An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would the SSPXers come back if Un. Indult was granted?

missionseeker

brendan1104

it is not interpretation, it is the actual words.... i have to find my documents book, then ill give quotes...

brendan1104

Re-examine Vatican II, SSPX leader urges

Apr. 26, 2006
CWNews.com

Link to this text and others

The head of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X has pressed his case for a re-examination of Vatican II teachings, in an interview with the French magazine Famille Chrétienne.

Bishop Bernard Fellay told the French publication that he retained his hope that Pope Benedict XVI will allow broader use of the old Latin Mass. "Opening the doors to the old liturgy would probably be the most fruitful way to resolve the crisis in the Church," he said.

The leader of the SSPX, which broke from Rome in 1988, said that he would be slow to form a firm opinion about the leadership of Pope Benedict XVI. "We need action," he said; "words are not the important thing."

Bishop Fellay told Famille Chrétienne that although he and the Pope found a good deal of common ground for discussion, they continue to take very different views regarding Vatican II. While acknowledging that Pope Benedict has said that the Council teachings must be interpreted in the light of Catholic tradition, the bishop said that he would go further. "We propose to get beyond the Council," he said, "looking higher, toward principles that cannot become outdated because they are eternal."

[quote name='qfnol31' post='961971' date='Apr 26 2006, 03:37 PM']
It may just be me, but it seemed that Brandon was saying the heresies following from a bad interpretation of Vatican II need to be corrected...With that I agree.
[/quote]

Yep, it is just you.

goldenchild17

[quote name='missionseeker' post='961086' date='Apr 25 2006, 08:18 PM']
It seems like they have much more than this issue that they don't agree with.
EENS, women, the valdidty of documents after VII. So I was wondering what's gonna happen with them?
[/quote]

I don't know what the effect would be. It's quite possible that this would be enough for the order itself to reconcile. However this would cause many good and faithful priests to abandon this order and go outright sedevacantist, or at least independent. I don't see why SSPX would want to reconcile personally, but if they did I wonder how things would play out.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='962626' date='Apr 27 2006, 08:20 AM']
I don't know what the effect would be. It's quite possible that this would be enough for the order itself to reconcile. However this would cause many good and faithful priests to abandon this order and go outright sedevacantist, or at least independent. I don't see why SSPX would want to reconcile personally, but if they did I wonder how things would play out.
[/quote]

Because according to Vatican I the Pope must be recognized as necessary or the person holding the contrary anathema sit...

[quote]Chapter 2. On the permanence of the primacy of blessed Peter in the Roman pontiffs

[b]That which our lord Jesus Christ, the prince of shepherds and great shepherd of the sheep, established in the blessed apostle Peter, for the continual salvation and permanent benefit of the church, must of necessity remain for ever, by Christ's authority, in the church which, founded as it is upon a rock, will stand firm until the end of time [/b][45] .

For no one can be in doubt, indeed it was known in every age that the holy and most blessed Peter, prince and head of the apostles, the pillar of faith and the foundation of the catholic church, received the keys of the kingdom from our lord Jesus Christ, the saviour and redeemer of the human race, [b]and that to this day and for ever he lives and presides and exercises judgment in his successors the bishops of the holy Roman see, which he founded and consecrated with his blood [/b][46] .

[b]Therefore whoever succeeds to the chair of Peter obtains by the institution of Christ himself, the primacy of Peter over the whole church. So what the truth has ordained stands firm, and blessed Peter perseveres in the rock-like strength he was granted, and [i]does not abandon that guidance of the church which he once received[/i][/b] [47] .

For this reason it has always been necessary for every church--that is to say the faithful throughout the world--to be in agreement with the Roman church because of its more effective leadership. In consequence of being joined, as members to head, with that see, from which the rights of sacred communion flow to all, they will grow together into the structure of a single body [48] .

Therefore,
if anyone says that
it is not by the institution of Christ the lord himself (that is to say, by divine law) that blessed Peter should have perpetual successors in the primacy over the whole church; [b]or that
the Roman pontiff is not the successor of blessed Peter in this primacy:
[i]let him be anathema.[/i][/b] [/quote]

[quote]In this way, by unity with the Roman pontiff in communion and in profession of the same faith , the church of Christ becomes one flock under one supreme shepherd [50] .

This is the teaching of the catholic truth, and no one can depart from it without endangering his faith and salvation. [/quote]

goldenchild, I hope you realize you've gone the way of "old Catholics" in denying the perpetual primacy of the Pope and denying Vatican I...:(

Desert Walker

[quote name='brendan1104' post='962184' date='Apr 26 2006, 06:08 PM']
Re-examine Vatican II, SSPX leader urges

Apr. 26, 2006
CWNews.com

Link to this text and others
The head of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X has pressed his case for a re-examination of Vatican II teachings, in an interview with the French magazine Famille Chrétienne.

Bishop Bernard Fellay told the French publication that he retained his hope that Pope Benedict XVI will allow broader use of the old Latin Mass. "Opening the doors to the old liturgy would probably be the most fruitful way to resolve the crisis in the Church," he said.

The leader of the SSPX, which broke from Rome in 1988, said that he would be slow to form a firm opinion about the leadership of Pope Benedict XVI. "We need action," he said; "words are not the important thing."

Bishop Fellay told Famille Chrétienne that although he and the Pope found a good deal of common ground for discussion, they continue to take very different views regarding Vatican II. While acknowledging that Pope Benedict has said that the Council teachings must be interpreted in the light of Catholic tradition, the bishop said that he would go further. "We propose to get beyond the Council," he said, "looking higher, toward principles that cannot become outdated because they are eternal."
[/quote]

All Catholics should pick up and read Ratzinger's published memoirs titled Milestones. Fellay isn't exactly waay off the mark. Although I think he would like to see something happen that is fundamentally irrelevant:

Re-examination of Vatican II in light of Catholic tradition.

That doesn't need to be done because the entire Council was simply a re-iteration of the Catholic tradition!

The liturgy needs attention, and in that, Benedict agrees with this man.

goldenchild17

[quote name='qfnol31' post='962723' date='Apr 27 2006, 09:48 AM']
Because according to Vatican I the Pope must be recognized as necessary or the person holding the contrary anathema sit...
goldenchild, I hope you realize you've gone the way of "old Catholics" in denying the perpetual primacy of the Pope and denying Vatican I...:(
[/quote]

I won't argue it here as it isn't allowed. But Vatican I says the "office" of the Papacy will always exist. Not that there will always be somebody on it.

missionseeker

[quote name='brendan1104' post='961421' date='Apr 26 2006, 07:44 AM']
we trad's have never stopped practicing and having the faith! you're crazy! in the words of john paul II, vatican 2 needs to be interpreted in the light of tradition- of course the heresies need to be corrected...
the sspx, as bishop fellay has stated, is not the mystical body of christ, but it belongs to the mystical body of christ, the church
ive never seen or heard heresy... enlighten us...
father schmidberger was the superior general, not archbishop lefebvre. and it was founded to form priests, and the rocky ground started when archbishop lefebvre refused to compromise the faith, and abandon saying the mass of his ordination... and it actually exists today because it is god's will that it exists... it would still exist without cardinal ratzinger's failed (as he himself admitted) involvement
[/quote]

"Things happen because God wills them" type thinking is very Protestant. (and it's also Old Testement :scream:)

People make their own choices God doesn't do it for them.

People who want to make up lame reasons for sinning say that.