An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ahh THE MISCONCEPTIONS

Krush2k2

[url="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=438305"]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=438305[/url]

Dont you hate it when people post, acting like they know what they are talking about but are totally wrong, esp regarding our church

OMG. This is excellent. I was laughing and laughing.

Go to this link and read this. I love the biting humor. I think I'm going to see the DaVinci Code now. It seems the ones who are offended and the ones who belive this movie are idiots anyway. The wittiness of the non-Catholics pointing out what's wrong with the movie and addressing the "Cathlolics" who claim to be offended is good enjoyment. Not everybody are idiots, even if you're not "Cathlolic"! LOL!

Did you see how the guy who posted that "Cathlolics" didn't like sex was refuted by a Catholic with the Catechism and a non-Catholic with reason? Ha ha ha.

Thy Geekdom Come

I don't have the time but I think we need to send a crusade there.

All I ever hear in my discussions with non-Catholics, in person and online, is misconceptions. It's a pandemic. In my experience, extremely rare is the case that someone speaks negatively of the Church/Catholicism without their arguments being based on misconceptions of some kind.

Because the garden-variety atheist/agnostic views organized religion, specifically Christianity, as "stupid," this gives them the illusion of intellectual superiority over religion and religious-minded persons. Thus, because religion to them is pointless, they feel that there isn't much to it, and in turn think that they know all about it -- at least, enough to speak about it authoritatively. In my anti-Christian days I personified this mentality, spouting off about Christianity when I didn't know a beaver dam thing about it outside of things that I had heard from friends (misconceptions and outright falsities) and seen/read in the mainstream media (more misconceptions and outright falsities).

Thank God for good apologists. Their ministry is sorely needed out there in the trenches.

Jesuspaidtheprice

I'd like to think that I don't have that many misconceptions. I don't know all there is to know about Catholic history or the faith. But I know enough to know that Catholics are divided, even on what truth is, no less than Protestants are. Look at the debates you've had between the two camps you call traditionalists and charismatics. It seems even in Catholicism a wide variety of beliefs are permissible. I just don't get why some Catholics remain Catholics with how critical and negative they are of the Pope. It's a lot better to just be out on your own than to live without love.

Peace.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='973258' date='May 6 2006, 02:50 AM']
I'd like to think that I don't have that many misconceptions. I don't know all there is to know about Catholic history or the faith. But I know enough to know that Catholics are divided, even on what truth is, no less than Protestants are. Look at the debates you've had between the two camps you call traditionalists and charismatics. It seems even in Catholicism a wide variety of beliefs are permissible. I just don't get why some Catholics remain Catholics with how critical and negative they are of the Pope. It's a lot better to just be out on your own than to live without love.

Peace.
[/quote]
i'm sorry buddy but i disagree with you on "being on your own" part. you can't be on your own. you have to be part of the mystical body of christ, the church.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='973258' date='May 6 2006, 12:50 AM']

Peace.
[/quote]

This is exactly why people shouldn't bash the Pope. (Although I must admit I really haven't seen any bashing.) I'll say a Hail Mary for you JesusPaidThePrice guy.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='973258' date='May 6 2006, 01:50 AM']
I'd like to think that I don't have that many misconceptions. I don't know all there is to know about Catholic history or the faith. But I know enough to know that Catholics are divided, even on what truth is, no less than Protestants are.[/quote]

Well, there are over 30,000 Protestant denominations. Contrast that with one Catholic Church. I'd say that Catholicism wins the prize for unity. Sure, there are differences of opinion among the faithful on certain matters, but the Catholic faith itself does not change. That is what the pope, cardinals, and bishops are there for, to defend the faith against those who seek to change it.

[quote name='Nathan' post='973341' date='May 6 2006, 06:11 AM']
Well, there are over 30,000 Protestant denominations. Contrast that with one Catholic Church. I'd say that Catholicism wins the prize for unity. Sure, there are differences of opinion among the faithful on certain matters, but the Catholic faith itself does not change. That is what the pope, cardinals, and bishops are there for, to defend the faith against those who seek to change it.[/quote]The Catholic Faith doesn't change? The words of the Mass, the language, the rubrics, the music, the architecture, the definintion of the Sacraments, the application ofthe Sacraments, canon law, discipline, doctrine, new Dogma, etc.

Let's cut the bull. What HASN'T changed in the last 1.500 years? I begininnig to believe that what HASN'T changed is the REAL Catholic Christianity. Everything else is minor and acceptable if it doesn't disagree with the core fundamentals. The only 'Infalliblity' that the Catholic Church posses are those fundamentals, most, if not all, are also in other Christian Churchs.

Brother Adam

[quote name='jasJis' post='973344' date='May 6 2006, 10:22 AM']
The Catholic Faith doesn't change? The words of the Mass, the language, the rubrics, the music, the architecture, the [b]definintion[/b] of the Sacraments, the application ofthe Sacraments, canon law, discipline,[b] doctrine[/b], new Dogma, etc.

Let's cut the bull. What HASN'T changed in the last 1.500 years? I begininnig to believe that what HASN'T changed is the REAL Catholic Christianity. Everything else is minor and acceptable if it doesn't disagree with the core fundamentals. The only 'Infalliblity' that the Catholic Church posses are those fundamentals, most, if not all, are also in other Christian Churchs.
[/quote]

Really. What doctrine? Now, we did not of course say that Jesus was one prosopon and two natures, consubstantial with the Father until after Nicea, but we didn't teach against it before Nicea either. Doctrine develops.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='973379' date='May 6 2006, 08:39 AM']
Really. What doctrine? Now, we did not of course say that Jesus was one prosopon and two natures, consubstantial with the Father until after Nicea, but we didn't teach against it before Nicea either. Doctrine develops.
[/quote]
agree