An Old School Catholic Message Board

What English Bible Do You Read?

Resurrexi

What English Bible Do You Read?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1511141' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:59 PM']If it has the words Zondervan written on a Bible, I won't read it.[/quote]
I hear ya! The translators of Zondervan's TNIV Bible certainly took some liberties one might say. hehe.

I'm tempted to boycott modern Bibles altogether and just get a sturdy edition of the Septuagint and forget about it. Hmm... Maybe I'll just switch to the venerable Syriac Peshitta.

They use the NRSV in the lectionaries here, and the inclusive language just ruins some of the passages.

johnnydigit

[quote name='Charms717RM1' post='933494' date='Apr 2 2006, 05:39 PM']I bought the NAB because it's what is used for readings at mass. At the time i didn't know what other Catholic versions there were, so i went out and got this one. I've heard some people complain about it, but I really wouldn't know the difference because this is the only one I've ever picked up and read.[/quote]

my biggest beef so far with the NAB is that it uses "Hail, favored one" instead of "Hail, full of grace". i still have not been able to find an official or valid reason why the bishops chose to change the wording on something so valuable to us and find it such a disservice to Our Lady..

nevertheless i stick to the NAB because it's so common and what they use in the Mass, for many Bible studies, etc. it smells of elderberries to study from when everyone else has different versions and aren't able to follow along with you as well. i use the net to quote from the DR for more eloquent language, or other versions to compare. don't think i can settle on any single one to buy just yet..

it's also tough when i want to memorize a quote, but with so many versions, you have to consider who the quote is most likely for and when you would use it.. basically the context so you can decide which wording would be best to remember. if only there was a more universal translation.. at least we have the universal Church!

I own and/or use several translations:

Douay-Rheims Version (DRV)
Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition (RSV-CE)
New King James Version (NKJV)
Jerusalem Bible (JB)
New American Bible (NAB)
-with Revised New Testament and St. Joseph's Edition
King James Version (KJV)
New International Version (NIV)
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

anyone else read the:
Dead Sea Scrolls, English Translation (don't know the acronym)?

It's so awesome!!!!!!! I can't believe I'm the first to mention it on this thread...

Edited by tgoldson

[quote name='shortnun' post='942035' date='Apr 10 2006, 10:00 AM']Well I don't want to make a huge generalization, but I'd figure that most of us got copies of NAB bibles for 8th grade graduation and then again for confirmation. I know that's how I acquired mine.[/quote]
I was confirmed during 8th grade... and our pastor, Fr. Amey, gave everyone a St. Joseph's Edition of the NAB. He begged us to read them. He said that he wanted us to come to him in a few years asking for another one because the pages were so tattered and torn from use. He was a great pastor.

goldenchild17

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1511436' date='Apr 27 2008, 11:23 AM']anyone else read the:
Dead Sea Scrolls, English Translation (don't know the acronym)?

It's so awesome!!!!!!! I can't believe I'm the first to mention it on this thread...[/quote]

I have a copy of it but haven't read it yet, just looked through.

I've got the Douay-Rheims Challoner Edition. Some have told me to get a new bible. I am partial to mine since it accompained me through highschool and served me well. The only problem with it is the fact that my psalms don't line up very well with other bibles. I work through it though.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1511102' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:46 PM']I am aware of it and I may have read a few things from it but I've never read the entire Bible in that particular translation. Btw, I believe the NEB is actually a distinct translation carried out by English scholars at some point in the past (maybe the 1950's or 60's?). I've never heard anything bad about that translation but I suppose it reflects the state of Biblical scholarship at that time so a serious critic might have a thing or two to say. I suppose it would not reflect the inclusive language fads of more recent times which I would actually consider to be a good thing. hehe.

I hope we have the same translation in mind because I'm quite certain that the NEB was produced by Protestants.[/quote]
Mine is the Catholic edition :). It is an elegant translation, unlike the NAB, and reminds me of the Douay.

JesusIsMySuperHero

I can't wait for my next paycheck, because I have more than enough now for the first year of college, I am going to get a new genuine leather Thompson Chain Reference version of the King James Bible. I love the KJV, it just testifies through the spirit so amazingly. Nothing better than a KJV to let the spirit talk to you, and testify to you.

johnnydigit

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1515504' date='Apr 30 2008, 07:03 PM']I can't wait for my next paycheck, because I have more than enough now for the first year of college, I am going to get a new genuine leather Thompson Chain Reference version of the King James Bible. I love the KJV, it just testifies through the spirit so amazingly. Nothing better than a KJV to let the spirit talk to you, and testify to you.[/quote]

so.. that would mean in the poll you voted for,

N. A Protestant bible which I havent burned yet, though I know the Catechism instructs me to ?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1515504' date='Apr 30 2008, 10:03 PM']I can't wait for my next paycheck, because I have more than enough now for the first year of college, I am going to get a new genuine leather Thompson Chain Reference version of the King James Bible. I love the KJV, it just testifies through the spirit so amazingly. Nothing better than a KJV to let the spirit talk to you, and testify to you.[/quote]
It depends on which of the many translations you are referring to> Some are more flawed than others.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1515673' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:47 PM']It depends on which of the many translations you are referring to> Some are more flawed than others.[/quote]

I have lots of different translations of the KJV, including an original translation - 1611. I'm very passionate about that translation, as it is the 7th translation, and 7 being God's perfect number. Now, that's just circumstancial evidence of its anointing, but hey, as you have faith, be it on to you.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1515793' date='May 1 2008, 02:10 PM']I have lots of different translations of the KJV, including an original translation - 1611. I'm very passionate about that translation, as it is the 7th translation, and 7 being God's perfect number. Now, that's just circumstancial evidence of its anointing, but hey, as you have faith, be it on to you.[/quote]
The 7th translation? May I ask where you're getting that from? Even if you just look at English translations, the KJV is not the 7th (I think it's somewhere around 9th if you just count English translations, so not including the Vulgate, or German translations, or anything like that).

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1509830' date='Apr 25 2008, 05:53 PM']Would it surprise any of you if I said King James Bible. . .

It is the bible that the spirit testifies most to me. I've read other bibles, but they just don't compare. I remember reading a catholic bible for the first time after I read the KJV, and it just read completely wrong.

Of course, the Catholic Version is 'perfect' because God's perfect church wrote it. . .[/quote]
I have a pocket version of the KJV New Testament. Whatever else about its provenance, in my case it's only fair to say that I first met Jesus via that medium, specifically in Romans 8:31-39.

My main bible is now the RSV including "the Apocrypha." Needless to say, it's not the RSV-CE. Is there any real difference other than in the footnotes? In any event, I enjoy the language, which is just a tad "old fashioned" without being archaic or, quite frankly, un-understandable. I also have an NAB lying around somewhere.

johnnydigit

"it read all wrong"? you mean, it wasn't as pretty sounding as you would have liked it to be? as bland as the translation may be, it keeps the teachings of Jesus Christ in tact. King James.. now why did they break from the Catholic Church again? i wonder if protestants changed anything to suit their new beliefs? there must be something different among the thousands of churches and hundreds of translations..

i guess we knew this would turn into this. if it be, let's start with, "do you know where your Bible came from?" (hint: it's not perfect, but you say it is.)