An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Case for Christ

hierochloe

goldenchild17

Just a few non-Christian sources of the time that I can remember off the top of my head :). I know there's more but I need to re-check out the book from the library.

“But not all the relief that could come from man, not all the bounties that the prince could bestow, nor all the atonements which could be presented to the gods, availed to relieve Nero from the infamy of being believed to have ordered the conflagration, the fire of Rome. Hence to suppress the rumor, he falsely charged with the guilt, and punished Christians, who were hated for their enormities. Christus, the founder of the name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius: but the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their center and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind.”

Cornelius Tacitus, Annals XV.44.

"But the younger Ananus who, as we said, received the high priesthood, was of a bold disposition and exceptionally daring; he followed the party of the Sadducees, who are severe in judgment above all the Jews, as we have already shown. As therefore Ananus was of such a disposition, he thought he had now a good opportunity, as Festus was now dead, and Albinus was still on the road; so he assembled a council of judges, and brought it before the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ, whose name was James, together with some others, and having accused them as law-breakers, he delivered them over to be stoned."

Flavius Josephus, Antiquities 20.9.1 §200-201.

"Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians so named from him are not extinct at this day."

Flavius Josephus

There are also the testimonies of Pliny the Younger and Suetonius and a number more that I can't remember but will find later

Edited by goldenchild17

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='970643' date='May 4 2006, 07:23 AM']
There are also the testimonies of Pliny the Younger and Suetonius and a number more that I can't remember but will find later
[/quote]

That's an important one because it's one of the earliest non-Christian records of belief in Christ's Divinity. When Pliny the Younger interrogated some Christians he wrote a letter to the Emperor Trajan, mentioning some of their practices: "They sing hymns and worship Christ as if he were a god."

Also, above there was some question to Josephus's record of Christ. Josephus makes two mentions, one is not doubted, the other some scholars believe has partial interpolation, few believe it is entirely fabricated.

I just don't get why no one questions Buddha's existence :idontknow:

• 2 weeks later...
hierochloe

I think I got someone I can use as my parallel case in history: Pythagoras. The historical record, a clearly un-biased one anyways, appears to be equally weak for this character when held to the same standard that Jesus-myth supporters use to further their case against Jesus' existence. Much of the biographical information passed on to us from antiquity on Pythagoras comes from sources which bear exactly the same potential for bias-based inaccuracy as the gospels in the bible, yet these sources are accepted by experts nearly unequivically, not to mention the whole western world. At least it looks that way to me, someone whom is anything but a history guru. Anyone know if I am missing anything big here on Pythagoras? If not then this is a ringer for me. :lol_roll:

hierochloe

Sorry if this is a bit of a necro-post but get a load of this:

[b]CNN Video: Atheist sues for proof of Jesus[/b]

[url="http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=505382472"]Teh Video[/url]

[quote name='hierochloe' post='989766' date='May 24 2006, 02:57 PM']
Sorry if this is a bit of a necro-post but get a load of this:

[b]CNN Video: Atheist sues for proof of Jesus[/b]

[url="http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=505382472"]Teh Video[/url]
[/quote]

This is just a publicity stunt. I believe fully that he is trying to get rich off of his book by doing something that would get WorldWide News coverage. I can't believe someone would be this stupid to sue an organization for something that (even if true) was done 2000 years ago.