An Old School Catholic Message Board

What English Bible Do You Read?

Resurrexi

What English Bible Do You Read?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm just wondering what Edition of the Bible in the English Language most Phatmassers read. I read the DR Challoner Edition...

Charms717RM1

I bought the NAB because it's what is used for readings at mass. At the time i didn't know what other Catholic versions there were, so i went out and got this one. I've heard some people complain about it, but I really wouldn't know the difference because this is the only one I've ever picked up and read.

Lol, i've already paid for this one so I'm going to get my money's worth out of it before buying another translation. But i am open to advice/suggestions/opinions on which ones are better- espically ones that are well suited for study with footnotes. Maybe in a few years I'll pick up a different transalation.

Edited by Charms717RM1

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i read the Confaternity addition or the Revised Standard Catholic Edition. i would prefer the D-R or Haydock or Challoner

I own and utilize several translations -- Catholic and Protestant -- for different purposes. For serious study I like to go with formal equivalence, or literal, translations. I use:

Douay-Rheims Version (DRV)
Douay-Confraternity Version (DCV)
Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition (RSV-CE)
Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition (RSV-SCE)
New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition (NRSV-CE)
English Standard Version (ESV)
New King James Version (NKJV)
Jewish Publication Society Tanakh (JPS)
New Jewish Publication Society Tanakh (New JPS)

For devotional reading and prayer, I generally reach for dynamic equivalence translations. I use:

Jerusalem Bible (JB)
Knox Bible (KB)
New American Bible (NAB)
The Grail Psalms (GS)

For apologetics with fundamentalist/anti-Catholic Protestants, I use:

King James Version (KJV)
New International Version (NIV)
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

As you can probably guess, I'm one of those people who thinks it's a good idea to use a variety of translations -- at least more than one. All translations have their strengths and weaknesses. I love and wholeheartedly recommend the RSV-CE, but there are some renderings in the ESV, for instance, that are better; there are some renderings in the JB that are better than those in the DRV and KB, and vice-versa. Having a few different translations at ones disposal often leads one to a deeper understanding and appreciation of God's Word.

Edited by Nathan

i also have the jerusalem bible. and the NRSV but i never use it!

i almost got the NAB but i took it back!

Other than the DR Challoner, I have a four NABs and a New Jerusalem Bible. I really want to get rid of them...

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Mostly the NAB because it is relatively readable and easily available online. I have a hard copy of the Revised Standard Version: Second Catholic Edition as well. I also cannot wait to dig into my new Haydock.

And by they way... is the original DR even readable by modern English speakers? It is my understanding that it's full of latin and obsolete words.

I currently have, as my personal use, the RSV-2nd CE, by Ignatius press. I also have, for study and comparisons, NAB, Jerusalem, and the DR-Challoner.

[quote name='thedude' date='Apr 2 2006, 06:03 PM']And by they way...  is the original DR even readable by modern English speakers?  It is my understanding that it's full of latin and obsolete words.[right][snapback]933541[/snapback][/right][/quote]

That's what I've heard as well. I would definitely like to own a copy of the original Douay-Rheims Version, but I doubt I'd read it often because of the archaic language. I don't use the Challoner revision all that much because of that reason.

I've never understood the oft-heard sentiment that Bibles in Olde English sound "more dignified." To me, they just sound outdated and are difficult to understand.

Edited by Nathan

[quote]I've never understood the oft-heard sentiment that Bibles in Olde English sound "more dignified." To me, they just sound outdated and are difficult to understand.[/quote]

Just so you know, the English of both the DR Challoner and the Original DR, would be classified as Early Modern English rather than Old English. And, by the way, you are so naive to think that Early Modern English isnt more dignified than today's English.

[quote name='Nathan' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:18 PM']That's what I've heard as well. I would definitely like to own a copy of the original Douay-Rheims Version, but I doubt I'd read it often because of the archaic language. I don't use the Challoner revision all that much because of that reason.

I've never understood the oft-heard sentiment that Bibles in Olde English sound "more dignified." To me, they just sound outdated and are difficult to understand.
[right][snapback]933555[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

the original D-R has been updated to modern english, and the spelling has been changed.

I'm still using a Catholic Bible Press NAB, though I'm hoping I'll get a fancy new 2nd Ed. RSV for Easter if I'm good. :saint:

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='Apr 2 2006, 07:30 PM']And, by the way, you are so naive to think that Early Modern English isnt more dignified than today's English.
[right][snapback]933567[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
That's pretty uncharitable of you, friend. Let's not judge.

[quote]The Grail Psalms (GS)[/quote]You use the Grail Psalter?

I personally know the abbot that heads it up.

I use a combination of the Ronald Know translation (which I really like, and my favourite translation by far!) and the Authorised version, better known as the King James.

I do own quite a number of different translations..(as I find the Bible facinating and I like collecting the different version) : New King James, New International Version, New American Standard Bible, Revised Standard Version (Catholic edition), Today's English version (also one of my favourites), Amplified Bible, Douey-Rheims translation, Jerusalem Bible, Contemporary English Version , The Living Bible and the The Message.

I do own Bibles in other languages as well as I find it a good tool to help you learn other languages and because my first language is not english: Afrikaans, German (Luther translation) Russian, the Latin Vulgate and the Greek new testement.