An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you believe in Infant's Limbo?

Resurrexi

Do you beileve in Infant's Limbo  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 9 2006, 04:29 PM']I dunno.  I expect God balances Justice with Mercy.  Justice says Limbo, Mercy says Heaven.  It's up to God, I suppose.

Either way, can we just be sad when babies die?  Jeez.
[right][snapback]941128[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you are separating God's Justice from His Mercy; but this is an error. God's Justice IS His Mercy and His Mercy is His JUstice.... it is for our finite minds that we categorize and define these things in God.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Apr 11 2006, 06:44 AM']you are separating God's Justice from His Mercy; but this is an error.  God's Justice IS His Mercy and His Mercy is His JUstice.... it is for our finite minds that we categorize and define these things in God.
[right][snapback]943165[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I thought I was saying that He balances the two...since Mercy and Justice are distinct concepts. Even if they are the same if they are God's, they'd be balanced, right? :blink:

Well, I'm studying Dante's Inferno right now, but I don't really support the idea of Limbo. Just because a child wasn't baptized by blood doesn't mean that the child wasn't baptized by blood or desire. Assuming that we're discussing the traditional view of Limbo, we have to keep in mind that Limbo is also part of Hell, and Hell is for those who choose sin. If you look at it that way, how could they go to Limbo?

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Apr 11 2006, 07:43 AM']I thought I was saying that He balances the two...since Mercy and Justice are distinct concepts.  Even if they are the same if they are God's, they'd be balanced, right?    :blink:
[right][snapback]943242[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

a balancing implies a separation... there is none in God.

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Apr 9 2006, 01:00 PM']I most definetly beileve in Infant's Limbo, do you?
[right][snapback]940849[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

interesting... you neglect to give us foudational reasons for your belief. could it be that you have none? (by foundational, i mean in Divine Revelation)

stbernardLT

The Church also held the tradition of Father's Limbo where it is believed the patriarchs of the old testament remained till Christ's brought them out of prison on Holy Saturday.

If anyone knows if these two are thought to be related in tradition please explain.

stbernardLT

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Apr 11 2006, 01:30 PM']u mean the "bosom of Abraham"?
[right][snapback]943716[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes but I have heard it referred most recently by Tim Staples as the Father's Limbo.

goldenchild17

I haven't studied it too much, but from what I have read I believe it to be strongly probable. I believe in it. Personally, I feel one reason that a lot of people(not saying anyone here, but some in general) have done away with Limbo, in order to help the abortion cause. Ya know the whole "it doesn't matter if you abourt, the baby will be in heaven anyways" thing. Not saying it is common, but I have definitely come across it a lot.

stbernardLT

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='Apr 11 2006, 03:32 PM']I haven't studied it too much, but from what I have read I believe it to be strongly probable.  I believe in it.  Personally, I feel one reason that a lot of people(not saying anyone here, but some in general) have done away with Limbo, in order to help the abortion cause.  Ya know the whole "it doesn't matter if you abourt, the baby will be in heaven anyways" thing.  Not saying it is common, but I have definitely come across it a lot.
[right][snapback]943841[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Very misguided on why is isn't comon anymore. Try the fact that it was never actually doctrine in the first place.

goldenchild17

I never said it was. And since it isn't I am free to theorize about why people don't like it nowadays. I think that is one(read: one) likely cause of it.

the problem w/ the limbo issue is that Divine Revelation gives to us only 2 permanent places after death -- Heaven and Hell. Limbo isn't there....

[quote]The Church also held the tradition of Father's Limbo where it is believed the patriarchs of the old testament remained till Christ's brought them out of prison on Holy Saturday.

If anyone knows if these two are thought to be related in tradition please explain.[/quote]

I think you are using the wrong verb ending... each verb should end in "s" as in "The Church also holds the tradition of Father's Limbo where it is believed the patriarchs of the OT remained till Churst brought them out..."

oh, and by the way, He didnt bring them out till Easter Sunday morning. He stayed with them on Good Friday Evening and for the whole day on Holy Saturday.

[quote]the problem w/ the limbo issue is that Divine Revelation gives to us only 2 permanent places after death -- Heaven and Hell. Limbo isn't there....[/quote]

Limbo is part of hell.

no. The Apostles Creed says "He decended into Hell" which in Latin is "descendit ad inferos" and I don't think "inferos" can be translated as "the dead" as it is in some modern translastions of the Apostles Creed. That being said, it is dogmatically defined that Limbo is part of the large realm of hell.