An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women should not wear Pants

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Let's see if we can start at a point where we all agree. "Hip huggers have no place at mass." Personally, I don't like them at all. How about a little modesty?

Some girls don't realize they are not fit for such pants. It makes a bad situation worse.

At the Easter Vigil, a girl, who did not belong in hip huggers, ran toward the front and crouched down to take a picture of a relative getting baptized. Given they're hip huggers, she displayed her plumber's crack or quarter slot for all to see. It was an unsightly sight to see especially during mass.

One of the lessons of the creation story in Genesis is that everything was given a proper time and place. Leave the hip huggers at home or better yet, get rid of them.

My $.02.

well here is a more modern letter from Cardinal Siri.

your point that "its outdated" is just plain wrong, becuase according to the former Cardinal Sirri (in 1960) its not.

basically my problem with Women wearing pants is:

Pants (according to Cardinal Siri) cling to close to a woman's body, making them immodest

Also, when womene wear pants, they do it to aid themself in becoming like men. Many women think that becuase Men and women are equal, they are the same, and wearing the same clothes makes this viewpoint seem more "Normal".

[quote]This motivation shows clearly that male dress is the visible aid to bringing about a mental attitude of being "like a man."5  Secondly, ever since men have been men, the clothing a person wears, demands, imposes and modifies that person's gestures, attitudes and behavior, such that from merely being worn outside, clothing comes to impose a particular frame of mind inside.[/quote]

Also it makes Women seem more like men, and upsets the relationship between Men and Women:

[quote]Experience is there to tell us that when woman is de-feminised, then defenses are undermined and weakness increases.7[/quote]

Women wearing Mens clothes according To Cardinal Siri, it blurs the roles of the 2 sexes.
[quote]To sum up, wherever women wear men's dress, it is to be considered a factor in the long run tearing apart human order[/quote]

let_go_let_God

I will agree that wearing skirts are more feminine than wearing pants however, when ever I wear a skirt guys look at me as if I am a prostitute. Skirts I do wear fall to the knee or lower. That makes me feel bad because I feel that I am leading those men into unpure thoughts. I wear jeans and pants designed for modest women and do not feel that I am leading any gentleman or myself into sin. Many women's skirts designed today are quite short and revealing. In my mind quite not modest. I will also admit that there are jeans today which are too far low cut to be suitable for anyone. However what about some men wearing their pants down low enough to show their undergarments and even more. As a Catholic woman I want to personally take them shopping for a belt for modesty sake, but ask them just to pull them up.

I also work in a mine over the summers. The DRESS CODE states no baggy shirts or lowrise pants, also if your work area requires, the need to wear overalls along in all cases your hardhat. Ironically I feel more feminine coming home from a hard days work covered in grease and tacconite dust than I ever did at prom or any formal event where I did wear a dress. Does this contradict my feminine psychology? I don't think so. Does it make me feel more masculine? No, sometimes it reminds me how frail I can be as a woman when I try to stretch my physical limitations.

Frankly I do not see why it is so grave to wear pants.

God bless-
LGLG

toledo_jesus

well regardless we can all agree that women belong in the kitchen. Specifically, baking pies.

Now, I see a lot women posting on this site. Can they explain to me how their pies are getting baked? hmmmm? :huh:

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Apr 17 2006, 04:35 PM']So would you agree, Sam, that it depends on context too?
[right][snapback]951161[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

what do you mean?

let_go_let_God

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 17 2006, 05:37 PM']well regardless we can all agree that women belong in the kitchen.  Specifically, baking pies. 
Now, I see a lot women posting on this site.  Can they explain to me how their pies are getting baked?  hmmmm? :huh:
[right][snapback]951162[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I bake but not on a regular basis. When I am with my fiance, cooking is a great way for the two of us to talk and connect. We don't say it's my job to cook because he loves to cook as much as I do.

However, I do not belong in a kitchen. My current vocation is as a student, learning how to be able to teach upper division math.

God bless-
LGLG

I'm not comfortable wearing skirts. They makes funny breezes places I'm not okay with and my legs are prepetually bruised. Skirts are almost oversexualized in society today so I don't know why you'd want us to wear them. I wear pants, when need be I wear a belt with them. My pants aren't all up ons or anything; they fit and are more modest than any skirt I own.

I wouldn't say girls wear pants because they want to be more masculine (less feminine). We grew up wearing pants (monkey bars and skirts are a bad idea). Not even my most Catholic friends wear skirts more than a few times a week. My hyperconservative Protestant friends don't either.

The pants thing is a culture shift. Welcome to the 21st century. We have pants. We like pants. We aren't wearing them to get boys frustrated or because we want to disrespect God. They have pockets in good places and are comfy and most of them time we have to wear them (my Catholic school uniform required pants, no shorts or skirts).

let_go_let_God

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 17 2006, 05:38 PM']what do you mean?
[right][snapback]951164[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The context of how women need to dress.

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 17 2006, 03:37 PM']well regardless we can all agree that women belong in the kitchen.  Specifically, baking pies. 
Now, I see a lot women posting on this site.  Can they explain to me how their pies are getting baked?  hmmmm? :huh:
[/quote]

You're my hero.

<Track scurries back to the kitchen>

I see no concrete evidence that pants are mens clothing.
I see many instances of men and women wearing "the same thing" in very stable societies. (different stlyes of robes, kimonos, togas)

1 When women wear pants, they do it mainly to prevent exposing parts of their bodies.

ie legs to tick infested grass or poison ivy.
OR everything to men who would take advantage of the view.

2 Not all womens' pants are tight fitting. There are gaunchos, cullots etc...

So, yes. You're right. It's immodest to wear tight fitting pants/skirts/shirts/dresses. (Which men have worn through many centuries, those Elizabethan hussies!)
And it is immoral to dress in a way that gives the impression you are a member of the opposite gender.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 17 2006, 04:28 PM']basically my problem with Women wearing pants is:

1. Pants (according to Cardinal Siri) cling to close to a woman's body, making them immodest

2. Also, when womene wear pants, they do it to aid themself in becoming like men. Many women think that becuase Men and women are equal, they are the same, and wearing the same clothes makes this viewpoint seem more "Normal".

3. Also it makes Women seem more like men, and upsets the relationship between Men and Women:

4. Women wearing Mens clothes according To Cardinal Siri, it blurs the roles of the 2 sexes.
[right][snapback]951156[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hi Sam, I've numbered your points to correspond to my response....

1. Some pants are too tight, too low, too sheer, have thongs sticking out of the top, I'll grant that. But, skirts can be the same, thus the issue here seems to be more about modesty and style, rather than about pants themselves.

2. Some women may feel this way, but I suspect that the number of women who do is low, especially in current society. This may have been the case in the past, but I highly doubt that if you surveyed women today that this would be among their reasons for wearing pants: comfort, convenience, safety, style, ease of movement, job requirements, etc.

3. This is an opinion, not a fact. I know that if I were a business woman in corporate America I would probably feel better in a business suit with pants as it would be more modest. Many women wear immodest skirts with business suits to leverage their sexuality in their contact with men. Again though, this too is about modesty, not pants or skirts.

4. Women aren' t wearing "men's clothes". We're not cross-dressers, there's a big difference. It doesn't blur the roles. What blurs the roles are things such as consequences of contraception on society now that women are disposable and there are few "consequences" of sex; our consumer culture that makes families think that dual incomes are necessary for luxury items (i.e. boats, 2nd homes, etc)....

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 17 2006, 04:37 PM']well regardless we can all agree that women belong in the kitchen.  Specifically, baking pies. 
[/quote]

I keep getting told that I need to bake.

Me, bake? :huh: :idontknow:

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 17 2006, 04:38 PM']what do you mean?
[right][snapback]951164[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do you think that it's okay for a woman to go swimming? I think so, but I don't think I'd want my wife or kids to go in a skirt...I actually prefer a type of shorts then.

Also, skydiving. I don't want to marry a woman who won't skydive with me. Again, skirt's probably not so appropriate then.

Lastly, I go water skiing...Thatis a must in my family (;)) but I don't want to go out with a girl wearing a skirt. It would pull an amazing flight off her when she crashes (in fact, I've had this happen with my shorts once before.......). It loses the purpose of modesty. :)

I know a girl who wears skirts almost all the time and even wears them to the beach until she's ready to get in. At that time she takes it off, of course (and with the bathing-suit on!), but it goes right back on afterwards....It works well to and from such places.

JudgedByGod

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 17 2006, 06:37 PM']well regardless we can all agree that women belong in the kitchen.  Specifically, baking pies. 
[/quote]
I can't wait to have my own kitchen!

Hmm, blueberry or apple?? :P:

missionarybelle

[quote]well regardless we can all agree that women belong in the kitchen. Specifically, baking pies.

Now, I see a lot women posting on this site. Can they explain to me how their pies are getting baked? hmmmm? huh.gif[/quote]

actually I'm taking a break from cooking for my family tonight. but I guess I'm a failure because I haven't baked a pie in over a month....

I know people girls who only wear skirts and I know girls who never wear skirts.

I wear both regularly

I respect both parties for their beliefs.
first off i want to say that both skirts and pants can be immodest. when I refer to each I am refering to skirts that are at or below the knee, and loose. When I refer to pants I am refering to pants that are or a feminine cut and are not skin tight.

I don't think we are not talking about extreme cases when we are talking about whether or not it's better for a woman to wear skirts. No woman I know whatever her convictions would ever skydive in a skirt! Or waterski. or do the monkeybars. or jump on the trampoline... (ok so my friends and I jump when it's just girls but NEVER if there are guys around)
we are talking about general everyday life without jumping, diving, skiing etc.

I think that there are certain things that are extremely beautiful about women who wear only skirts. For one, I have had guys tell me that they are less tempted to look at a woman's backside inapropriately if they are in a skirt than if they are in jeans.
I like to wear skirts because I find that I act more lady like and that men treat me more as I like to be treated when I'm in a skirt.
I think skirts are beautiful and feminine and I prefer to wear them most days.

I still wear pants though.
because I enjoy working in the yard and lounging about which can be more dificult in skirts. Jeans are comfortable and much warmer than skirts on a cold day. Jeans also tend to go with everything whereas skirts often have to go with certain shirts.
It can be hard to be active and sit on the floor etc. if you wear a skirt.

some women though don't share my opinion and don't feel comfortable in skirts. I fully respect their opinions. I don't think we should make a rule that women should only wear skirts. I feel that it should be left to God, the woman, and her husband.
every woman should dress to be as modest as possible according to what she does and what God is calling her to do.

~Angelle

Edited by missionarybelle