An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic History month

Resurrexi

Catholic History Month  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm serious. There is a Jewish history month, so there should most definetly be a Catholic history month.

I can just see it in the headlines now...

[quote]Catholic History Month Prevents Heresy
By: Tyler
Phatmass PM Alien
The United States House of Representatives, in mid-October, voted to mark the 515th anniversary of the arrival of Catholics in North America by establishing a "Catholic History Month" to mark Catholic contributions to US cultural, economic, and civic life.
The first Catholic History Month will commence in November of 2007, and aims to foster "a greater appreciation of the role the American Catholic community has had in helping to defend and further the liberties and freedom of all Americans."
According to the act, Catholic History Month will be celebrated in much the same way as Jewish History Month and Black History Month. During these months, communities, public schools and television channels highlight famous and significant individuals of the group being recognized. For example, many teachers plan lessons on civil rights leader Martin Luther King during February, which is Black History Month.
If communities actually commemorate Catholic History Month the way that they do Jewish History Month, it could be a valuable tool in dispelling heresies and infedelism. There are many different examples of anti-Catholicism in America today, ranging from the misconception that Catholics kill Jesus every Mass, to the belief that the September 11th attacks were a Catholic conspiracy. Catholic History Month could show prejudiced Americans that the Catholic community is not only benign, it has actually been beneficial in making the American dream a reality. Individual figures include St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, who was a school teacher, the explorer Christopher Colombus, and Blessed Katari, an Indian. Not to mention all the Irish immigrants.
Added to this are thousands of doctors, soldiers, priests, and everyday citizens who have played a part, however small or large, in creating America as we know it today. Despite being only than 24% of the population, Catholics are a valuable part of the America and Catholic History Month could help bring this to light.
Anti-Catholicism has been an issue faced throughout history, not only in the ancient Roman Times and the anti-Irish period in the 19th century, but in America, in recent times. Blacks and Hispanics are not the only ones facing discrimination. Catholics are also hated for their moral views on abortion, contraception, and gay-marriage. Despite the Constitutional right of freedom of religion, and the fact that Protestantism actually was born from Catholicism, many, even in America, are anti-Catholic. Catholic History Month would be a perfect opportunity to present the truth about Catholicism to the nation.
There are some aspects about this idea that are questionable, however. First of all, Congress made no provision about actually acknowledging and commemorating this month, and Catholic History Month could easily follow in the footsteps of Dental Hygiene Month; basically forgotten. Also, there is very little reason that November should be Catholic History Month, in fact, I can't really think of any reason, except perhaps All Saints Day is in November. However, it made be more appropriate to hold Catholic History Month in, for example, March to coincide with Ladyday, when Catholics celebrate the Incarnation. March aslo is often the month of Easter, the day Catholics celebrate the Ressurection. This would send an important message of what a lack of understanding and acceptance can lead to.
Catholic History Month, if correctly carried out, could very well turn out to be a vital tool in the battle against heresy.
[/quote]

Edited by StThomasMore

missionarybelle

I say Marc

I say March because school children would be able to have time to plan and organize evens celebrating it.

desertwoman

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='960025' date='Apr 25 2006, 06:05 AM']
I hate all the "such and such history month." There's one history. Teach it.
[/quote]

Word up Mom!!! Give me dap and a pound.

History is history, and history no matter what label we give it should be taught everyday.

Just like Black History month. It should be everyday, and the originator of the month wanted it to be a month and to be discontinued afterwards when we as human beings will recognize and celebrate history as a whole instead of sepearting things.

First, March is Womens Month, April is Poetry Month, June is Gay Month, and it goes on and on.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='960103' date='Apr 25 2006, 07:58 AM']
Tyler's starting to give Dairygirl a run for her money
[/quote]
:lol_roll:

MichaelFilo

History months aren't an excuse to party and sing hail the inept leaders. It's about our history.

It is all one history, but I'd like you to try to teach me all of it in a lifetime, and you will come up short. In the same way, at schools they are selective about what they teach, so it makes sense that we must give emphasis on the history that is a bit overlooked, especially in a nation such as this one.

I don't like history month's though... because it brings along that nasty pride that I find amongst the Negro children for the whole month which pretty much is terribly annoying. I would hate to have Catholics doing that to others, especially if it something not worth it like those stupid jokes about it being so and so history month "because so and so is a cool group of people". And yes, teen girls will job on the invitation to do it.

God bless,
Mikey