An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contemplatives, but not cloistered

LilyofSaintMaria

LilyofSaintMaria

I am hoping you can help me out with this. I am looking for orders/communities that consider themselves contemplative (very prayerful), but they are not cloistered. Such as the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth and the Little Sisters of Saint Francis. Please name any that you can think of. Thank you very much!
God bless,
In the Risen Lord,
Bernadette

Hmmmm, I know of many Dominican communities are active contemplative (in that they are "very prayerful" but not cloistered). Contemplation lies at the heart of Dominican spirituality-- Contemplata aliis Tradere--to contemplate and give to other the fruits of our contemplation.

Likewise, I think many people could make a strong argument for the contemplative quality of communities such as the Sisters of Life and Missionaries of Charity.

Hope that's helpful :)

The Missionaries of Charity actually have a contemplative branch that aren't cloistered. They spend most of their day inside praying, but they still do apostolic work for a few hours each day.

I would definitely say the active branch is pretty contemplative, too. They have Thursdays as their day of prayer where they don't work.

magnificat

Same is true for the Sisters of Life where every Friday is a day of prayer and they have a monthly day of recollection as well. And they spend about half their day in prayer each day.

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' post='975961' date='May 9 2006, 07:54 AM']
I am hoping you can help me out with this. I am looking for orders/communities that consider themselves contemplative (very prayerful), but they are not cloistered. Such as the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth and the Little Sisters of Saint Francis. Please name any that you can think of. Thank you very much!
God bless,
In the Risen Lord,
Bernadette
[/quote]

If you're in Michigan, do you know if the Benedictine Sisters of Corpus Christi Monastery is still in existence in Ann Arbor? They're considered contemplative, with limited apostolate.

There's also the New Communities Consortium on our website: [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]Society of Our Lady of the Cloister[/url] There is one community listed as being in Southern Missouri. They will be considered contemplative.

The Handmaids of the Most Holy Trinity in South Bend, Indiana, are contemplative. They run an ashram/hermitage/retreat center. They're also on our website--look on the "Monasteries in Serious Condition" page.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

P.S. I will be putting an envelope of the materials you requested in the mail to you today or tomorrow. G.

the lords sheep

I think (but I could be wrong) that some of the Visitation sisters are this way... They are considered contemplatives, but many still teach.

[quote name='the lords sheep' post='976045' date='May 9 2006, 09:59 AM']
I think (but I could be wrong) that some of the Visitation sisters are this way... They are considered contemplatives, but many still teach.
[/quote]

I knew I was forgetting someone. Yes, there is the Second Federation of the Visitation, but only two monasteries wear the habit--Georgetown, DC, and Brooklyn, NY. Georgetown gets out more, and wear a purple habit. Brooklyn seems to have more vocations. Both of these communities' websites are available on our website.

Blessings,
Gemma
[url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]Society of Our Lady of the Cloister[/url]

SisterAli

I know that School Sisters of Christ the King are active, but very contemplative when it comes to their prayer life.

SisterAli

I also know of this community: [url="http://www.bellwetheromaha.org/charism.php"]Intercessors of the Lamb[/url]

SisterAli

As I remember or find some...I'm just gonna post them!

[url="http://www.archstl.org/prayer/goodshepherd.htm"]CONTEMPLATIVE SISTERS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD[/url]

The Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate describe themselves as contemplative-missionary.

Lilllabettt

The [url="http://www.casamaria.org"]Sister Servants of the Eternal Word[/url]!!!! They are awesome! (Okay, I'm biased.)

LilyofSaintMaria

Gee you guys, thanks! I didn't check any out, yet. Not enough time at the moment, but just wanted to say thanks!
Bernadette