An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children in Mass

prose

What should families with young children (ages 0-5) be doing during Mass?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1886027' date='Jun 8 2009, 03:47 AM']My parents disciplined me to stay quiet and not fool around in church. If I did, I got in trouble. It worked. :idontknow:

What's worse is when you see [i]teenagers[/i] who can't seem to behave in Mass...[/quote]
Yep.

kenrockthefirst

I didn't vote. You need the option, "[i]trying[/i] to have the children sit quietly in the pews so as to integrate them into the community and help others learn patience and charity."

Guest KevinSymonds

I would just instill the fear of God and my shotgun rack in my den.

That is, if I had a den and a shotgun rack.....

What we do is not on the list either. We all sit in the pew and help them learn to sit quietly, however with little children this does not always last. If they act up, we take them out of the pew and to a secluded area of the church, or outside if necessary until they have quieted down enough to return to the pew. They WANT to go to the cryroom. Know why? Because its a huge party in there...snacks, toys, racing, games. That place is the last resort, or if there's not many folks in there maybe I'll venture in.

[quote name='mamalove' post='1885932' date='Jun 7 2009, 07:59 PM']You know, the quiet kids in the cry room irritate me more than the noisy ones. If that kid is calm and not making a peep. Why are you in the cry room?[/quote]

If we ever venture into the cryroom because the boys are being obnoxious, as soon as we get in there they are quiet as a mouse. Why you ask? They are busy gaping at all the craziness usually going on in there.

[quote name='marielapin' post='1888470' date='Jun 11 2009, 09:52 AM']What we do is not on the list either. We all sit in the pew and help them learn to sit quietly, however with little children this does not always last. If they act up, we take them out of the pew and to a secluded area of the church, or outside if necessary until they have quieted down enough to return to the pew. They WANT to go to the cryroom. Know why? Because its a huge party in there...snacks, toys, racing, games. That place is the last resort, or if there's not many folks in there maybe I'll venture in.[/quote]
That is what my parents used to do (we had no cryroom, but still).

We were expected to keep quiet, but my parents usually had some sort of activities for kids relating to what was happening in church for those who couldn't occupy themselves long enough.

Mass is way shorter than most Protestant services I attended (about half the time) so that is good, at least.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1888487' date='Jun 11 2009, 10:37 AM']That is what my parents used to do (we had no cryroom, but still).

We were expected to keep quiet, but my parents usually had some sort of activities for kids relating to what was happening in church for those who couldn't occupy themselves long enough.

Mass is way shorter than most Protestant services I attended (about half the time) so that is good, at least.[/quote]

The boys like to look through the Missals and we have some lift the flap Catholic Bibles, and a board book on the Mass. They also have little drawing pads that I'll pull out from time to time. If I'm getting desperate I'll pull out my calculator.

The only time the boys are allowed to bring a toy to Mass is during the Triduum. And then its only a stuffed toy they may bring (mostly to use as a pillow), as well as a blanket. Dominic fell asleep an hour into the Easter Vigil and I layed his head down on his stuffed monkey and covered him with his blanket. Poof...he stayed that way the last two hours. Quietiest child in Mass.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1888487' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:37 PM']Mass is way shorter than most Protestant services I attended (about half the time) so that is good, at least.[/quote]
Well, that's true for my current parish, but not the parish in which I was confirmed and married. Our priest normally went 1.5 hours, but he chanted a lot of the Mass - beautiful.

[quote name='marielapin' post='1888489' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:42 PM']The boys like to look through the Missals and we have some lift the flap Catholic Bibles, and a board book on the Mass. They also have little drawing pads that I'll pull out from time to time. If I'm getting desperate I'll pull out my calculator.

The only time the boys are allowed to bring a toy to Mass is during the Triduum. And then its only a stuffed toy they may bring (mostly to use as a pillow), as well as a blanket. Dominic fell asleep an hour into the Easter Vigil and I layed his head down on his stuffed monkey and covered him with his blanket. Poof...he stayed that way the last two hours. Quietiest child in Mass.[/quote]
Good idea for the Triduum - I'll have to steal it. I need to get back in the habit of going to daily Mass, as that really helps Kieran to know how to act. And it's just good to go. He's generally happy looking through the Missal or newsletter, though.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1888498' date='Jun 11 2009, 11:34 AM']Well, that's true for my current parish, but not the parish in which I was confirmed and married. Our priest normally went 1.5 hours, but he chanted a lot of the Mass - beautiful.

Good idea for the Triduum - I'll have to steal it. I need to get back in the habit of going to daily Mass, as that really helps Kieran to know how to act. And it's just good to go. He's generally happy looking through the Missal or newsletter, though.[/quote]

I forgot, I let Dominic bring a doll (he called it his baby sister) to my friend's ordination. Basically anything over an hour and a half I let them bring some soft quiet toy. No cars, no action figures, etc. I also have a book in my diaper bag with pictures of each member of the family in it that the babies can look at.

Dominic is very well behaved in Mass, and has been since he was around four. We haven't had to take him out of Mass once since then. He can sing the Gloria and the Alleluia, and was just singing it this morning. He also knows most of the prayers.

We sit in the first five rows so the boys can see the priest. During the Triduum I try to sit in the first three rows, but we always sit in a corner near a post or the isles so we can make a quick getaway without disturbing people. During regular Mass I try to hold the boys or put them where they can see the consecration taking place. It definately holds their interest.

The ordination we went to last year was amazing, and Dominic is still talking about it. He even drew a picture of Fr. Rick and Bishop Baker, with his mitre and crozier and everything. I reminded him of the tabernacle and he remembered the big angels flanking it on either side and drew that in as well. He has already been asking when he can be an altar server. This formation would be lacking if I didn't bring him to Mass every week.

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1885325' date='Jun 6 2009, 11:13 PM']IMHO, cry rooms (at least where I live) are permission for children (and parents) to socialize.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
and for people to slip out early <_<

AngelofMusic

When I was a newborn, there was a priest at my church who was very rude to mothers with children. So rude in fact, that my mother refused to go back to our home parish until he left. When she speaks of it now, I am surprised she did come back. I hate to think someone who is supposed to be encouraging and enriching the spirituality of his parish would drive people away!

I agree with the earlier suggestion of trading off. That sounds like an idea I might implement when I have children. : :saint: Which will be way far off.

The cry room at my church has a glass fronted window to the inside of the church and speaker inside so the adults can still participate in mass. This has worked fairly well, and the children seemed to be rather well behaved. If not, the parents quickly quiet them or take them outside for a small while.

inunionwithrome

We were brought to church at one month old. At least my sister was. I may have not been because of my tummy issues until 6 mos. of age. I have no problem with children being in mass. It is when they are not taught to whisper to ask a question. We always had prayer books to help us follow the mass too. If we flipped through the page of the missals...you were disturbing others trying to pay attention. It is when they kick and cry and scream for 20 minutes before the parents take them out that I have a problem. (this really happens in my church) Common sense has been lost why? And the parents talk as loud as the children..When they are brought early they are taught to love and respect the lord and hopefully that will have an influence on them before they get too old and rebellious. We have a two year old at my church who already genuflects because daddy goes up with him to the altar and teaches him and kisses the statues of St. Joseph and the Blessed Virgin Mary.

dominicansoul

my parents, and all seven of us kids took up the back pew of our Church. We were always well behaved and attentive at Mass.

IT's because we were taught so passionately by my mother on what the Mass was all about. I was very young, but I remember being in awe of the Mass. Thank God for my saintly Mom! Plus, my dad at that time scared us all to death! We knew better to not behave!

I for one DO not object to children, who might become unruly and rowdy at Mass. I think, in their own little innocent way, they are offering up to God what they can at their age and in their minds. I take more offense at those who would allow their impatience with children to get the best of them. Jesus Himself says, "Let the little children come to me."