An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Religious Order

MC IMaGiNaZUN

AlterDominicus

Hey, I love it when my creative writing kicks in. I'll make a story, of a girl who enters a community, and founds an order later, the conflict being the consent of the Superior and Mother Vicar, and the doubting that she has a "true vocation." I need names, I am horrbile coming up with names. Now if I can stick with A country this time, it'll be good. Cause then I could use that countries language in some aspect of a mood in the story, like lets say if someone is angry or silly, or sad, they'll use that language of the country instead of English.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I would miss out of the years of experience of simple ministry to God, i would prefer to enter a deeply established order with parishes and school, because, heck i wanna get down to business with manifesting God's love to the people. That is probably why i havent thought of my own religious order that seriously, because i know i would be instant superior, prior, abbot, general, provincial, whatever have you. I dont want to jump into administrative leadership that much.

But anyways, for the sake of fantasy, yes.
It would be with St. Augustine as Spiritual Father, devoted to the Eucharist, and to Our Lady. We would have a dark grey habit, with a belt.

And most importantly, we would have hats.

But, on a more serious note, i do seriously consider in what ways i will reform the order locally, or even the houses i am in.

SHALOM

puellapaschalis

My reasoning for not actively considering that possibility went a little like this:

First, I did not want to be a "founder" without any experience. Many times in my life I've been the person who set up this or the girl who started that, and quite frankly despite people's apparant impression that I'd be good at it, it's exhausting and rarely left me feeling fulfilled. Over the years it simply increased my desire to being at the very beginning, to sit at the feet of my teacher and learn from women who had years of experience in the life I was living.

Secondly, I didn't want to enter a convent with the express purpose of "learning what I needed to know" before leaving and founding something else. That would be dishonest to the community apart from anything else.

So I conluded that thoughts about establishing a new order were best put out of my mind. If God "decides" ten or twenty years down the line that He wants me to start somewhere new, I'm sure He will make it clear to me at that time. But right now, it's not something I'm going to be dealing with.

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='Peccator' post='957829' date='Apr 23 2006, 10:29 AM']
I'm a little ignorantt of the terminology. Can you perhaps tell more?
[/quote]

Try these:

[url="http://www.consecratedvirgins.org/"]Consecrated Virgins[/url]

[url="http://www.secularinstitutes.org/"]Secular Institutes[/url]

[url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/id15.html"]Diocesan Hermit[/url]

[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14637b.htm"]Third Orders[/url]

These are all vocations out in the world--other than the single or married life.

Hope these help.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='958046' date='Apr 23 2006, 02:25 PM']
My reasoning for not actively considering that possibility went a little like this:

First, I did not want to be a "founder" without any experience. Many times in my life I've been the person who set up this or the girl who started that, and quite frankly despite people's apparant impression that I'd be good at it, it's exhausting and rarely left me feeling fulfilled. Over the years it simply increased my desire to being at the very beginning, to sit at the feet of my teacher and learn from women who had years of experience in the life I was living.

Secondly, I didn't want to enter a convent with the express purpose of "learning what I needed to know" before leaving and founding something else. That would be dishonest to the community apart from anything else.

So I conluded that thoughts about establishing a new order were best put out of my mind. If God "decides" ten or twenty years down the line that He wants me to start somewhere new, I'm sure He will make it clear to me at that time. But right now, it's not something I'm going to be dealing with.

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

It's not out of pride that I continue this. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding of the vocation of founder. Here I am a married woman with aspirants to a new order. I know I don't know everything, so I set about asking God to send me to the right people. So far, so good.

As for entering an order with the intention of getting training, then leaving to make a foundation--if the sisters are truly prayerful, they will see this even without you saying anything. They may even say, "Did you ever feel called to found a new order?" There are a number of foundresses/founders who have made arrangements with convents to receive their training there. Religious orders realize that part of their vocation may be to assist with the foundation of new communities. It happens all the time.

As far as I'm concerned, God gave the invitation, I'm taking Him up on it, so He'll provide, as long as I'm faithful. As the old saying goes, "God said it; I believe it; that settles it."

I'm not trying to bang you over the head with this, I'm just "instructing the ignorant" as the works of mercy dictate. As I said, I saw a lot of misunderstanding, and set about to correct it.

Blessings,
Gemma

puellapaschalis

I wasn't trying to bash anyone either; I simply decided to flesh out my response with the reasoning behind it. I'm in no doubt that should it be God's will that at some point in the future I'll found a new congregation, He'll make it manifest. My only concern is whether I'll be sufficiently open in my heart to hear and respond to it (but then that's my main concern with everything these days).

Love and prayers,

PP

Edited by puellapaschalis

• 2 weeks later...
she_who_is_not

I had the idea of a community that I would lke to see, (not neccesarily found) after reading an article by Dr. Alice von Hildebrand. The Handmaids of the Annunciation who would emulate and embody the virtues demonstrated by Mary at the Annunciation: Purity, Humility and Obedience. Their apostalate would be spreading the message of godly womanhood and true feminity to girls and young women. They would be very Marian in a de Montfort sort of way and wear blue habits. The motto would be Fiat Mihi.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='971380' date='May 4 2006, 05:17 PM']
I had the idea of a community that I would lke to see, (not neccesarily found) after reading an article by Dr. Alice von Hildebrand. The Handmaids of the Annunciation who would emulate and embody the virtues demonstrated by Mary at the Annunciation: Purity, Humility and Obedience. Their apostalate would be spreading the message of godly womanhood and true feminity to girls and young women. They would be very Marian in a de Montfort sort of way and wear blue habits. The motto would be Fiat Mihi.
[/quote]

Sounds like it could be an active branch of the cloistered Annonciades. They wear a rope cincture with 10 knots--each one representing one of Mary's virtues: most pure, etc.

Emily Gaskins is helping to found the Sisters of St. Maria Goretti, who would be doing much of the "chastity" work like what's proposed. Their habit is supposed to be white with blue scapular, belt with pendant, and a veil. The pendant on the belt will have--if I remember correctly--a palm leaf and a lily.

Have you heard of a new order called the Sisters of the Annunciation? They wear a dark blue/light blue habit and are involved in the New Evangelization.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' post='972485' date='May 5 2006, 01:25 PM']
Have you heard of a new order called the Sisters of the Annunciation? They wear a dark blue/light blue habit and are involved in the New Evangelization.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
Gemma, these sisters sound familiar, do you have a website for them?

[quote name='shortnun' post='972559' date='May 5 2006, 04:02 PM']
Gemma, these sisters sound familiar, do you have a website for them?
[/quote]

I did, but when I went there, it wasn't "valid." :idontknow:

They were mentioned on our Women in Discernment group. Perhaps we could go search the archives--they're public.

Blessings,
Gemma

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Gemma' post='972485' date='May 5 2006, 12:25 PM']
Sounds like it could be an active branch of the cloistered Annonciades. They wear a rope cincture with 10 knots--each one representing one of Mary's virtues: most pure, etc.

Emily Gaskins is helping to found the Sisters of St. Maria Goretti, who would be doing much of the "chastity" work like what's proposed. Their habit is supposed to be white with blue scapular, belt with pendant, and a veil. The pendant on the belt will have--if I remember correctly--a palm leaf and a lily.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]

Gemma,
That is so awesome! I think the Sisters of St. Maria Goretti sound really interesting. One of my favorite saints. You are such a wealth of information.
Amanda

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' post='957410' date='Apr 22 2006, 08:38 PM']
Who here has ever thought of starting their own religious order.

SHALOM
[/quote]

Just another thought. . .

Feeling called to start a religious order may also be a call to be part of one that someone else is trying to found. I am working with a woman who thought she was called to found an order, but she's being pulled to an order that's only about 20 years old.

Great humility is required when founders meet. If two potential founders meet, and have basically the same charism, they'd better figure out how they're going to be working together: future support of each others' charisms; are they going to be in two different dioceses; what differences are there between the two inspirations? I think you get the picture.

Here we are trying an American renewal of the English Gilbertines. However, a Brazilian priest has started the Fraternity of St. Gilbert--a renewal of the charism. He and I have been emailing and have an amicable relationship. He's in Brazil; we're here in the States. He has his inspirations about name, etc. I've got my inspirations. So far, the only thing in common is the charism--but we're two different expressions.

Likewise, there's a woman on the West Coast of the U.S. who feels called to start a contemplative Divine Mercy community which would include the sick and handicapped. I've got my inspirations for the Hidden Disciples of Divine Mercy. Again, I don't see any conflict. Two different expressions; two different locations.

I hope I'm making sense.

Blessings,
Gemma