An Old School Catholic Message Board

What would you say if your priest

Resurrexi

If your parish priest went up to you and said "in the future there will be priestesses" you respond?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

[quote name='thessalonian' post='968652' date='May 2 2006, 03:13 PM']
I did hear a priest say that in a sermon. After the sermon I went up to him and basically said "when hell freezes over". Though maybe the better answer is "when the gates of hell prevail".
[/quote]

:lol_roll: This is TOO RICH! I LOVE IT! :lol_roll:

SHALOM

Inquisitor Generalis

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='961313' date='Apr 26 2006, 12:55 AM']
The fact that a woman cannot be ordained as a priest has not been [i]defined[/i] by the Church through a solemn act of the Extraordinary Magisterium; instead, it has been taught infallibly through a [i]non-defining[/i] act of the Ordinary and Universal Magisterium, and this teaching has been confirmed as [i]de fide tenenda[/i] by an official and irrevocable declaration issued by Pope John Paul II in 1994.

Thus, it is impossible for a woman to validly receive sacred ordination to the presbyterate.
[/quote]

You seem to be saying that it's impossible b/c John Paul II said it's impossible. The truth is that John Paul II said it's impossible because, um, it's impossible.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Inquisitor Generalis' post='972804' date='May 5 2006, 10:24 PM']
You seem to be saying that it's impossible b/c John Paul II said it's impossible. The truth is that John Paul II said it's impossible because, um, it's impossible.
[/quote]

I know. It's crazy to think that the Pope teaches the Roman Catholic faith. I thought the Pope was a Baptist.

Inquisitor Generalis

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='972807' date='May 5 2006, 07:30 PM']
I know. It's crazy to think that the Pope teaches the Roman Catholic faith. I thought the Pope was a Baptist.
[/quote]

That response literally had nothing to do w/anything I said. [i]Of course[/i] the Pope was teaching the Catholic faith when he condemned women priests. But his teachings on the matter were [i]already part of the Catholic Faith[/i].

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='964642' date='Apr 28 2006, 07:16 PM']
I cant believe four pmers are such heretics that they would believe in priestesses!
[/quote]
There are non-catholics on here so I'm not totally surprised, but it still stinks. :(

[quote name='Inquisitor Generalis' post='972817' date='May 5 2006, 06:37 PM']
That response literally had nothing to do w/anything I said. [i]Of course[/i] the Pope was teaching the Catholic faith when he condemned women priests. But his teachings on the matter were [i]already part of the Catholic Faith[/i].
[/quote]
Amen.

zwergel88

I believe that the sixth one from the top is the most appropriate answer, however any of the last five are tempting especially the bottom one.

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Inquisitor Generalis' post='972817' date='May 5 2006, 05:37 PM']
[/quote]

:clap:

Brother Adam

[quote name='Inquisitor Generalis' post='972817' date='May 5 2006, 10:37 PM']
[/quote]

Where do you think Catholic doctrine comes from? Dogma doesn't pop out of thin air.

Inquisitor Generalis

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='974916' date='May 7 2006, 10:31 PM']
Where do you think Catholic doctrine comes from? Dogma doesn't pop out of thin air.
[/quote]

Do you think something is true b/c the pope said it, or does the pope say things b/c they're true? To quote Pope Benedict XVI: "The pope is not an oracle."

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='Inquisitor Generalis' post='972804' date='May 5 2006, 06:24 PM']
[/quote]

IG, you misunderstand Apotheoun's post. He is extremely knowledgable with regards to many things, and one of those things is the theology concerning the teaching of the Magisterium. He was not saying that it is infallible because JPII said so, he is saying precisely the opposite. Unlike an act of [i]defining[/i], in which the Pope is infallible because the whole Magisterium of the Church is speaking through his office as Supreme Pontiff, the issue in question was a [i]declaration[/i], and what he was declaring was that the Church [i]already teaches[/i] this doctrine infallibly. Thus, John Paul II's act of declaration involved no appeal whatsoever to his personal authority as Pontiff, but rather, he simply declared that the universal Magisterium of the Church already teaches this point infallibly.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

desertwoman

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='961221' date='Apr 25 2006, 09:38 PM']
I'd say...
[size=7]SLAP![/size][img]http://members.tripod.com/AngryLush/RJames204.jpg[/img]
No, that would excommunicate me...But I would be very upset.
[/quote]

:lol_roll:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='964748' date='Apr 28 2006, 09:48 PM']
my last option was not anti-Catholic! It was more Catholic than all your posts put together!
[/quote]
you're right, it's not technically anti-Catholic. maybe anti-clerical though :think:

naw, it's not anti-clerical either

definition: opposed to clericalism or to the interference or influence of the clergy in secular affairs

maybe just bad manners? :think: