An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Seal of School Sisters of Christ the King

SisterAli

[url="http://www.rc.net/lincoln/schoolsisters/home"]The Seal of School Sisters of Christ the King[/url]

If you click on this link it will bring up the picture of the *Seal* of Christ the King Sisters up in the top left hand corner. I just want to share with you what the seal is and symbolizes.

We belong to Christ through Creation (background of blue and green for the sky and earth), through Redemption (the cross), and through Donation [u]School Sisters of Christ the King[/u]

[BOuter Circle[/B] (of the three circles around the perimeter) This circle is red to symbolize the vow of Obedience, the spiritual martyrdom: "Christ became obedient unto death, death on the cross." (Phil. 2:8)

[b]Middle Circle[/b] This circle is white for the purity of Jesus Christ and His Mother, Mary; therefore it symbolizes the vow of Chastity. The Sisters are to live with hearts for Christ alone.

[b]Inner Circle[/b] This circle is gold for the vow of poverty. It is a reminder that true treasure in heaven is gained when material treasure is sacrificed for the sake of Christ.

[b]Stars[/b] There are twelve stars around the outer edge of the seal. Twelve is a number representing fullness. The primary reference is to Mary, the Mother of Christ and Queen of Heaven: "A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars" (Rev. 11:19). Also as a sign of gratitude, these twelve stars imitate the twelve stars of Mary found in the seal of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

[b]Rays[/b] The rays accompany the stars in imitation of the seal of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

[b]Cross[/b] When Christ was crucified on the cross, He was called a king: "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews" (John 19:19). This cross is also to call to mind the Alphonsian heritage of the School Sisters of Christ the King. Through the sufferings and trials of each member and through lives of asceticism, the sisters share in the redemptive work of Christ, the Redeemer.

[b]Crown[/b] The crown symbolizes Christ the King, Who reigns now and for ever in heaven.

[b]Stole[/b] The stole symbolizes the love and respect the sisters have for the Priesthood of christ. In combination with the cross, it also refers to the victory over death by Christ, the Risen King.

[b]Host and Chalice[/b] The sisters have special devotion to the Eucharistic King and a special zeal to inspire this devotion in the children whom they will teach.

[b]Halo and Crib[/b] These symbols represent not only the mystery of the Eucharist, but also the mystery of the Incarnation. As Jesus lay in the crib He was, for the first time, hailed as King.

[b]Wheat and Grapes[/b] This is a Eucharistic reference. The wheat and grapes are used to make the bread and wine which become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

[b]Left Book[/b] This book represents the Gospel of Christ, the Word of God. The sisters are called to evangelize, to spread the Gospel and to prepare people for the Kingdom of Heaven.

[b]Right Book[/b] This book represents the apostolate of the sisters: Catholic Education.

[b]1976[/b] 1976 was the year in which the first women entered the Institute of the School Sisters of Christ the King.

[b]Ut Christus Regnet[/b] "That Christ may reign." This motto is taken from the coat of arms of Bishop Glennon Patrick Flavin, who founded the School Sisters of Christ the King.

Hope you all enjoy!!! I thought I should post a little information on my order, means I will entering soon in September, God willing.

Ali

Edited by SisterAli

Ali, that is very :cool:
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/OLAM%20Entrance/ssck.gif[/img]

How did you DO THAT!!!!?????? I'm was tryin' to do that...and it just wouldn't work >:( Oh well, but thank you. You like it? :idontknow:

[quote name='OLAM Dad' date='Apr 4 2006, 02:33 PM']Ali, that is very :cool:
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/OLAM%20Entrance/ssck.gif[/img]
[right][snapback]935452[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='SisterAli' date='Apr 4 2006, 02:41 PM']How did you DO THAT!!!!??????  I'm was tryin' to do that...and it just wouldn't work  >:(    Oh well, but thank you.  You like it?  :idontknow:
[right][snapback]935465[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, I think it's awesome. I even liked it before you explained all the symbolism. It looks a lot like the unit patches we would wear in the military, they are very symbolic as well...but in a different sort of way. :)

I'm a little curious. A couple of times, you mentioned another congregation. Are you related to the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary?

I knew someone would ask :) Here is why they were mentioned...

The Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary of Immaculata, Pennsylvania, just outside of Philadelphia, graciously took the fledgling community under their wings. For the first eight years they accepted into their own formation program the first few members of the School Sisters of Christ the King. In 1984, a temporary motherhouse was established in Lincoln, Nebraska where susequent candidates received their religious training. As the Sisters were ready, they engaged in the teaching apostolate in the Lincoln Catholic Schools. In 1992, a permanent motherhouse was erected southwest of Lincoln to accommodate the religious training and community needs of the Institue.

Hope that helps you out.

[quote name='PCPA2Be' date='Apr 4 2006, 02:55 PM']I'm a little curious.  A couple of times, you mentioned another congregation.  Are you related to the  Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary?
[right][snapback]935492[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]