An Old School Catholic Message Board

Washing of the feet

Paladin

Okay, so there's a bit of a hubbub in our diocese due to a recent notice by the bishop. He's stated that, per liturgical norms, only adult men are to have their feet washed on Holy Thursday. In prior years, many parishes also washed women's feet, and some laity are seeing this as an attack on their traditions. Some people are blaming the bishop, but he's really just doing his job enforcing liturgical standards, IMO. I'm not aware of any call for disobedience to the bishop among the clergy, though I do know of one priest who has chosen to not do the ceremony.

The logic for the litrugical norm is that only men were Apostles, only Apostles got their feet washed, and therefore only men should get their feet washed. My main problem with this logic is that it is the exact same logic that demands an all-male priesthood. Now I'm down with the all male priesthood, but if we're using this same logic for the footwashing, shouldn't [i]only priests [/i]get their feet washed? And if we conclude that it is not just priests, then shouldn't [i]anyone[/i] Catholic be eligible? :idontknow:

Please, share your thoughts.

Edited by Paladin

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the washing of women's feet because, as you note, this is neither a Sacrament nor a function of the ordained. Back in like the 12th century Bishops had to wash the feet of 12 poor men. Last year, a dispensation was given to Cardinal O'Malley to continue the practice of washing women's feet. But you're correct that the Liturgical norm specifies 12 men.

When the Lord washed the feet of the Apostles, they were not yet ordained, so they were still laymen. They weren't ordained until the rite of the Eucharist, when he told them to "do this in memory of me".

Edited by Era Might

Doesn't the Priest anoint the hands and feet for the Sacrament of the sick? You'll have no choice... ;)

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Apr 5 2006, 09:06 AM']I would never present my naked feet to my priest.
[right][snapback]936320[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The year I was confirmed, my priest made me do this. I didn't want to.

But, it was a really humbling experience and I'm glad I did it ... although, I wouldn't volunteer to do it again.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Era Might' date='Apr 5 2006, 08:07 AM']Doesn't the Priest anoint the hands and feet for the Sacrament of the sick? You'll have no choice... ;)
[right][snapback]936321[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, okay... if I'm super sick... but not in a normal situation. I'd have to get a pedecure first...

I had my feet washed at Holy Thursday last year, and I've done foot washing ceremonies before at retreats and the like. It's really a humbling experience, whether you're washing or being washed.

I mean, think about the feet of the Apostles. They were lower-class working men who wore leather sandals. Their feet were probably caked in dirt and mud. Most of the time, priests nowadays only have to deal with sock fuzzies.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Apr 5 2006, 09:18 AM']Well, okay... if I'm super sick... but not in a normal situation. I'd have to get a pedecure first...
[right][snapback]936334[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I got a pedicure once. It tickled so much I could hardly hold my feet still.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Apr 5 2006, 09:18 AM']Well, okay... if I'm super sick... but not in a normal situation. I'd have to get a pedecure first...
[right][snapback]936334[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Hsmom has a med bracelet that says

"In case of a medical emergency, call a pedicurist"

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Apr 5 2006, 10:27 AM']I"m not ticklish...
[right][snapback]936424[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I wish I wasn't.

My friend's dog has a penchant for licking feet. It really freaks me out.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Apr 5 2006, 09:37 AM']Hsmom has a med bracelet that says

"In case of a medical emergency, call a pedicurist"
[right][snapback]936439[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:sweat:

yea, my husband (IN RCIA) is having his feet washed and they wanna wash mine. i've had it done before, but ever since i found out that its supposed to be only men, i don't want to do it.

but my husband asked that same question paladin: why are non-priests (or deacons or men in seminary) getting their feet washed.... and i didn't have a good answer :sadwalk:

anyone :idontknow:

[quote name='kateri05' date='Apr 5 2006, 11:45 AM']yea, my husband (IN RCIA) is having his feet washed and they wanna wash mine.  i've had it done before, but ever since i found out that its supposed to be only men, i don't want to do it.

but my husband asked that same question paladin:  why are non-priests (or deacons or men in seminary) getting their feet washed.... and i didn't have a good answer :sadwalk:

anyone :idontknow:
[right][snapback]936594[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Weird, ain't it? It seems there's precedence for washing women's feet if other cardinals are granting indults to do so, and the logic behind all-male feet doesn't seem to hold up. So why is it in the GIRM as it is? :huh: