An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mass of desire?

Farsight one

Farsight one

So my family was on vacation some time ago and we were provided a list of mass times by the hotel we were staying at. The mass times, however, were quite a bit out of date, and so in an attempt to go to 1:00 sunday mass (if i remember correctly), we discovered that there was no longer a 1:00 sunday mass. Nor was there any more mass that day. Thus, we missed mass that weekend, though we put forth our best effort to attend.

So, with that scenario in mind, is there a "mass of desire" so to speak?

there is no culpability for the sin of missing mass on sunday because it was not your intention. that doesn't mean you got the graces that would come from going to mass on sunday-- you did not-- but since it was unintentional there was no mortal sin committed and you can still present yourself for holy communion next sunday.

however, you ought to make a stronger effort in the future to make sure you do not miss mass. I don't think this time it was due to any culpable negligence on your part... fool you once shame on the hotel's outdated mass schedule... fool you twice shame on you, confirm when and where the mass will be more thouroughly ahead of time next time you're on vacation ;)

journeyman

one possible way of avoiding that problem in the future (not that all its listings are fully current)
[url="http://www.masstimes.org/dotNet/default.aspx"]Mass Times[/url]