An Old School Catholic Message Board

What would you say if your priest

Resurrexi

If your parish priest went up to you and said "in the future there will be priestesses" you respond?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SeekingHisPlan

I'd probably have my mouth hanging open for a few moments, and then I'd say, "I'm sorry Father, I do believe you're mistaken. For fear of being disrespectful, I don't wish to discuss this further right now."

I'd say that because I am NOT well enough versed to properly defend this teaching and I wouldn't want to argue about it unproductively.

I would respectly ask him if he sees any significance to maleness and femaleness in God's plan of creation?

(It would seem he would not.) Then I would listen intently to his reply and try to figure out what is motivating his perspective. (A desire for respectability by the broader society???) After that it would be prayer and possibly looking for a new parish depending upon his reasons.

Edited by HS_Dad

This actually happened to me! During Mass the [i]catholic[/i] priest that ran my college chapel (along with a real parish down the street) totally asked the congregation to join him in the intention that one day their would be women priests!

i totally poo'd myself.

This may sound bad, i'll be so glad when that generation of hippy priests is gone. (and hopefully replaced with people like those on this board that not only know what is going on but why)

Sometimes it happens. My CATHOLIC youth minister at college advised a student AGAINST confession in front of me!! I almost choked, she advised against a sacrament, and she did not know the state of this person's soul. I was so stunned that I don't even remember saying anything to her, I was like :blink: WAHHHHH????

SeekingHisPlan

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1128915' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:53 PM']
Sometimes it happens. My CATHOLIC youth minister at college advised a student AGAINST confession in front of me!! I almost choked, she advised against a sacrament, and she did not know the state of this person's soul. I was so stunned that I don't even remember saying anything to her, I was like :blink: WAHHHHH????
[/quote]

I once had a campus minister tell me that matters like premarital sex and birth control were "up to each person's conscience." She said, "As someone who serves the Church, I have to tell people what the Church teaches, but at the end of the day, if you have put yourself before the Lord and your conscience is clear, that's enough."

While it's true that nothing can come between someone's (well informed) conscience and God, that seems like open season for people to decide what they want to do and justify it by saying, "Oh, I prayed about it and I don't think it's wrong for me." without really examining the issue.

If one is interested in saving souls, shouldn't s/he just stick to what the Church actually says?

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1128915' date='Nov 27 2006, 11:53 AM']
[/quote]

Are you sure you didn't say:[quote]"F&^%E OFF!! YOu are lucky I dont ***CENSORED***"
[/quote]

Hey, if anyone's looking for some great apologetic/debate practice on the topic of women as priests, check out this sickeningly heretical website's forum:

[url="http://www.womenpriests.org/index.asp"]website[/url]

[url="http://www.womenpriests.org/circles/"]forum[/url]

[url="http://www.womenpriests.org/circles/tm.asp?m=526&mpage=1&key="]the thread i've recently started posting on[/url], trying to get the Truth into their thick heads.

i'm the guest that starts defending the Church on 26/11

Edited by stuckinamo

• 3 weeks later...
goldenchild17

[quote name='Sirklawd' post='1128905' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:17 PM']i totally poo'd myself.
[/quote]
Nice... I bet those sitting next to you were very appreciative.
To the question. I would say "Yes, I think you could very well be right. As long as people like yourself are instructing the faithful and running your church it could certainly happen."

MissScripture

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1129157' date='Nov 27 2006, 06:49 PM']
Hey, if anyone's looking for some great apologetic/debate practice on the topic of women as priests, check out this sickeningly heretical website's forum:

[url="http://www.womenpriests.org/index.asp"]website[/url]

[url="http://www.womenpriests.org/circles/"]forum[/url]

[url="http://www.womenpriests.org/circles/tm.asp?m=526&mpage=1&key="]the thread i've recently started posting on[/url], trying to get the Truth into their thick heads.

i'm the guest that starts defending the Church on 26/11
[/quote]
I looked at one of the threads for a few minutes. Made me want to throw up, and punch some people out. Actually, the mere colors of the website made me want to throw up!

[font="Comic Sans Ms"]
[color="#993399"]Anything can happen if it is God's will....which is entirely seperate from a random priest making a human and fallible statement,

but..I wont be the one saying it will 'never' happen...as..it is up to God.

any thing can happen, the power of the Holy spirit is immense,

I am[b] not ..not ..not[/b] a crazy feminist catholic...I am happy with male priests, and 'patriarchal' language etc...

but...I would not have a problem with it either , ..if it is God's will, it will be done,
[b]
and truly....
...on that day, I will be the first in line to sign up to be a franciscan Friar-ess[/b][/color][/font]

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='961551' date='Apr 26 2006, 12:38 PM']
I'd remind Father that women belong in the kitchen and not behind the altar. Then he'd come to his senses and say, "Ahh, how could I forget?" and we'd be right as rain.
:saint:
[/quote]

:lol_sign:

[quote] Anything can happen if it is God's will....which is entirely seperate from a random priest making a human and fallible statement,

but..I wont be the one saying it will 'never' happen...as..it is up to God.

any thing can happen, the power of the Holy spirit is immense,

I am not ..not ..not a crazy feminist catholic...I am happy with male priests, and 'patriarchal' language etc...

but...I would not have a problem with it either , ..if it is God's will, it will be done,

and truly....
...on that day, I will be the first in line to sign up to be a franciscan Friar-ess [/quote]

It's an irrevokable dogma that only men can be priests... therefore you are an

HERETIC