An Old School Catholic Message Board

How confident is the church

infinitelord1

Myles Domini

Infinitelord you may want to purchase a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church or the Compendium of the Catechism from whence this extract comes:

[quote][url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P2N.HTM"]III. The Final Purification, or Purgatory[/url]

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.604 The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. the tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:605

As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.606

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin."607 From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.608 The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead:

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.609
[/quote]

Check out [url="http://www.IanPaisley.net"]http://www.IanPaisley.net[/url]

Catechism & bible verses... along with a rebut of one of Ian's articles in ref to purgatory.

Guest JeffCR07

confident enough to view it as necessary for someone to believe if he or she wants to take the name "Catholic" :D:

Yes, brought up Catholic, we were TOTALLY secure in the reality of LIMBO.

Then one day.....

Yes, brought up Catholic, we were TOTALLY secure in the reality of 12 hour fasting before Communion.

Then one day....

Yes, brought up Catholic, we were TOTALLY secure in the reality that Muslims were pagans bound for hell.

Then one day....

Yes, brought up Catholic, we were TOTALLY secure in the reality that the Latin Mass was eternal.

Then one day...

As dedicated Catholics, we were TOLD that PURGETORY was forever, real and would NEVER be changed.

Then one day, it went from WORSE punishement than hell, to merely a place of seperation from God.

Then one day....

blovedwolfofgod

Eutychus,
There is a little bit of a difference between dogma and theories such as limbo, or what the little details of purgatory are. The Latin Mass is still valid... Where was the Muslim thing? Was it in one of the infallible documents or was it a traditionalist interpretation of Trent? And then there is also the difference between the matter of dogma and practice, Tradition and tradition... like the 12 hour fast being a matter of tradition, not a matter of faith and dogma.

And I dont know if anyone else said hi to ya, so hello!

Edited by blovedwolfofgod

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='infinitelord1' post='970968' date='May 4 2006, 10:22 AM']
Is the church 100% in its belief that purgatory currently exists?
[/quote]
its dogma and thus absolutely certain.

why do you ask?

[quote]Who taught you that purgatory was worse than Hell? [/quote]

Gee, I dunno.....

Maybe my nuns? And few guys that you may have heard of in passing. And they seemed have authority that even my padre, try as he might, didn't quite bring to bear.

[quote][b][u]St. Cyril of Alexandria. He states that "it would be preferable to suffer all the torments of earth until judgment day rather than to pass one day in purgatory."And St. Thomas Aquinas held that the least pain in purgatory was greater than the worst that could be experienced in this life.[/u][/b][/quote]

But then, what do those guys know, they are not in the Magisterium THIS YEAR, now are they??

Smooch.

Edited by Eutychus

Guest Rick777

"it would be preferable to suffer all the torments of earth until judgment day rather than to pass one day in purgatory.' - St. Cyril of Alexandria

Earth, not hell buddy.....

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Eutychus' post='976726' date='May 9 2006, 07:22 PM']
Gee, I dunno.....

Maybe my nuns? And few guys that you may have heard of in passing....
But then, what do those guys know, they are not in the Magisterium THIS YEAR, now are they??

Smooch.
[/quote]
Note however that these quotes are talking about the pains of life, not hell. Hell is eternal separation from God, thus the greatest possible punishment.

No one is denying that purgatory will be painful. And those quotes illuminate the fact that it will probably be much more painful than anything we have experienced in our lives. However, this pain is put to good use, as it cleans us up so that we may go to heaven.

[quote] Hell is eternal separation from God, thus the greatest possible punishment.[/quote]

Goodness then.

Does that mean ALL those paintings in Catholic churches I saw on my THREE trips on the relic tours including that tourist trap on the Tiber were LYING then?

Sheesh. I need new lenses on my Nikon, I honestly could have SWORN that those were EVIL TORMENTS including fire and torture that were depicted and used to shake down the pew classes for suitable emoluents to build those massive palaces I spent so much time in.

You mean that Dante was lying?

And all those MASTERS who were commisioned by the Popes and Bishops were just "carried away with active imaginations?"

[url="http://www.sufferingsouls.com/purgatory-pergatory-purgetory.jpg"]http://www.sufferingsouls.com/purgatory-pe...y-purgetory.jpg[/url]

[img]http://www.marys-touch.com/truth/purgatory.JPG[/img]