An Old School Catholic Message Board

Active, Active/Contemplative, Contemplative (Cloistered)

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

Can someone please explain the difference between active, active/contemplative, and contemplative (cloistered) orders? I'm ignorant of all things in this area. All of these terms are confusing me. If they mean what I think I mean, I have reservations with their labeling. If not, I'll be schooled and my humility increased.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='976374' date='May 9 2006, 02:41 PM']
Can someone please explain the difference between active, active/contemplative, and contemplative (cloistered) orders? I'm ignorant of all things in this area. All of these terms are confusing me. If they mean what I think I mean, I have reservations with their labeling. If not, I'll be schooled and my humility increased.
Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Active--active apostolates outside the convent. Community usually meets for Mass; Morning, Evening, and Night Prayer. The Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul are a good example of active. He dispensed them from the Office during the day so they could work in acts of charity. They take simple vows.

Contemplative/Active--used to be known as "semi-cloistered." Have a great emphasis on the community's and personal prayer life. If the sisters aren't out working in their missions, they're at the convent involved in prayer or other household duties. They also take simple vows.

Cloistered--there's two kinds: constitutional and papal. Constitutional enclosure is what the Benedictine sisters of Virginia Dale, Colorado, have. The Enclosure is determined by their constitutions.

Papal enclosure is like the Passionist nuns of Erlanger. Papally enclosed sisters are known as "nuns" because they take solemn vows. Poor Clare Colettines are also known as papally enclosed nuns. The Passionists take a vow of enclosure.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

franciscanheart

Simple and solemn... the difference being the one vow of enclosure?

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='976385' date='May 9 2006, 02:55 PM']
Simple and solemn... the difference being the one vow of enclosure?
[/quote]

Solemn vows are made by papally enclosed nuns. Some charisms add the vow of enclosure. Women religious who make solemn vows are properly called "nuns." Those who make simple vows are called, "sisters."

Blessings,
Gemma

TheresaMF

Can you say more about the distinction between Active and Contemplative/Active? The Nashville Dominicans say Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Compline together, and do apostolate during the day. The teaching sisters don't say the little hours, although I don't know about the ones at the motherhouse. I think they are C/A, but how is that different from Active? Is it just the monastic emphasis? What does a community look like without that monastic strain?

[quote name='TheresaMF' post='976601' date='May 9 2006, 06:47 PM']
Can you say more about the distinction between Active and Contemplative/Active? The Nashville Dominicans say Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Compline together, and do apostolate during the day. The teaching sisters don't say the little hours, although I don't know about the ones at the motherhouse. I think they are C/A, but how is that different from Active? Is it just the monastic emphasis? What does a community look like without that monastic strain?
[/quote]

Again, the most poignant example of fully active are the Daughters of Charity (I'm referencing before the changes of VII). St. Vincent de Paul didn't want them cloistered--said the homes of the poor were their cloister; and dispensed them from the Office--their charitable works were their office. Blessed Rosalie Rendu said she prayed best in the middle of the street.

It really all depends on CHARISM--what gift is the order giving to the Church and the world. Many, many new orders are combining contemplation with action (therefore being C/A). "Fully active" orders are becoming fewer and fewer. The SOLC is proposing a new, "white-winged" community, called the [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/charity/"]Congregation of Charity of the Miraculous Medal[/url], which will embody all of what St. Vincent de Paul wanted his daughters to be like--praying best in the middle of the street; no Office during the day, save their charitable works, etc.

Our SOLC Foundations will have the whole gammut--from very strictly cloistered recluses to the most active charity sister-workers.

I hope I've been of some assistance.

Blessings,
Gemma

franciscanheart

So a community which has daily Mass, adoration, meditation, Office, and apostolates would be active/contemplative?

[quote name='Gemma' post='976380' date='May 9 2006, 01:50 PM']
Poor Clare Colettines are also known as papally enclosed nuns. The Passionists take a vow of enclosure.

[/quote]

is it only PCC nuns or is it PC's in general?

[quote name='Gemma' post='977215' date='May 10 2006, 04:49 AM']

I hope I've been of some assistance.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Yes you have given a more clear view to me, thank you, you also have a lot of information!

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='977349' date='May 10 2006, 10:03 AM']
So a community which has daily Mass, adoration, meditation, Office, and apostolates would be active/contemplative?
[/quote]

Like I said before, it depends on the charism--what the Holy Ghost told the founder the community would be classed as.

Mass, Office, Meditation, adoration, and apostolates could be considered C/A.

I think some of the religious on this board might also have some answers, too.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='uruviel' post='977351' date='May 10 2006, 10:03 AM']
Yes you have given a more clear view to me, thank you, you also have a lot of information!
[/quote]

The Poor Clares are the Second Order of St. Francis, and therefore were all meant to be cloistered. Although, I've heard that in the earliest days of the Poor Ladies, they were not strictly cloistered at all. Post VatII, though, the OSC (Order of St. Clare) is more "liberal" and not as strictly cloistered as they have been in the past. Poor Clare Colettines, however, will have nothing to do with that, and are very strictly cloistered. There are about 13 different expressions of the Poor Clare charism in the world. I'll have to find that page and post the link. Quite interesting.

The major orders will have a Second Order of cloistered religious. The first order will be, of course, the mendicant friars, and a third order for both religious in simple vows, and devoted laity who may or may not make "promises." There's the Augustinians; Norbertines; Dominicans; Franciscans; and Carmelites.

There are various cloistered religious who take a vow of enclosure. I've never really heard of a vow of silence. I think Hollywood had something to do with that.

Blessings,
Gemma

there is somewhat of a difference though.

Active/contemplative do not necessarily live a life of total seclusion (like they teach people/etc.)

The full contemplative communities, while not necessarily cloistered, do not maintain as much contact with people outside of the monastery/convent as others.

(i think)

franciscanheart

i think the biggest question is between active and active contemplative. i know the sisters in laredo (the community of st john) are contemplative but i would guess not cloistered as they let us in to adoration in their small chapel. and spoke with us and had a small giftshop in the front room. they didn't go out to the community to do work, but they weren't sealed in either.

[quote name='uruviel' post='977351' date='May 10 2006, 10:03 AM']
[/quote]

I replied to this once today, but it got off somewhere??? :idontknow:

The Second Order of St. Francis--the Poor Clares--supposedly were not cloistered at first. That's the way it always goes, however. Cloister is a gift given by the Church--you have to earn it, essentially.

There are something like 13 different observances of Poor Clare life. Here in the U.S. we have the Order of St. Clare (OSC)--about half of them don't wear the veil (their post-VatII constitutions state they just have to wear a brown dress and the Franciscan cord). Anyway, then there's the Poor Clare Colettines (PCC) who are very orthodox. After them's the PCPAs--the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration. Then there's the Capuchins--(OSCCap.).

I have heard that there's a cloister of "Penitents of St. Francis" somewhere in the world, and there's only three members.

Ever hear of the Annonciades? They're part of the Poor Clare tree, as are the Conceptionistas.

I find the Capuchins of Perpetual Adoration to be particularly interesting.

There's going to be cloistered nuns as part of the five great orders--Augustinians; Dominicans; Franciscans; Norbertines; and Carmelites. Each of these have a first order for priests; second order for cloistered nuns; and third orders for "regular" religious (like the Nashville Dominicans) and secular laity.

My 2 cents.

Blessings,
Gemma

Here's the link for the [url="http://poorclare.com/observe.html"]16 Poor Clare Observances[/url]

Blessings,
Gemma