An Old School Catholic Message Board

What English Bible Do You Read?

Resurrexi

What English Bible Do You Read?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1509863' date='Apr 25 2008, 06:27 PM']I read the New English Bible, which I brought home from Cambridge. I have a KJV and a Douay. For study St Ignatius books are the most thorough. The KJV has too many errors and the Douay is not enjoyable to read, so the English one is my favorite.[/quote]
Too many errors compared to what?

Don't you think God can't keep the message pure no matter what honest attempt at translation is made?

Laudate_Dominum

I usually read the [i]Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece [/i]and the Tanakh translation of the Old Testament ([i]The Jewish Study Bible[/i]) but sometimes I pick up my RSV-CE.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1509830' date='Apr 25 2008, 05:53 PM']Would it surprise any of you if I said King James Bible. . .

It is the bible that the spirit testifies most to me. I've read other bibles, but they just don't compare. I remember reading a catholic bible for the first time after I read the KJV, and it just read completely wrong.

Of course, the Catholic Version is 'perfect' because God's perfect church wrote it. . .[/quote]
I enjoy reading the KJV and have a little pocket version that I carried around for years. Many of the modern renditions such as the NIV just rub me the wrong way. For devotional reading I think the KJV is a fine translation. Of course the fact must be faced that by today's standards it is quite problematic. The other big issue with it is that it lacks the complete canon of Scripture (unless you find an edition with the so-called apocrypha).

I don't believe in a 'perfect' translation of the Bible, this just isn't possible. I don't even believe in a perfect language or the perfect linguistic transmission of ideas much less a perfect translation of a text from a slew of source manuscripts that involve a great many uncertainties. Although I suppose resting the worth of a translation upon the dogmatic authority of the Church would be preferable to the authority of the latest little clique of fallible biblical scholars.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1510142' date='Apr 26 2008, 04:22 AM']I usually read the [i]Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece [/i]and the Tanakh translation of the Old Testament ([i]The Jewish Study Bible[/i]) but sometimes I pick up my RSV-CE.[/quote]
I need to get back in the habit of reading my Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1510235' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:25 AM']I don't believe in a 'perfect' translation of the Bible, this just isn't possible. I don't even believe in a perfect language or the perfect linguistic transmission of ideas much less a perfect translation of a text from a slew of source manuscripts that involve a great many uncertainties. Although I suppose resting the worth of a translation upon the dogmatic authority of the Church would be preferable to the authority of the latest little clique of fallible biblical scholars.[/quote]
I agree. If I'm having trouble finding a word in the Hebrew, I'll pick up an NASB just because it's fairly literal. In general, though, I read the NRSV-CE or the Jerusalem Bible.

Knight of the Holy Rosary

Hey L_D would you recommend that Latin/Greek Bible you use? I will be learning Greek next semester...and have been looking for a good Greek NT to learn from (insofar as practicing with it). I am still learning Latin, (I have just completed my first year of it) but figure this would be a good way for me to both keep up with Latin and Greek at the same time (as I learn more).

Any comments would be appreciated.

Pax Christi

Chris

(Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense...in a hurry)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Knight of the Holy Rosary' post='1510340' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:20 AM']Hey L_D would you recommend that Latin/Greek Bible you use? I will be learning Greek next semester...and have been looking for a good Greek NT to learn from (insofar as practicing with it).[/quote]
Yeah, it is a very decent Greek New Testament:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Greek-New-Testament-B-Aland/dp/1598561715/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209228939&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/Greek-New-Testament-...8939&sr=8-2[/url]

There is another edition that has a lexicon in the back that is useful for people new to reading Greek and it is actually a good bit cheaper since it has faux leather binding instead of the bonded leather of the above edition:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Greek-New-Testament-Introduction-dictionary/dp/3438051133/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209228705&sr=8-13"]http://www.amazon.com/Greek-New-Testament-...705&sr=8-13[/url]

I would probably recommend the latter for one interested in a beginners Greek Bible.

I've seen "reader's" Greek Bibles here and there but I've never used them and can't say if they are good or not. Zondervan publishes one that I am aware of for example. Might be something to look into since they may have helpful footnotes for students of Biblical Greek and stuff like that.

Laudate_Dominum

Here is the Zondervan reader's N.T. that I was thinking of:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Readers-Greek-New-Testament-Burgundy/dp/0310273781/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209228939&sr=8-3"]http://www.amazon.com/Readers-Greek-New-Te...8939&sr=8-3[/url]

Since I've never used I can't officially recommend it but you might read people's comments on the page and decide if it is something you're interested in. :)

Cheers.

Deo Iuvente

I use the Confraternity version. It's a good translation, and not hard to understand. Plus, many of the books I have use the old names and divisions for the books, and not the newer ones I used the NAB for approximately 30 minutes, then I locked it in the basement. I personally, can't agree that it's a good translation,besides the heretical foot notes. I'm looking for a RSV-CE, because I've heard it doesn't have as much inclusive language as the RSV-SCE.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1510088' date='Apr 25 2008, 11:08 PM']Too many errors compared to what?

Don't you think God can't keep the message pure no matter what honest attempt at translation is made?[/quote]
heavens no, have you seen some of the new translations?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1510235' date='Apr 26 2008, 03:25 AM']I enjoy reading the KJV and have a little pocket version that I carried around for years. Many of the modern renditions such as the NIV just rub me the wrong way. For devotional reading I think the KJV is a fine translation. Of course the fact must be faced that by today's standards it is quite problematic. The other big issue with it is that it lacks the complete canon of Scripture (unless you find an edition with the so-called apocrypha).

I don't believe in a 'perfect' translation of the Bible, this just isn't possible. I don't even believe in a perfect language or the perfect linguistic transmission of ideas much less a perfect translation of a text from a slew of source manuscripts that involve a great many uncertainties. Although I suppose resting the worth of a translation upon the dogmatic authority of the Church would be preferable to the authority of the latest little clique of fallible biblical scholars.[/quote]
Have you ever read the catholic New English Bible? I can't remember which trans it is, since its borrowed out.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1510825' date='Apr 26 2008, 04:54 PM']Have you ever read the catholic New English Bible? I can't remember which trans it is, since its borrowed out.[/quote]
I am aware of it and I may have read a few things from it but I've never read the entire Bible in that particular translation. Btw, I believe the NEB is actually a distinct translation carried out by English scholars at some point in the past (maybe the 1950's or 60's?). I've never heard anything bad about that translation but I suppose it reflects the state of Biblical scholarship at that time so a serious critic might have a thing or two to say. I suppose it would not reflect the inclusive language fads of more recent times which I would actually consider to be a good thing. hehe.

I hope we have the same translation in mind because I'm quite certain that the NEB was produced by Protestants.

JesusIsMySuperHero

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1510818' date='Apr 26 2008, 04:52 PM']heavens no, have you seen some of the new translations?[/quote]
I said an honest attempt at translation. I don't think many of the new translations are honest attempts. If it has the words Zondervan written on a Bible, I won't read it.