An Old School Catholic Message Board

What English Bible Do You Read?

Resurrexi

What English Bible Do You Read?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1515944' date='May 1 2008, 12:18 PM']"it read all wrong"? you mean, it wasn't as pretty sounding as you would have liked it to be? as bland as the translation may be, it keeps the teachings of Jesus Christ in tact. King James.. now why did they break from the Catholic Church again? i wonder if protestants changed anything to suit their new beliefs? there must be something different among the thousands of churches and hundreds of translations..

i guess we knew this would turn into this. if it be, let's start with, "do you know where your Bible came from?" (hint: it's not perfect, but you say it is.)[/quote]

No translation is perfect. Not even honest men translating the Bible. No person's bible is perfect. But there is an elegance to the King James Bible that I can never let go. It is as if God was waiting for that translation to be written to give it a stamp of approval.

I am a proud owner of 5 KJV bibles. I'm not one of those, it must be KJV people, but I love reading it. I love how the spirit will testify things in the KJV that you will not get out of any other bible. Though one of them was sent to my friend David in Japan, because I felt an obligation because I was the person who said, you know some of the things that are about to happen, and you're preparing physically, but you need to prepare spiritually, which lead him to repenting to his sins and being baptized!

To make a stupid argument about thousands of translations and thousands of different churches is kinda childish.

King James wanted to commission a bible because God wanted him to. It's not perfect, but neither is any of the other translations anybody else is bringing up here.

That is why you need the spirit, because it will give you understanding as to what the Lord means in certain passages.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516397' date='May 1 2008, 11:39 PM']No translation is perfect. Not even honest men translating the Bible. No person's bible is perfect. But there is an elegance to the King James Bible that I can never let go. It is as if God was waiting for that translation to be written to give it a stamp of approval.
To make a stupid argument about thousands of translations and thousands of different churches is kinda childish.

King James wanted to commission a bible because God wanted him to. It's not perfect, but neither is any of the other translations anybody else is bringing up here.

That is why you need the spirit, because it will give you understanding as to what the Lord means in certain passages.[/quote]
Translations need to be faithful to the word and intent of the authors/editors, and inspire us with the Word of GOd. Thats why my choice is NEB.
As to the Spirit-that sounds fine in theory but in practice it falls apart. We have any number of non-catholics here in the past testifying as to what a particular passage meant because the "spirit" told them. Trouble is they didn't agree. God is not a God of discord. Remember the Church chose the New Testament books because they agree with Church teaching, and declared them authentic transmission of the Truth. Jesus founded a Church, and the Church guarentees its the Word of God.

johnnydigit

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1516397' date='May 1 2008, 08:39 PM']No translation is perfect. Not even honest men translating the Bible. No person's bible is perfect. But there is an elegance to the King James Bible that I can never let go. It is as if God was waiting for that translation to be written to give it a stamp of approval.

I am a proud owner of 5 KJV bibles. I'm not one of those, it must be KJV people, but I love reading it. I love how the spirit will testify things in the KJV that you will not get out of any other bible. Though one of them was sent to my friend David in Japan, because I felt an obligation because I was the person who said, you know some of the things that are about to happen, and you're preparing physically, but you need to prepare spiritually, which lead him to repenting to his sins and being baptized!

That is why you need the spirit, because it will give you understanding as to what the Lord means in certain passages.[/quote]

ya, it makes me feel good too. but feelings are fleeting, that's why we choose the most perfect one out of the bunch. if you want the fragmented and corrupted versions among the thousands which conform to the agenda of their protestant translators, so be it. to deny that the Catholic Church is the holder of the original is to deny basic history.

so, you're following a King and his desires (which you claim is from God, without any proof), versus the Church that God has bestowed His authority on (which is proven in Matthew 16:18) to keep His teachings in tact.

if Jesus is your hero, maybe you should follow His cold hard truth about how He wanted to establish His Church on earth, rather than what *you* want and what makes *you* feel good. look to your Christian history. the books are there.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1516438' date='May 1 2008, 10:20 PM']Translations need to be faithful to the word and intent of the authors/editors, and inspire us with the Word of GOd. Thats why my choice is NEB.
As to the Spirit-that sounds fine in theory but in practice it falls apart. We have any number of non-catholics here in the past testifying as to what a particular passage meant because the "spirit" told them. Trouble is they didn't agree. God is not a God of discord. Remember the Church chose the New Testament books because they agree with Church teaching, and declared them authentic transmission of the Truth. Jesus founded a Church, and the Church guarentees its the Word of God.[/quote]

I don't make any such claims, that a scripture means this, or means that.

What I am saying, God's truth comes much easier to me in the KJV than any other translation. I understand it better when I read a KJV.

God wanted this translation, nuff said.

What I am reading here is not that I am biased, as I have said, all Translations are just as good as all other translations, if there was honest intent to translate.

Many of your answers are filled with bigotry, which is not surprising. Make sure you park the ego when it comes to which translations are good and which ones are bad, because all translations say that we are to love each other as God has loved us, and that we should be as one as Jesus and the father are one.

Leave your ego behind, and then its all the same.

johnnydigit

who needs an ego when your credibility is moot by referring to a protestant Bible? look at all the options again, remember what option you chose (or fall under), and remember what website you're at (hint: argue about which Catholic Bible is better for you, and you might stand a chance). you simply can't win when every bit of evidence and history book says you're dead wrong. this isn't any old argument, this is your life and eternal soul. you found God, you found Jesus, now get His Church right.

"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong." - G.K. Chesteron

"It (Catholicism) is the only thing that frees a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age." - G.K. Chesteron

being a Christian means constant conversion, constant growth. it's time to grow up.

cmotherofpirl

Actually James was simply following up Elizabeth's idea to get a news translation of the Bible. The two protestant bibles were such bad translations the puritans asked it to be re-translated and he agreed.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1518754' date='May 4 2008, 07:16 PM']who needs an ego when your credibility is moot by referring to a protestant Bible? look at all the options again, remember what option you chose (or fall under), and remember what website you're at (hint: argue about which Catholic Bible is better for you, and you might stand a chance). you simply can't win when every bit of evidence and history book says you're dead wrong. this isn't any old argument, this is your life and eternal soul. you found God, you found Jesus, now get His Church right.
"It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong." - G.K. Chesteron
"It (Catholicism) is the only thing that frees a man from the degrading slavery of being a child of his age." - G.K. Chesteron

being a Christian means constant conversion, constant growth. it's time to grow up.[/quote]

:ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Wow, so convinced are you? Its your way or the highway? I'm dead wrong?

I didn't find Jesus, or God. He found me when I started crying in the wilderness!

I don't think anyone should put down your obvious love of the Lord. The point I think, to me, is that the Catholic Bible is the bible put together using the original words and traditions of the first apostles and disciples. The original bible has always been Catholic. Any bible that has come after that, was altered by man. Books were left out because the person altering it did not want to have to have those parts of God's teachings in his life.
Any bible other than the Catholic bible cannot be counted as the truth or the true word of God. Now, many parts of it may be identical and if they match the Catholic, you are getting the truth. If they don't, you are getting the decisons made without divine intervention and if books are missing, you are not getting all that the Lord wanted us to have.
Doesn't make you a bad Christian, just not a fully informed one. :rolleyes:

johnnydigit

and that would be the non-jerk version of what i said. maybe i need a more docile avatar. it must be the kitty in a frog hat..

honestly, take an honest look at our Christian history. if anything, you'll be stronger in whatever you believe.

praying4carmel

What is the difference between the versions of the Douay Rheims?
I have the one that I got from TAN books, it's a 1941 Imprimatur..I can't find a version of it.
THANKS,
Nancy

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Knight of the Holy Rosary' post='1510340' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:20 AM']I will be learning Greek next semester...and have been looking for a good Greek NT to learn from (insofar as practicing with it).[/quote]
What text(s) are you using for the course? I'm just curious. :)

LivingStone

I heard that for a more accurate OT translations without the wierd olde english, use the RSVII

TeresaBenedicta

Oops, accidently voted incorrectly. I checked the New Revised Standard Version- Catholic Edition when I meant just Revised Standard Version- Catholic Edition.

I also read the New American Bible, I have two copies of it, both are study Bibles. I use those for class assignments and papers. For devotional reading, I like the RSV- Catholic Edition.

Farsight one

I use a NAB, because it's what my godparents gave me at first communion.

I also have one of thos little green KJV's that are only the new testament and Psalms as well as a NT in Gaelic (which I don't understand very well yet)

If I ever need another version, biblegateway.com is my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found a downloadable version of the New Testament:

[url="http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/download.asp"]Eastern Orthodox Bible[/url]