An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope doesn't believe in Medjugorje...

brendan1104

When a church is packed out with teenagers and twenty-somethings on a Saturday night for for 3 hours for Mass/Adoration/Rosary it's hard to deny that something special isn't happening there.

But Myles is absolutely right, the apparitions are not to supercede the Most Holy Trinity and the Power of Mass. Christ gave us everything we needed to know in order to gain salvation and be His disciple when he died, rose, and established the Church.

I share Myles' skepticism s I think that we all should. We must remain focused on Jesus. Anything that detracts from that is a negative. I have however, seen many miracles and other fruits come from Medjugorje. I friend of mine received her vocation there, another received a call to do youth ministry, while another had a prayer answered in a way that can only be called a miricle. That said, if travelling there leads someone to deeper prayer and a closer walk with our Lord were these gifts associated with the events at Medjugorje or just a deepening of prayer life? :unsure:

brendan1104

[quote name='Tink' date='Apr 15 2006, 12:59 PM'][color=purple]I believe in it wholeheartedly. I've had two friends visit there,  both of whom came back utterly stunned. One witnessed somewhat of a miracle, the other has video of one of visionaries during the alleged apparition. [/color]
[right][snapback]947767[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I can make a video of me rolling around on the ground, making artificial animal noises and forcing myself to laugh and cry all under the inspiration of the "spirit" like the charismatics do at Steubenville; then play pin the tail on cardinal mahoney- i mean donkey- with a seemingly-opaque blindfold but does that make those experiences authentic? I could fake the Medugorje "apparitions" too- just give me 20+ years.

Bayside had "miraculous" photos and videos too, that have turned out to be doctored/created/fakes.

It's also great to know that supposedly-orthodox Catholics, disregard what the pope has said- something he knows to be correct, due to his years of theological study and work...

I mean it's not like he knows better than a lay person or "visionaries" who've believe/purportedly have seen/are seeing in this woman, supposedly Our Lady, hundreds of thousands of times or anything...

Edited by brendan1104

toledo_jesus

I don't care for any apparition I didn't see. So, there. If the Church approves it, then I take their word for it. Fatima, that whole thing. But seriously...this place hasn't done anything revolutionary. I disbelieve it.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Apr 15 2006, 11:17 AM']I can make a video of me rolling around on the ground, making artificial animal noises and forcing myself to laugh and cry all under the inspiration of the "spirit" like the charismatics do at Steubenville; then play pin the tail on cardinal mahoney- i mean donkey-  with a seemingly-opaque blindfold but does that make those experiences authentic? I could fake the Medugorje "apparitions" too- just give me 20+ years. 

Bayside had "miraculous" photos and videos too, that have turned out to be doctored/created/fakes.

It's also great to know that supposedly-orthodox Catholics, disregard what the pope has said- something he knows to be correct, due to his years of theological study and work...

I mean it's not like he knows better than a lay person or "visionaries" who've believe/purportedly have seen/are seeing in this woman, supposedly Our Lady, hundreds of  thousands of times or anything...
[right][snapback]947959[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Did he say this was an infalliable teaching? Or is it his opinion? While I will listen to what Benedict has to say about it, I still must remain neutral on the matter. Don't call people supposed orthodox Catholics because they believe in something that strengthens their faith. Im sorry, but I cannot disregard the good that has come out of that place.

Now the Toronto Blessing, thats ANOTHER matter. :pinch:

Regarding the good that has come out of Medjugorje, you could say that about all false apparitions (just as you could say that about the true ones). I mean, God always -- ALWAYS -- brings good out of bad. Even so, just because people have experienced cures or conversions doesn't automatically mean an apparition is true. Satan, in his quest to win the war (which, of course, we all know won't happen), knows as well as the rest of do that sometimes, in order to win the war, you have to lose a few battles. So if in order to have more people estranged from God, a few people end up closer to Him, then that's perfectly ok with Satan.

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Apr 15 2006, 11:17 AM']I can make a video of me rolling around on the ground, making artificial animal noises and forcing myself to laugh and cry all under the inspiration of the "spirit" like the charismatics do at Steubenville; then play pin the tail on cardinal mahoney- i mean donkey-  with a seemingly-opaque blindfold but does that make those experiences authentic? I could fake the Medugorje "apparitions" too- just give me 20+ years. 

I mean it's not like he knows better than a lay person or "visionaries" who've believe/purportedly have seen/are seeing in this woman, supposedly Our Lady, hundreds of  thousands of times or anything...
[right][snapback]947959[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[color=purple]I think that response is extremely uncharitable and frankly repulsive. I think you should read St. Louis de Montfort's book True Devotion To Mary, or read it again if you have done so already. So many people are so quick to deny the apparitions based on skepticism or mere opinions. Neutral doctors did scientific studies on the visionaries and while most people use around 15% of their brain for typical tasks, the visionaries were using 100% of their brain capacity beginning when the apparition allegedly began and ending after Mary had allegedly disappeared. 'We walk by faith, and not by sight,' remember? I think you should try to take a bit more of a Christlike approach to all of this, rather than attacking it and those who believe in it.
[/color]

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Apr 15 2006, 02:37 PM']:scratchhead: Hmmmm... should I move this now or wait a bit...?
[right][snapback]948366[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[color=purple]Haha sorry, I didn't mean for this to be a debate. I just had to say something.[/color]

Why not just let the matter rest until the Church has her say? I doubt we'd be able to do the kind of extensive research that they could. But Medjugorje has brought about a lot of conversions and reignited the faith for a lot of people. It could be a "miracle" or God bringing good out of bad, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

[color=purple]I agree. However, I therefore know that people who are supposedly seeking Christ as Catholics should not be verbally attacking Medjugorje and those who believe it to be true.[/color] :idontknow:

brendan1104

If everybody will remember correctly the local ordinary in medjugorje has not approved it... rather he is against these fake apparitions and discourages so much false devotion. Many people are not obedient to his directives.... the Church has spoken, in this case the local church.

debate table please.

Edited by brendan1104