An Old School Catholic Message Board

Interreligious dialogue

Dave

I sometimes hear traditionalists claim that the Church shouldn't participate in religious dialogue because, according to them, it's a novelty and that interreligious dialogue = compromise. First of all, dialogue doesn't equal compromise. In fact, all conversion begins with dialogue! Dialogue is an absolute necessity if we want to spread the truth and convert the nations. Nor is dialogue a novelty. Anselm dialogued with the atheist, Aquinas dialogued with the heretic (by virtue of proposing false beliefs), and Athanasius dialogued with the Arians and the Jews. Of course, some might say they [i]converted[/i] them rather than dialoguing with them, but as I said earlier, dialogue can't be separated from conversion. If you want to defeat the heretic, you need to adequately understand his arguments, and if you want to do that, you have to actually come to the table and talk with him.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Dave' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:28 PM']I sometimes hear traditionalists claim that the Church shouldn't participate in religious dialogue because, according to them, it's a novelty and that interreligious dialogue = compromise.  First of all, dialogue doesn't equal compromise.  In fact, all conversion begins with dialogue!  Dialogue is an absolute necessity if we want to spread the truth and convert the nations.  Nor is dialogue a novelty.  Anselm dialogued with the atheist, Aquinas dialogued with the heretic (by virtue of proposing false beliefs), and Athanasius dialogued with the Arians and the Jews.  Of course, some might say they [i]converted[/i] them rather than dialoguing with them, but as I said earlier, dialogue can't be separated from conversion.  If you want to defeat the heretic, you need to adequately understand his arguments, and if you want to do that, you have to actually come to the table and talk with him.
[right][snapback]942590[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Dialouge in the means of trying to convert a person is different from Ecumenical dialouge.

traditionalist are for converting people to catholicism, and bieng charitable and all that jazz.

but their is a difference between ecumencial dialouge, and dialouge meant to convert somone. ecumenical dialouge places faith at the lest common denominator. it justifies heresy, schism, of whatever. it leads to scandal, and relegious indiffernetism, wherer as Dialouge meant for conversion, is just that. it is a means to convert someone to the church.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:39 PM']Dialouge in the means of trying to convert a person is different from Ecumenical dialouge.
traditionalist are for converting people to catholicism, and bieng charitable and all that jazz.
but their is a difference between ecumencial dialouge, and dialouge meant to convert somone. ecumenical dialouge places faith at the lest common denominator. it justifies heresy, schism, of whatever. it leads to scandal, and relegious indiffernetism, wherer as Dialouge meant for conversion, is just that. it is a means to convert someone to the church.
[right][snapback]942606[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You clearly do not understand what ecumenical dialouge is then.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:42 PM']You clearly do not understand what ecumenical dialouge is then.
[right][snapback]942613[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

is that your rebuttal?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:48 PM']is that your rebuttal?
[right][snapback]942622[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No, it is just an observation that I decided to voice outloud :)

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:50 PM']No, it is just an observation that I decided to voice outloud  :)
[right][snapback]942627[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ohhh ok then :)

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:52 PM']ohhh ok then  :)
[right][snapback]942630[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Speaking of :) , how have you been lately?

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:57 PM']Speaking of  :) , how have you been lately?
[right][snapback]942638[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

im ok. i need to go to confession. hopefully i will go tomorrow night, or good friday.

how are you?

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:58 PM']im ok. i need to go to confession. hopefully i will go tomorrow night, or good friday.

how are you?
[right][snapback]942641[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I will pray that you get the opportunity.

I am doing okay. I would like to get to confession as well. I havent been in lately, havent had the chance.

The dialogue the Church participates in is for converting others. Also, interreligious dialogue has nothing to do with ecumenism. Ecumenism applies to Christians of different faiths. And its goal is also to convert.

Funny you say that... because its been working so well.... i remember lots of converts after Assisi.....

Not

How do you know there weren't any converts? Did you ask John Paul II? Did he say no?

Edited by Dave

[quote name='Dave' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:45 PM']You seem to forget conversions rarely occur overnight.
[right][snapback]942684[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you seem to forget interreligious dialouge is a novelty.