An Old School Catholic Message Board

Maybe a dumb question?

VoTeckam

srmarymichael

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='975860' date='May 8 2006, 10:17 PM']

(So let me get to the question :P: !) To what extent is a religious sister allowed to keep in touch with their family. Are visits allowed? What happens when someone in your family dies? Can you go to the funeral?

[/quote]

Welcome to the pham!!!

Like most are saying -- each Community is different. At our last Chapter, for example, our Community decided to allow 3 weeks every year for "vacation". Some take the whole 3 weeks home. Others take a week home and a week with the Sisters on a short get-a-way time. With us (I'm giving this because it's all I know really), we only go to funerals for the immediate family. If our mother or father gets very sick, we usually ask for permission to be with them, especially if there is danger of death.

Please, be at peace. Jesus our loving Spouse gives us the grace to deal with all of our fears.... :cupidhit:

Edited by srmarymichael

oh yes def. a family member in a religous community is such a blessing to the family whether they realize it or not.

srmarymichael

I forgot -- most Communities also allow families to come visit them. They (we) have different policies, depending on if you are a novice or not, etc. We have a Visiting Day once a month for those that live close by. Most Communities (I think?) have a guest house for families to stay in.

magnificat

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='976605' date='May 9 2006, 05:52 PM']
For those of you who asked for more info, I am a 20 year old college student in VA. As far as my vocation, I feel called towards an "active" religious life. I have been "shopping around" (lol) online through vocation placement websites, ect. I have recently been led to focus my attention on two orders, Sisters of Life and the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. I haven't yet spoken with the vocations director of these orders, but it is first on my two do list once finals are over.

Is anyone else considering either of these orders, or have you been to visit? I can already tell that phatmass is going to be such a blessing in my discernment.

[/quote]

Oooh me me me!!! :)
I've visited the Srs. of Life and they are awesome! I am hopefully (God willing!) visiting them again this summer and I am so excited about the possibility! And their vocations director is wonderful...although they don't use email or computers really so it is sometimes a little tricky to get a hold of them...but don't be discouraged by it!
In terms of their visitation policy, they get 10 days a year once you're professed. During postulancy, I believe you get to go home briefly before you enter the novitiate. And your family can come visit, but I don't remember the specifics of that right now.
I've also heard great things about the CFR sisters. I know that the Sisters of Life work with the CFR friars frequently on the retreat apostolate, but that's about all I know.
Prayers for your finals and let us know how it turns out when you get a chance to contact these orders!