them as well, but none in the US as I understand. They wear grey veils.

For the contemplative Sisters of St. John this means that they eat their meals in their rooms, with the exception of Sunday lunch when they eat together. They generally do not have guests at meals unless someone is discerning with the Community. They keep silence in the cloister. They do interact with others outside of the convent, but contact is minimal. They go to mass often in the Brother's chapel, i.e., on Sundays or when there is only one priest available. They attend social events on rare occassions, i.e., the final profession of a Brother, certain feasts (I think Pentecost is one). They live a life hidden in the heart of Christ. I'm sure there are other distinguishing features, but these are the ones which I have observed. :idontknow:

Each contemplative order is different...

franciscanheart

[quote name='Birgitta Noel' post='981979' date='May 15 2006, 09:27 PM']
Yes, the Sisters of St. John who wear the white/cream veils are contemplative. There is a contemplative/active group of them as well, but none in the US as I understand. They wear grey veils.

For the contemplative Sisters of St. John this means that they eat their meals in their rooms, with the exception of Sunday lunch when they eat together. They generally do not have guests at meals unless someone is discerning with the Community. They keep silence in the cloister. They do interact with others outside of the convent, but contact is minimal. They go to mass often in the Brother's chapel, i.e., on Sundays or when there is only one priest available. They attend social events on rare occassions, i.e., the final profession of a Brother, certain feasts (I think Pentecost is one). They live a life hidden in the heart of Christ. I'm sure there are other distinguishing features, but these are the ones which I have observed. :idontknow:

Each contemplative order is different...
[/quote]
Sounds about how I always understood them to be. They are awesome. ^_^