An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children in Mass

prose

What should families with young children (ages 0-5) be doing during Mass?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I refuse to hit my children. I will stare into there soul and pick out there greatest insecurity. Because why just give them a bruise when you could turn them into a murder?

Regarding my own three year old, I just know that hitting her would be counterproductive. She would absorb that behaviour, as she has absorbed all aspects of my language and behaviour, and reproduce that in her interactions with others. I've found that timeouts and deprivations are very effective with her. I've found that hitting her is very similar to shouting at her. The more I shout at her, the more she tries to use shouting to express her frustration. Children are a mirror.

That being said, Orthodox are not against spanking, in general. I'm just sharing my own experience.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Patrick' post='1900606' date='Jun 24 2009, 12:34 PM']Regarding my own three year old, I just know that hitting her would be counterproductive. She would absorb that behaviour, as she has absorbed all aspects of my language and behaviour, and reproduce that in her interactions with others. I've found that timeouts and deprivations are very effective with her. I've found that hitting her is very similar to shouting at her. The more I shout at her, the more she tries to use shouting to express her frustration. Children are a mirror.

That being said, Orthodox are not against spanking, in general. I'm just sharing my own experience.[/quote]
\

You must find what works with each child as an individual.

Spanking works with my son. Time out does not. deprivations do not. Spanking does.

Some children spanking does not work with, but something does.

inunionwithrome

I only remember one time being taken out of the church and given a spanking for misbehavior. And that was from my dad who was not usually the disciplinarian. So you knew that was a big no-no and I did not do it again. Hm..spankings are not beatings and they work. Yes, your fanny may be sore and red for a little while but it does not bruise it like a beating does.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1898368' date='Jun 22 2009, 04:29 AM']you cant force a 0-3 year old to sit quietly for an hour and if so its a rare kid 4-5 little more likely but still hard to do. best option is to sit in cry room or take the kid outside i cry room not an option.[/quote]

I have a two year old sister and she stays quiet. She see's her older brothers and sisters behaving and she does likewise.

When my family goes to this one church, the pews are too small for the entire family so the children sit in front and my parents sit in back. My two year old sister started a game where she would walk from the back to the front to the back to the front....etc. My Mom caught on this and made her stay in her pew and didn't allow her to switch, and while she was a little crabby about it for a Sunday or two, she doesn't do that anymore.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/rufus+wainwright/track/hallelujah"]Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

+J.M.J.+
i'm a proud mama! :blush: both my kids got two different compliments on how well they were behaved during an ordination Mass. :blush:

if they talk too much, duct tape works wonders......

i mean, i can hardly say anything when it's put on me.

:mellow: