An Old School Catholic Message Board

Washing of the feet

Paladin

[quote name='kateri05' date='Apr 5 2006, 12:45 PM']but my husband asked that same question paladin:  why are non-priests (or deacons or men in seminary) getting their feet washed.... and i didn't have a good answer :sadwalk:
[right][snapback]936594[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Because the Apostles were not yet Priests when Christ washed their feet.

I was just told that my feet will be washed on Holy Thursday - and I'm a girl. Should I say something to the priest? I feel kinda uncomfortable being one of the people chosen...

Mateo el Feo

Following some discussions on the Catholic.com forums, I saw the following link:

[url="http://www.adoremus.org/PaschaleSolemnitatis.html#anchor268078"]http://www.adoremus.org/PaschaleSolemnitat...ml#anchor268078[/url]

The text includes the following:
[quote name='Paschale Solemnitatis' date=' Paragraph 51']The washing of the feet of chosen men which, according to tradition, is performed on this day, represents the service and charity of Christ, who came "not to be served, but to serve." [58] This tradition should be maintained, and its proper significance explained.[/quote]

AngelofJesus

Washing of the feet is not sacramental. We are simply recreating or imitating what Christ did on that night. He washed only men's feet, so in recreating that night, that's what it should be.

I compare it to the stations of the cross on Good Friday.

I'm getting my foot washed this year and I'm a girl. I've been doing this for about 2 years now, this will be my third time. I probably won't do it again if it's only supposed to be men but I already signed up to do it this year

Edited by avemaria40

Amator Veritatis

To both morostheos and avemaria40, I would recommend that you simply inform the priest that you are uncomfortable participating in the [i]Mandatum[/i] or the Maundy, that is, the rite for the washing of the feet. You can state that you would not be comfortable doing this because the Church has laid down specific guidelines that only the feet of men are to be washed and that you wish to abide by these guidelines, even if they have been dispensed by the local Bishop. Simply state that you would be distracted from the solemn and holy functions happening at Mass and would not be able to recollect yourself, if that be the case. Certainly the priest will not force you to do something that would put you in such a situation, especially if you agreed to do it ignorant of the Church's position. There will surely be plenty of men at the Mass, any of whose feet could be washed in your places.