An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is abortion EVER ok?

styx chyx

Is abortion EVER ok?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bush is pro-life and all who say otherwise prove their ignorance and lack of logic.

[quote name='ironmonk' post='967220' date='May 1 2006, 01:17 PM']
Bush is pro-life and all who say otherwise prove their ignorance and lack of logic.
[/quote]

LOL

Sudden urge to pull out the old "I'm rubber you're glue" defense.

Anyone who includes allowances for abortions in cases of rape and incest does not know the Church's definition of prolife.

Edited by jaime

Brother Adam

[quote name='hot stuff' post='967250' date='May 1 2006, 04:36 PM']
LOL

Sudden urge to pull out the old "I'm rubber you're glue" defense.

Anyone who includes allowances for abortions in cases of rape and incest does not know the Church's definition of prolife.
[/quote]

He also is not Catholic.

If one must choose between Planned Parenthood and Focus on the Family, I'll vote for Focus on the Family.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='967294' date='May 1 2006, 02:13 PM']
He also is not Catholic.

If one must choose between Planned Parenthood and Focus on the Family, I'll vote for Focus on the Family.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with that Adam. I'm not saying that because he's prochoice, he's an equal to Kerry. I'm just tired of Ironmonk and others disregarding what prolife is so that they can say Bush is prolife. Its insincere at best and at worst its ignorant.

Brother Adam

I wouldn't necessarily assign 'prochoice' to someone such as Bush who allows for abortion in those two instances. It is still wrong, and gravely immoral, but Bush still does work for the Pro-life movement. The president fully supports the Prolife March every January and usually gives a speech with what his administration has done to persue the protection of the unborn in our society. I suppose there isn't a term to describe Bush, besides he is "80% prolife". He certianly works towards almost all prolife causes, and does not support organizations such as Planned Parenthood.

But you don't get to define it and neither do I.

If someone advocates for the a woman to be able to choose to have an abortion, whatever the reason, they are prochoice.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='967391' date='May 1 2006, 09:11 PM']

If someone advocates for the a woman to be able to choose to have an abortion, whatever the reason, they are prochoice.
[/quote]
It really annoys me when people act like he's St. Dubya, but I think it's more like a spectrum than as black and white as you make it out to be.

My father's an OBGYN, so we've talked about this quite a bit. He doesn't do them, but believes them to be right if and only if the purpose is to save the mother's life.

Otherwise, as far as abortion after rape goes, it's absolutely wrong. Augustine said something relevant in City of God, except he was talking about suicide after rape. The gist is that another person's wrong doesn't violate your purity and commitment to God. It is their wrong, and not yours. Because of this, it is absolutely wrong to harm another person (in this case your own child) because of another person's sin. That would simply make you a second guilty party.

Still, I said yes. If you consider saving the mother to be an abortion, then that is the exception.

[quote name='Diamond' post='967613' date='May 1 2006, 08:03 PM']
My father's an OBGYN, so we've talked about this quite a bit. He doesn't do them, but believes them to be right if and only if the purpose is to save the mother's life.

Otherwise, as far as abortion after rape goes, it's absolutely wrong. Augustine said something relevant in City of God, except he was talking about suicide after rape. The gist is that another person's wrong doesn't violate your purity and commitment to God. It is their wrong, and not yours. Because of this, it is absolutely wrong to harm another person (in this case your own child) because of another person's sin. That would simply make you a second guilty party.

Still, I said yes. If you consider saving the mother to be an abortion, then that is the exception.
[/quote]

And that view is not consistent with accepted Catholic teaching.

Brother Adam

[quote name='hot stuff' post='967391' date='May 1 2006, 06:11 PM']

[/quote]

Though like many labels, it is almost meaningless, such as calling someone a 'liberal' or 'conservative'. It is only a vague reference to where they may stand.

[quote name='Connor' post='967729' date='May 1 2006, 09:46 PM']
It can be if the pregnancy is fatal to the mother. or inconvient. JK. :sweat:
[/quote]

Try again.

[quote name='Cam42' post='967717' date='May 1 2006, 09:41 PM']
And that view is not consistent with accepted Catholic teaching.
[/quote]

I'm "Protest"-ant. My views are based on Scripture, prayer and the insight of the spirit to know what is good and what is not. I'm sure yours were originally based on the same.

As for the discrepancy... :idontknow:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Diamond' post='968772' date='May 2 2006, 05:34 PM']
I'm "Protest"-ant. My views are based on Scripture, prayer and the insight of the spirit to know what is good and what is not. I'm sure yours were originally based on the same.

As for the discrepancy... :idontknow:
[/quote]

Catholic teaching is based on Tradition which gave us the Scriptures.