An Old School Catholic Message Board

What English Bible Do You Read?

Resurrexi

What English Bible Do You Read?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Apr 8 2006, 07:00 PM']i'm surprised by the NAB readership. i figured the RSVCE would rule the day.
[right][snapback]940385[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I suspect this is because it is the easiest to obtain in both number and price. It really is not that bad of a translation, relative to the rest of the market, what makes it really bad is the footnotes.

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Apr 8 2006, 08:00 PM']i'm surprised by the NAB readership. i figured the RSVCE would rule the day.
[right][snapback]940385[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well I don't want to make a huge generalization, but I'd figure that most of us got copies of NAB bibles for 8th grade graduation and then again for confirmation. I know that's how I acquired mine.

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Apr 10 2006, 11:05 AM']the NAB is the common study Bible... so I'm not surprised by its readership, phatcatholic
[right][snapback]942267[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that he is surprised because when compared with other options, better educated Catholics would not use it. Many on this board tend to be better catachized so there should be a greater precentage going with the RSVCE as it is the best.

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Apr 10 2006, 07:12 PM']I think that he is surprised because when compared with other options, better educated Catholics would not use it. Many on this board tend to be better catachized so there should be a greater precentage going with the[b] RSVCE as it is the best.[/b]
[right][snapback]942272[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]I've heared that Dr.Scott Hahn is a real fan of it, so I made a point of finding it :cool:

Edited by Peccator

Guest illegitimo

I don´t know if this adds anything to the debate but [quote]The King James Version of the Bible, first published in 1611, has had a profound impact on English literature as a whole. The works of famous authors such as John Bunyan, John Milton, Herman Melville, John Dryden, and William Wordsworth are replete with inspiration derived from the King James Version.....................The King James Version, despite its age, is largely comprehensible to the average reader today. It is considered to be an instrumental founding block of Early Modern English, and remains one of the most widely-read literary works of all time. [/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Bible"]wikipedia[/url]

The King James Version was translated by 54 scholars (although only 51 are known)

[quote]Many of the translators have left specimens of their writing in theological treatises, sermons, and other works. A careful perusal of all these available justifies the assertion that amongst the whole body there was not one man who was so great a literary stylist as to be able to write certain portions of the Authorised Version, which stamp it as one of the two greatest examples of the English language. Naturally the interest centres on Dr. Thomas Bilson and Dr. Miles Smith, to whom the final revision was entrusted. There are some nine or ten theological works by the former and two sermons by the latter. Unless the theory of a special divine inspiration for the occasion be admitted, it is clear that neither Bilson nor Miles Smith could have given the final touches to the Bible. And now a curious statement has come down to us. In 1609 the translators handed their work to the King, and in 1610 he returned it to them completed. James was incapable of writing anything to which the term beautiful could be applied. What had happened to the translators' work whilst it was left in his hands?

James had an officer of state at that time of whom a contemporary biographer wrote that "he had the contrivance of all King James his Designs, until the match with Spain." It will eventually be proved that the whole scheme of the Authorised Version of the Bible was Francis Bacon's. He was an ardent student not only of the Bible, but of the early manuscripts. St. Augustine, St. Jerome, and writers of theological works, were studied by him with industry. He has left his annotations in many copies of the Bible and in scores of theological works. The translation must have been a work in which he took the deepest interest and which he would follow from stage to stage. When the last stage came there was only one writer of the period who was capable of turning the phrases with that matchless style which is the great charm of the Shakespeare plays. Whoever that stylist was, it was to him that James handed over the manuscripts which he received from the translators. That man then made havoc of much of the translation, but he produced a result which, on its literary merits, is without an equal.[/quote]

[url="http://www.hiddenmysteries.com/freebook/bacon/bacon6.html"]The Mystery of Francis Bacon[/url]

Time will tell. :smokey:

• 2 years later...

I have the NRS, the NAB, the New Jerusalem and the Douay-Rheims new Catholic Edition of the Challoner Version, 1958, and the St. James version I got at my first communion.

I usually read from the NAB because it has large print. Yes, I am old. I do like the language of the Douay-Rheims. The New Jerusalem seems a bit too modern.

Of course now, I am probably going to have to get a RSVCE version too. I guess one can never have too many bibles.

praying4carmel

[quote name='Deb' post='1509507' date='Apr 25 2008, 02:21 PM']Of course now, I am probably going to have to get a RSVCE version too. I guess one can never have too many bibles.[/quote]

Boy that's the truth, I've got around 10 in various translations, and now with this thread I'll have to get some More!
<_<

Mostly use the NRSV and NAB But also have a DR and King James for enjoyment.

I also like the New Living...It's been helpful sometimes when I talk to unchurched or Fallen away churched people.

I have a NRSV (Catholic Edition) bible that I use quite a bit (underlined, and bookmarked pages), though I like to dip into the D-R version on the intarwebs. (drbo.org). Anywho, I like the NRSV cept it's a bit gender inclusive, but I don't mind. It's the setup that I really enjoy. :cool:

goldenchild17

I use Haydock's almost exclusively. But sometimes Challoner's when I don't want to pull out the big heavy one.

JesusIsMySuperHero

Would it surprise any of you if I said King James Bible. . .

It is the bible that the spirit testifies most to me. I've read other bibles, but they just don't compare. I remember reading a catholic bible for the first time after I read the KJV, and it just read completely wrong.

Of course, the Catholic Version is 'perfect' because God's perfect church wrote it. . .

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JesusIsMySuperHero' post='1509830' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:53 PM']Would it surprise any of you if I said King James Bible. . .

It is the bible that the spirit testifies most to me. I've read other bibles, but they just don't compare. I remember reading a catholic bible for the first time after I read the KJV, and it just read completely wrong.

Of course, the Catholic Version is 'perfect' because God's perfect church wrote it. . .[/quote]
I read the New English Bible, which I brought home from Cambridge. I have a KJV and a Douay. For study St Ignatius books are the most thorough. The KJV has too many errors and the Douay is not enjoyable to read, so the English one is my favorite.