An Old School Catholic Message Board

The problems with the way liberals think...

ironmonk

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Apr 4 2006, 07:54 PM']The bill is not against the common good.
The bill is not at odds with the Catholic teaching.
The bill is totally justifed by Catholic teaching.
[right][snapback]935762[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

A) That is a matter of legitimate dispute.
B) See above.
C) See above.

[quote name='dUSt' date='Apr 4 2006, 07:51 PM']I love Ironmonk more than my mom.
[right][snapback]935757[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Dust has heard my soft spoken voice... and knows my tone... Maybe the next time we play AOK, we'll have to use teamspeak and have others who don't play hook up so they can hear for themselves the tone of my writings.
lol

Conservatives tend to quit reading when they feel satisfied

[quote]2244 Every institution is inspired, at least implicitly, by a vision of man and his destiny, from which it derives the point of reference for its judgment, its hierarchy of values, its line of conduct. Most societies have formed their institutions in the recognition of a certain preeminence of man over things. Only the divinely revealed religion has clearly recognized man's origin and destiny in God, the Creator and Redeemer. The Church invites political authorities to measure their judgments and decisions against this inspired truth about God and man:

Societies not recognizing this vision or rejecting it in the name of their independence from God are brought to seek their criteria and goal in themselves or to borrow them from some ideology. Since they do not admit that one can defend an objective criterion of good and evil, they arrogate to themselves an explicit or implicit totalitarian power over man and his destiny, as history shows.51

2245 The Church, because of her commission and competence, is not to be confused in any way with the political community. She is both the sign and the safeguard of the transcendent character of the human person. "The Church respects and encourages the political freedom and responsibility of the citizen."52

2246 I[b]t is a part of the Church's mission "to pass moral judgments even in matters related to politics, whenever the fundamental rights of man or the salvation of souls requires it. The means, the only means, she may use are those which are in accord with the Gospel and the welfare of all men according to the diversity of times and circumstances[/b]."53 [/quote]

Basic food and shelter are fundamental rights. Those who would ignore 2246 would prove that their conscience is not an upright one. They are not following the teachings of the Church

You have been corrected

Edited by jaime

AngelofJesus

In Texas It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Dang it. According to Ironmonk I'm going to hell.

toledo_jesus

This bill is big government. True conservatives will oppose it.

By gum, they better keep off'n m'land. I ain't kiddin' neither. The Federal guvmint is a bloated tick. This bill is just one more sip of blood to them.

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Apr 4 2006, 06:56 PM']Dust has heard my soft spoken voice... and knows my tone... Maybe the next time we play AOK, we'll have to use teamspeak and have others who don't play hook up so they can hear for themselves the tone of my writings.
lol
[right][snapback]935766[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Funny, I always imagined you like this....in fact you have several albums out, don't you?

[img]http://www.robzombie.com/images/local/150/d76e8aef-c01c-4609-9d64-8ab01fad2579.jpg[/img]

[quote name='AngelofJesus' date='Apr 4 2006, 09:04 PM']In Texas It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.
Dang it. According to Ironmonk I'm going to hell.
[right][snapback]935870[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Wrong. Those laws are not for the common good. Even if they were, it is such a small thing it would hardly warrant damnation

[quote name='notardillacid' date='Apr 5 2006, 12:16 AM']Wrong. Those laws are not for the common good. Even if they were, it is such a small thing it would hardly warrant damnation
[right][snapback]936102[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I bet someone thought they were for the common good ... otherwise they wouldn't be law.

AngelofJesus

[quote name='notardillacid' date='Apr 4 2006, 08:16 PM']Wrong. Those laws are not for the common good. Even if they were, it is such a small thing it would hardly warrant damnation
[right][snapback]936102[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

And giving food to the poor (no questions asked) warrants damnation?

Is there a course in hermitology? Because I would like to take it.

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Apr 5 2006, 07:21 AM']I bet someone thought they were for the common good ... otherwise they wouldn't be law.
[right][snapback]936256[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Should I put up lists of stupid laws? Or shall we agree they exist. :)

AoJ,
We also have a right and resonsibility for what God's Bblessed s with. Yeah, there should be some questions. Are we aiding and fostering irresppnsible behavior at the expense of others who need it more with less culpability for the situation they,re in?

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Apr 4 2006, 11:08 AM']
Spiritual needs outweigh all physical needs. All physical needs will pass. Spiritual needs are forever. "Seek first the kingdom of God" means that our priorities must start with the Spirit.... To put a physical need infront of a spiritual need is wrong, and therefore a sin... [right][snapback]935232[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm always intrigued to unravel the implications of your arguments, IM.

1) Have you noticed that in the Catholic Church our spiritual needs are met through a physical medium--i.e., through the sacraments? Perhaps you have particularly heard of the most holy Eucharist, the Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ?

2) Speaking of our Lord, it is essential to remember that he is the Word INCARNATE. We do not just believe in a spiritual God, but in a God who came to share in our embodiment. BTW, his body rose as well (that's why the tomb was empty).

3) I agree that all physical needs will pass. But that's not because our physicality will pass--remember, Catholic's believe in the resurrection of the body given our belief in point 2 above.

4) Spiritual needs will in fact pass, praise God, when we share eternal life with Him in heaven. Faith and hope will pass away, God will be in all in all through the communion of love.

5) Regarding your point that it is a sin to place the physical before the spiritual, it is pretty clear from Matthew 25 that when one sees someone who is hungry, thirsty, a stranger, naked, sick, or in prison, and one does not respond to their physical needs, one is in fact sinning in a manner that is worthy of eternal condemnation--unless we're being turned into goats for venial sins in which case I'm just going to haunt the confessional. That doesn’t mean that you couldn’t offer them something spiritual as well; but at least in this case, the physical needs have a clear claim upon the person wishing to act in a moral manner.

The implication of your argument: giving too much priority to spirituality over physicality can lead one into some dark alleys regarding little things like dogma and the gospel.