An Old School Catholic Message Board

What would you say if your priest

Resurrexi

If your parish priest went up to you and said "in the future there will be priestesses" you respond?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MilesChristi

I hope that I would calmly disagree and ask the priest why he thinks that. After engaging him in conversation about it, I would write to the bishop if necessary.

MichaelFilo

He was specially blessed as a priest, and so there is something that demands respect. However, his role brings much higher responsibility, so in the inten tof beint charitable, I'd probably calmly discuss it, and having seen that error flows freely from his mouth, kindly suggest the last option.

God bless,
Mikey

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I personally know some priests. None of them have mentioned it to men. And none of those priests are or ever have been my pastor.

Of course, i was surprised to find out. They never have used the pulpit for their political opinions of the church.

SHALOM

I would call Bishop Donald Wuerl, who has been known to silence priests who have come out in support of female ordination.

[color="blue"] That's what I was going to vote for, but then again, I don't think it'll be very polite to say that to a priest. [/color]

I would simply quote [url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html"]Ordinatio Sacerdotalis[/url].

[quote name='Ordinatio Sacerdotalis #1']Priestly ordination, which hands on the office entrusted by Christ to his Apostles of teaching, sanctifying and governing the faithful, has in the Catholic Church from the beginning always been reserved to men alone. This tradition has also been faithfully maintained by the Oriental Churches.[/quote]

[quote name='Ordinatio Sacerdotalis #4']Although the teaching that priestly ordination is to be reserved to men alone has been preserved by the constant and universal Tradition of the Church and firmly taught by the Magisterium in its more recent documents, at the present time in some places it is nonetheless considered still open to debate, or the Church's judgment that women are not to be admitted to ordination is considered to have a merely disciplinary force.

Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church's divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32) [b]I declare that [u]the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church's faithful.[/u][/b][/quote]