An Old School Catholic Message Board

What English Bible Do You Read?

Resurrexi

What English Bible Do You Read?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tan prints some really cool stuff.

But the best commentary is really The Navarre Commentary. Unfortunately it is so expensive that it going to be a while before I have them all. It is worth it though.

Edit to add

Actually the best commentary that I have ever read is Golden Chain that St. Thomas edited. It is a compelation of all the Church Fathers' comments on Scriptures. It is avalible on line at New Advent and I have it on Cd-rom that is cross indexed with the Gospels and the Summa.

Edited by Theoketos

Brother Adam

The last hardcover Navarre will be out this winter, so all 10 volumes will be together. Then hopefully if you buy them in bulk will be able to find a decent discount.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 6 2006, 07:56 AM']The last hardcover Navarre will be out this winter, so all 10 volumes will be together. Then hopefully if you buy them in bulk will be able to find a decent discount.
[right][snapback]937552[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:drool:

[quote name='Amator Veritatis' date='Apr 6 2006, 01:49 PM']The commentary, however, does not necessarily have to be found directly below the passages and from a full text of the Bible, as is the case with most commentary today. All that being said, I do not know much about the almost infinite number of English versions available, so I could not comment regarding the value or orthodoxy of the New Jerusalem Bible, but I simply would recommend that you obtain a traditional commentary which is approved by the Church. [/quote]

Thank you for this! The Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur are declared on the New Jerusalem Bible, and it is used in our parish. I like that it follows the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts as much as possible, indicating where the Septuagint was used where not possible.

Amator Veritatis

I had been under the impression that Saint Thomas Aquinas's [i]Catena Aurea[/i] was not being printed by anyone, but it appears that Saint Austin Press is doing so. It is currently out of print, as far as I can tell, but this compilation is truly a treasure and will hopefully be available from Saint Austin Press again soon.

Edited by Amator Veritatis

I use the NRSV-CE for personal use. But when I'm doing catechetics I follow the NAB b/c that's what the lectionary uses.

[quote name='Amator Veritatis' date='Apr 7 2006, 02:09 PM']I had been under the impression that Saint Thomas Aquinas's [i]Catena Aurea[/i] was not being printed by anyone, but it appears that Saint Austin Press is doing so. It is currently out of print, as far as I can tell, but this compilation is truly a treasure and will hopefully be available from Saint Austin Press again soon.
[right][snapback]939377[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You can find all sorts of electronic copies, and Pauline Press sells a CD Rom of it.

LouisvilleFan

The only two translations I currently own are NLT and NRSV. But I think my aunt is getting me a good Catholic Bible for Confirmation and Eucharist at Easter Vigil. Then I'll be one step closerin to becoming a :saint: !

Brother Adam

[url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1597521922/ref=wl_it_dp/102-0611231-5557721?%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=1RQQEUG8U59SE&coliid=I1F61RF4XUAFXY&v=glance&n=283155"]The Golden Chain on sale on amazon[/url]

This is the only one I know of that you can buy now, new.

It is included on the "Welcome to the Catholic Church" CD as well.

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 7 2006, 08:23 PM'][url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1597521922/ref=wl_it_dp/102-0611231-5557721?%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=1RQQEUG8U59SE&coliid=I1F61RF4XUAFXY&v=glance&n=283155"]The Golden Chain on sale on amazon[/url]

This is the only one I know of that you can buy now, new.

It is included on the "Welcome to the Catholic Church" CD as well.
[right][snapback]939674[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]:drool:

LouisvilleFan

I also enjoy reading the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts, which I have copies of here in my apartment. :P: