An Old School Catholic Message Board

White Rights?

MichaelFilo

MichaelFilo

All government backed racism has fallen out of use, and that also on the private sector it has ceased. What is left are individuals who tend to be racist, but this is certainly an issue that cannot be reformed by government decree.

However, our laws in this land, and our societal views have placed the white man in an inferior position. The white man is hurt by things like affirmative action, race quotas, and the likes which are not only racist, they are governmentally backed. Not only that, but you will find little to no white pride events, while minorities (most notably negros, but also Hispanics as of late) seem to have plenty. One of the most obvious reasons of course is that almost any move by the white race is considered racist, while other groups may identify themselves and the rest of the people in their race as one people with common goals. What then forms is an actual problem in which the white man is oppressed not only by unjust laws, but by a view that society has taken of him that is entirely oppressive. The most classic case, of course, is the word "nice black man" (and other varients, "nigga" most notably) in which not only Negros engange in using to refer to each other, but so do others like Mexicans, and more often than not this can be directed at whites (i have seen it, and I can't be the only one) while if a white person were to simply entertain the thought of using it in play response he may be overwhelmed with a sserious guilt of being racist.

Now, I ask, as Catholics, what is our role in fixing this oppresive attitude this nation has taken up? Or, are we, as I suspect, nothing more than the product of our times, seeing things only as our fellow country men see it?

God bless,
Mikey

Mateo el Feo

As Catholics, we are to see all individuals as belonging to a common race (the human one), each made in the image of God.

On a similar note, I overheard this discussion at my old school:

"Why does the University have Women's Studies as a major? Shouldn't they not discriminate and have Men's Studies as well?"
-'They do, it's just called History'

I think it's fine and just to discuss this topic, but I'm not sure I'd use the idea of a "white pride events" as a means of doing so. I don't see what the point would be, as the "white" community doesn't have a whole lot to share. I wouldn't mind a bunch of people who happen to be white to gather around and celebrate being Irish or Italian or German or whatever, since that's a culturally palpable trait, but what would it prove to anyone to say "hey, we're white. Let's have a party." I've met plenty of recent African immigrants, do you think that they go to black rallies? No, because they don't identify with the African American cultural struggle. Black Expos aren't, contrary to popular opinion, a celebration of having excess epidermal melanin. There were very few blacks in American cities until the industrial exodus of World War I, and dumping dirt-poor farmers into the ghettoes leads to ugliness lasting generations. If people want to take up solidarity in their common cultural pathos, I see no problem with that.

But with a "white pride" event, you're essentially saying that people should celebrate their unity of being of European descent, even though virtually all non-ethnic whites have severed all ties with their Old World Roots. What it becomes, then, is a collective of people who care nothing about anything except that they have little epidermal melanin. So, while many would leap to call you a racist and a bigot, I'd settle to say that you were just being naive.

As for Affirmative Action and such, I really have no strong feelings on it either way. I just tend to get irritated that the only people complaining about it tend to be the exact people you'd expect, the first case coming to mind would be the gag wherein the Stanford College Republicans had a bake sale where the price of the goods was determinate on one's ethnicity. On the other hand, the people I DO hear supporting AA tend to have very lofty concepts of education and labor who go more for aesthetics than practical matters.

I do not know how things are in America or Europe, but anti-white racism is extremely high here in South Africa...and to point it out is to label yourself bigot/racist.

Its madness...It seems here only whites can be racist.

The last few weeks the newspapers here have been flooded by the story of 4 white highschool boys who severly beat a blackman (eventually resulting in his death). I do not feel any sympathy toward these young men...BUT what makes me mad is there are hundreds of murders on white owned farms every year - yet that NEVER makes the news, even though its obvious the murders were race related. (at the moment the murder rate for farmers here are 313 per 100 000, which is a little higher than your deathtoll in Iraq)

After saying this, I'm probably going to be labeled a racist again...