An Old School Catholic Message Board

approach to common woman priests argument

sarahsohot

What about Christ is in all... no more Gentile or Jew, bond or free, rich or poor, male or female... but all in all?

I hear this alot...what are some good responses?

AIM me

oops this is actual revprodeji...I posted under my fiancee's log-in that she created so she could use the emoticons on her powerpoint

I find the strongest arguement against women priests is of course tradition. Jesus wasn't afraid to be countercultural, so why wouldn't he have ordained women as priests?

But to address the "Christ is in all" arguement, I would point to the clear differences between men and women, how we each have our own gifts and roles in life. One article I read in First Things a while ago (I'll try to find the link) explained how it is important for men to be priests precisely because the role of a priest plays (preaching about love and forgiveness, caring for his flock) is so similar to the role that all women are called to play in society and men need to hear such things from a man. The article asks, What would the Jewish people have done if a woman gave the sermon on the mount? They probably wouldn't have paid much attention because a lot of what Christ said is what any woman probably could have told you.

Anyway, I'll try to find the link, I've probably butchered their arguement in my summary of it. :P:

I think it all comes down to the fact that Catholic spirituality is inherently feminine, so with women priests it is in effect shutting men out entirely. Funny how in reality the opposite of what most proponents of women priests argue is true.

OK, here it is:
Women, Ordination and Angels - [url="http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9304/articles/novak.html"]http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9304...cles/novak.html[/url]

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

Scriture never said we could.

Tradition says we never have.

The Magisterium says we never will. :)

[quote name='Fulton Sheen Warrior' post='965365' date='Apr 29 2006, 02:22 PM']
+JMJ+

[/quote]
I like you.

Brother Adam

I tell ya' it all keeps coming back to Sacramentum Ordinis. While pro-women priests keep making the same argument thta Adolf von Harnack makes, that is not a Catholic position. Christ established a hierarchy of institution in which he chose only men and through which only men can ordain. We are bound by the decision of the master.

St.MGoretti

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='966899' date='May 1 2006, 11:21 AM']
I tell ya' it all keeps coming back to Sacramentum Ordinis. While pro-women priests keep making the same argument thta Adolf von Harnack makes, that is not a Catholic position. Christ established a hierarchy of institution in which he chose only men and through which only men can ordain. We are bound by the decision of the master.
[/quote]

Thank you!! I have been trying to find a way to explain to people why I am so strongly against women priests through the teachings of the church and scripture. I totaly agree with your point of view.

MichaelFilo

Well, since the point was that quote, one ought to ask if that were the case, why were women not numbered amongst the apostles even though they held such a special place with Jesus (note both Marys). Jesus did not mean to say that there is no distinction; clearly he chose only Jews to be his Apostles, but instead he jmmeant that in Jesus all those old things lose meaning because we are unifie din one body. Of course, this may seem confusing because if we are all unified in one body, why can't women do what mean do. it's quite simple, St. Paul tells us that each consists of a different part, and the eye cannot say to the foot I do not need you. We play different roles and remain distinct, but are unified in one body.

God bless,
Mikey

thessalonian

[quote name='Fulton Sheen Warrior' post='965365' date='Apr 29 2006, 03:22 PM']
+JMJ+

[/quote]

Man is that succinct or what! Thx.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I once heard from a certain Protestant women who was breifly discussing church leadership and authority.

She said that male leadership is there not for the suppression of women, but for the protection of women.

SHALOM