An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Scandal

Lil Red

[quote name='stbernardLT' date='Apr 5 2006, 03:21 PM'] And why is it a bad thing to pay lawyers and court cost.  [right][snapback]936945[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Paying lawyers and court costs are not bad things. My complaint is against lawyers who are profiting millions from all this. Some have taken out ads to generate buisness. ("Have you been injured in an accident?... Call ... Get paid!" version)

[quote name='stbernardLT' date='Apr 5 2006, 03:21 PM']Not every case is a guilty verdict, we must defend our priest if they are indeed innocent. [right][snapback]936945[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The cases that are resulting in big money settlements are not penal rulings. They are civil suites. There is not guilty verdict.

BTW, some of these suites are against priests who are dead?!

stbernardLT

[quote name='jswranch' date='Apr 5 2006, 05:03 PM']Paying lawyers and court costs are not bad things.  My complaint is against lawyers who are profiting millions from all this.  Some have taken out ads to generate buisness.  ("Have you been injured in an accident?... Call ... Get paid!" version) 
The cases that are resulting in big money settlements are not penal rulings.  They are civil suites.  There is not guilty verdict. 

BTW, some of these suites are against priests who are dead?!
[right][snapback]937006[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well I think it is fair in all civil suits if the victim has suffered greatly as with molestation that they should be entitled to something. And whether or not the priest is dead shouldn't make a difference, because a lot of this resulted from Bishops moving these priest around, and the diocese should pay the settlement. If my kid were molested or myself molested I would expect something in return especially to handle therapy fees if that was needed. But again this has to be done, because the church has to take responsibilty for its "employees" actions and seek to reconcile with those children of God who have been hurt. No matter what the cost.