An Old School Catholic Message Board

What would you say if your priest

Resurrexi

If your parish priest went up to you and said "in the future there will be priestesses" you respond?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='SanctifyMe' post='1152760' date='Dec 31 2006, 02:05 AM']
[font="Arial Narrow"]
[color="#663366"]This may be a infantile question.....but, If the pope makes a decision to change a rule/law/doctrine, isn't it basically set in stone?

therefore; in theory ....if The pope/ a pope, some pope sometime...made such a decison, how would it not be 'valid'...?
Change is not bad...if it is attained through the proper channels, and I am not able to argue cannon law, or ancient doctrine ..I don't have the foundation yet..., I love being Catholic and stand by whatever we are held to...however....I am disgusted when fundamentals beging to stand alone.....when doctrine is supreme, and all encompasing, when we miss the point, when we forget what Jesus stood for, and get lost in the 'letter of the law'....it has its very important place, but seriously... I guess I am not satiated by; "this will never happen because of this document',, that is fine and great but I am more into the kind of debate where people have the courage to consider the possibility and look at both sides..., .

Is everyone here content with ....It shall remain the way it has always been? If it ain't broke don't fix it?

How is it that so many other religions are ordaining women, even some that are fairly orthodox?
(And no the answer is not: because they are all heretics)

...truly, I am not asking for Cannon law refrerences, or even scriptural references, I guess what I wonder is why everyone is afraid to talk about it without hiding behind Church Doctrine?

What would Phatmass have looked like Prior to Vatican II?? ...What kind of resistance would have resulted? Would those in favor have been lynched?

I love this community..but , the narrowmindedness gets tiresome, ..but we are a diverse group.

Again..I don't have any desire to be a priest..., but someone needs to speak for the possiblity of change... so speak I do.. (It must be the Franciscan in me coming out~)

Peace,[/color][/font]
[/quote]
Please could you make your font a bit bigger next time, I cannot read it without magnification. Thank you.

Dogma is not changable. It is the Word of God such as God exists.
Doctrine is the explanation of dogma. Over time the Church improves and develops better and more complete explanations of Dogma.
Disciplines are the various ways teachings are actually carried out. These can be altered by the Church ie. Comunion in the hand, vs on the tongue.

Something cannot and will not be changed by the Catholic Church, or it will cease to be the Catholic Church founded by Jesus Christ and the gates of hell will have prevailed. It has nothing to do with lack of courage or narrowmindedness, somethings are permanently set in stone. Jesus is God, and as such He did nothing that would disagree with the teachings of God. Church dogma and doctrines are truly blessings, not shackles. We don't have to start at square one every single time an issue or question comes up. For 2000 years the Church has been studying and refining and detailing theology for those who are interested in it.

Groups are ordaining women because they have no sacramental link with the Church founded by Jesus Christ. Our priests are in a direct line from those Apostles ordained by Jesus Christ and are personae Christi and re-present Christ's relationship with His bride the Church. Women cannot do this and never will. If some group outside the Church founded by Christ does it it is NOT the same.

It is not narrowminded in attempting to live your lfe as a faithful Catholic. Saints have done it for years, and a saint is simply a sinner who kept on trying to be holy.

St Francis was one of the holiest most obedient men that ever lived. He would never question a teaching of the Church.