An Old School Catholic Message Board

Children in Mass

prose

What should families with young children (ages 0-5) be doing during Mass?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1884833' date='Jun 6 2009, 03:22 PM']I go to the 8am mass at my church and I have to say that the children that are there at that time are mostly well behaved. If they do start creating the parents can take them to a room that is just inside the church porch where they can still see the mass.[/quote]
The parishes here don't really have that option. The one time I've had a problem with my son, I took him to the back with the Pieta, and then he was fine. I've definitely been in Masses where the children were unruly (children old enough to know better, too), but in the majority of those cases the adults near them have also been talking through Mass or giving them bags of crisps, so the children weren't being taught how to behave. And so the issue, IMHO, comes back to proper catechesis.

Groo the Wanderer

Children need to be in Mass from the beginning - they are part of the Church. That said, parents should be teaching them proper respect and how to behave in Church, not letting them play and talk and run all over the place. Al parents have limits on how much they can control the child. If a child is disrupting the Mass for someone else, they should be removed and taken to the vestibule or narthex until they calm down.

I do not like the idea of removing children from the Mass, even for 'children's liturgies'. I also do not like having to chase down a child who has sprinted down the aisle and into the sanctuary. Where is the parent?

There is a balance that can be had - it all depends on the individual kiddo and the parent.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1884947' date='Jun 6 2009, 06:30 PM']Children need to be in Mass from the beginning - they are part of the Church. That said, parents should be teaching them proper respect and how to behave in Church, not letting them play and talk and run all over the place. Al parents have limits on how much they can control the child. If a child is disrupting the Mass for someone else, they should be removed and taken to the vestibule or narthex until they calm down.

I do not like the idea of removing children from the Mass, even for 'children's liturgies'. I also do not like having to chase down a child who has sprinted down the aisle and into the sanctuary. Where is the parent?

There is a balance that can be had - it all depends on the individual kiddo and the parent.[/quote]
I completely agree.

Angel*Star

I think the term force would be better as train, teach or encourage. I have enough children to know I cannot "force" them to do anything! That being said - Families should be together from the beginning at mass. I have brought my children from week one. We sit in the front pew and I have spent lots of times walking to the back and "chatting" with them about their behavior. Yes, even the babies! (of course, that "chat" is different from the one or two year olds!) If they get a little antsy, I start pointing out some of the statues they can look at and contemplate. I never bring food (except nursing babies, but that is another thread) and have stopped bringing books or toys. The 2 year old and 6 year old like to sit on my lap. However, they are not disruptive in doing so. We wear church clothes so they know how to act (nice clothes mean good manners, play clothes mean run and play!) We talk about people we have seen or the homily as a family. We expect them to behave.

Now, do they? Not always! I have spent a lot of time training my children how to act nicely in certain places. I can say I can take any of my children anywhere and they know how to act - that includes the 2 year old!

Going as a family has paid off as our 21 year old still goes to mass - not because we make them, but because they want to be there! It is what we do on Sunday. They have gone a step further and have begun studying the faith in much more detail than I have ever studied it. I believe it is in part because we went to mass as a family. As they go older they began serving or signing in the choir.

IMHO, cry rooms (at least where I live) are permission for children (and parents) to socialize.

[quote name='Angel*Star' post='1885325' date='Jun 7 2009, 03:13 AM']I think the term force would be better as train, teach or encourage. I have enough children to know I cannot "force" them to do anything! That being said - Families should be together from the beginning at mass. I have brought my children from week one. We sit in the front pew and I have spent lots of times walking to the back and "chatting" with them about their behavior. Yes, even the babies! (of course, that "chat" is different from the one or two year olds!) If they get a little antsy, I start pointing out some of the statues they can look at and contemplate. I never bring food (except nursing babies, but that is another thread) and have stopped bringing books or toys. The 2 year old and 6 year old like to sit on my lap. However, they are not disruptive in doing so. We wear church clothes so they know how to act (nice clothes mean good manners, play clothes mean run and play!) We talk about people we have seen or the homily as a family. We expect them to behave.

Now, do they? Not always! I have spent a lot of time training my children how to act nicely in certain places. I can say I can take any of my children anywhere and they know how to act - that includes the 2 year old!

Going as a family has paid off as our 21 year old still goes to mass - not because we make them, but because they want to be there! It is what we do on Sunday. They have gone a step further and have begun studying the faith in much more detail than I have ever studied it. I believe it is in part because we went to mass as a family. As they go older they began serving or signing in the choir.

IMHO, cry rooms (at least where I live) are permission for children (and parents) to socialize.[/quote]

:yes:

Guest KevinSymonds

Kids should be taught how to behave in the Household of God that is the Church and that includes going to visit God in His House, that is the parish.

Child gets out of line, the parent knocks 'em back into it.

"[i]Simple, tells the story[/i]."

You know, the quiet kids in the cry room irritate me more than the noisy ones. If that kid is calm and not making a peep. Why are you in the cry room?

Edited by mamalove

princessgianna

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1885941' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:02 PM']Maybe they tend to be unpredictable?[/quote]
But if you never teach them or make them stay quiet how will they ever learn to handle such situations when unpredictability is not an option.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1885944' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:06 PM']But if you never teach them or make them stay quiet how will they ever learn to handle such situations when unpredictability is not an option.[/quote]
True, which is why I'm not a parent. :))

princessgianna

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1885947' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:08 PM']True, which is why I'm not a parent. :))[/quote]
is there a "yet" at the end of your sentence?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1885952' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:10 PM']is there a "yet" at the end of your sentence?[/quote]
Conceivably. :) My options are always open.
I expect I will be someday.

princessgianna

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1885963' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:14 PM']Conceivably. :) My options are always open.
I expect I will be someday.[/quote]
:hijack: My deepest apologies

I see!

:ninja:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1885974' date='Jun 7 2009, 09:19 PM']:hijack: My deepest apologies

I see!

:ninja:[/quote]
:ninja:

Excelsior1027

My parents disciplined me to stay quiet and not fool around in church. If I did, I got in trouble. It worked. :idontknow:

What's worse is when you see [i]teenagers[/i] who can't seem to behave in Mass...