An Old School Catholic Message Board

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

Krush2k2

1337 k4th0l1x0r

There's a problem in Alabama now where homebuilders are hiring cheap Mexican labor to lay brick. While most would think that bricklaying is just a laborious and low-skill job, it actually requires quite a bit of thinking and training. Brick houses have pretty much had to be tore down and rebuilt because the brick was poorly laid and doesn't meet code. It would be nice to give the immigrants training and at least familiarize them with some American customs. One time I was going into anaphylactic shock and my wife(then fiance) was rushing me to the hospital. It was a quick trip until we came into a construction site and an immigrant was directing traffic over a one lane area. My wife had her hazard lights on and was honking and I was grabbing my neck in a choke sign right in front of the guy directing traffic. He looked at us like we were speaking swahili and kept directing traffic from the other direction. And this road was only 3 blocks from the hospital.

mariahLVzJP2

[quote name='Era Might' date='Apr 6 2006, 10:47 AM']"Alien" just means someone from another land. It's a biblical word, although today we associate it with Martians from outer space.
[right][snapback]937695[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i know what it means but it seems dehumanizing because it also means maritians, invader, etc. and if you look back in history California, Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico was Mexico before the U.S. took the land away from them.

[quote name='mariahLVzJP2' date='Apr 6 2006, 09:45 AM']A little off topic, but in my opinion calling them illegal ALIENS is degrading.
[right][snapback]937652[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

My moms a "legal" alien. The term "alien" isn't degrading.

mariahLVzJP2

[quote]And who is my neighbor? (Luke 10:29)    Immigrants live among us.  They serve us in our restaurants and hotels, clean our homes, harvest our produce, tend to our yards, and provide us with technical expertise and factory labor.  Many are entrepreneurs creating employment opportunities for others.  Thier childern go to our schools.  Their families go to our Churches.  They are our neighbors. [/quote]

I already posted this on another thread but here it is again:

"I was a stranger and you welcomed me' (Matthew 25:35) Today the illegal migrant comes before us like that 'stranger' in whom Jesus asks to be recognized. To welcome him and to show him solidarity is a duty of hospitality and fidelity to Christian identity itself."

-John Paull II, annual message for World Migration Day, 1996.

[quote name='mariahLVzJP2' date='Apr 8 2006, 11:40 AM']I already posted this on another thread but here it is again:

"I was a stranger and you welcomed me' (Matthew 25:35)  Today the illegal migrant comes before us like that 'stranger' in whom Jesus asks to be recognized.  To welcome him and to show him solidarity is a duty of hospitality and fidelity to Christian identity itself."

-John Paull II,  annual message for World Migration Day, 1996.
[right][snapback]940119[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:( Hard to argue with that quote.