An Old School Catholic Message Board

For those interseted in cloistered life

HisChild

I was reading the booklet called The Meaning of Vocation: In the words of John Paul II and in it, among other things, he speaks of the vocation to the cloistered life.

[quote]I want to reaffirm strongly the eminently apostolic role of cloistered nuns.  To leave the world to devote oneself in solitude to deeper and constant prayer is none other than a special way of being an apostle.  It would be an error to consider cloistered nuns as creatures separated from their contemporaries, isolated and seemingly cut off from the world and the Church.  Rather, they are present to them, and in a deeper way, with the same tenderness as that of Christ.  It is therefore not surprising that the bishops of the new churches solicit, as an eminent grace, the possbility of receiving a monastery of contemplative religious, even if workers for the active apostolate are still in such insufficient number.[/quote]

I thought that inspiring. I :love: our JP II the Great!

PCPA2Be's Mom

I thought the quote was very inspiring and a perfect answer to those who can not "understand" why anyone would want to be in a cloister.

:clap: :bigclap: :bigpray: :bigpray:

thanks for sharing

Deb

brandelynmarie

On one of the yahoo forums that I belong to, there was a very serious discussion about the superiority of active vs contemplative life...I think the above quote is well-said...Being contemplative is truly apostolic! :saint:

passionheart

[quote name='brandelynmarie' date='Apr 8 2006, 02:19 AM']On one of the yahoo forums that I belong to, there was a very serious discussion about the superiority of active vs contemplative life...I think the above quote is well-said...Being contemplative is truly apostolic!  :saint:
[right][snapback]939832[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I don't think people understand the call and so they are shocked when someone says they are entering. Especially, if the person is outgoing then you get a lot of questionable looks. Such has been my problem.

Yet, how can express in words your call to live your passion to be with your completely. In prayer, we are leaving the world to enter into more deeply with Christ.

Very cool Denise! It reminds me of discussions about the mystical body of Christ and just how real it is, and in some senses, more real than the physical reality we perceive.

• 2 weeks later...

And one of the reasons the SOLC was founded in 1988--to educate the world of the importance of the cloistered life (and provide a "safe harbor" for discerners).

Many of you may already know our website:

[url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/"]Society of Our Lady of the Cloister[/url]

"Our Lady of the Cloister" is a legit title of Our Lady, and can be found on calendars strictly devoted to Marian feast days. I believe the Cistercians started calling her that. The feast is celebrated in October in France.

I started calling her by that title when I went to the former Ursuline Academy of the Immaculate Conception in Louisville, KY, that had been turned into a mini-mall named "The Cloister." A statue of the IC was in the courtyard. Way later on, when on vocation retreat, the Visitandines had devotions before a statue of Our Lady in the cloister, and one of the titles used in the litany was "Our Lady of the Cloister," which really caught my attention. (The nuns noticed my reaction, too).

When I went to Jesu Caritas in Nashville, I met other cloister discerners. The "rest is history" as they say.

I'll stop here. Pardon the rambling.

Blessings,
Gemma

Gemma,

Bless you for your efforts!

You should start a thread to talk about the history of the SOLC and it's mission. I don't believe my daughter was familiar with your society, it most certainly would have assisted her.

Welcome to Phatmass.

Michael

wow Denise that was wonderful, I :love: JP II that was great!!! Perfect for those who can't respect the cloistererd life and it explains to them why your not just running from the world.

ThyWillBeDone

Yay for cloistered nuns. We have carmelite cloister not far from my seminary. We love to go visit, the sisters are so awesome, and we know they are constantly praying for us.
God Bless

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='954815' date='Apr 20 2006, 07:22 AM']
Gemma,

Bless you for your efforts!

You should start a thread to talk about the history of the SOLC and it's mission. I don't believe my daughter was familiar with your society, it most certainly would have assisted her.

Welcome to Phatmass.

Michael
[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome. I'll consider the thread--if anyone can give me a prompt!

Blessings,
Gemma

That's an awesome quote! I love cloistered religious :love: ... don't think I could ever [i]be[/i] one, but I really admire such people for their devotion to God's Will.