An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's in a Wimple?

Veritas

+
:bigthink:

Yes, I see what you mean, and I did realize that... However, it still seems odd to place anything on oneself (especially a consecrated religious) that is representative of sin and "the world" (although perhaps a strict equivocation of the two is part of the hindrance to my understanding). Especially when the amount of white and more importantly what it symbolizes, even though closer, is so relatively small!

Thanks again for your thougts!

I asked the sisters yesterday, what the band was called. They laughed and said it was the 'headband' and it symbolizes that we are to keep our thoughts on Christ.

God bless you.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='LilyofSaintMaria' date='Apr 2 2006, 06:57 PM']Although the question was answered already I thought I would let you in on a great book all about the habit called, well, what else than [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385505884/sr=8-1/qid=1144025634/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7024672-2876843?%5Fencoding=UTF8"]The Habit[/url].

Bernadette
[right][snapback]933535[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Definitly an interesting read :)

OK, here is the official description from the OLAM nuns. LOL Sister Fidelis pointed me to the particular area, even though I'd already scrambled this description together for you.

[quote]At the investiture ceremony (which immediately follows the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass), many exciting things take place!  It begins with a Scripture reading from Genesis then the nun is asked again what her heart desires.  To this she responds, "Reverend Mother, I desire to spend my life at the Feet of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament." 
A reading from Philippians follows this dialogue between the abbess and the nun.  Then, after the holy habit is blessed by the priest, the abbess proceeds to cut the nun's hair.  This symbolizes her total renunciation of the vanities of the world.

After the abbess does this, she then clothes the nun in the holy habit of our Order.  The habit is an exterior sign of our commitment and total consecration to Jesus Christ.  Each part of the holy habit, even its colors, has deep spiritual meaning.

Underneath the white veil, the nun wears a white head covering.  This is a symbol that her mind is not on "the world" but on the Kingdom that is to come. No part of her mind, intellect, memory, or will is to be  part of the world, part of darkness, or part of anything that is contrary to Jesus Christ.

The white collar is a symbol that the nun is surrounded with "community", the religious life lived in common.  She wishes to live in goodness, in love, and in poverty of mind and heart. She puts at the very top of her body, which is consecrated to God, something white as a constant reminder that she is a temple of the Holy Spirit.  That temple must be ever clean and pure. All the white parts of her habit are a symbol of her desire to exemplify the awesome purity of God Himself in the Most Holy Eucharist.

The earthly color of the brown Franciscan habit reminds the nun of the Scripture passage used on Ash Wednesday: "Remember thou art dust and to dust thou shalt return".  It also is a remembrance for her that - without Him - she is absolutely nothing.

The white Franciscan cord, with three knots in it, symbolizes the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience that this new novice hopes to make at her first holy profession.  Over the habit is placed a brown mantle, which is worn at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.  It is a symbol of the nun's love for Our Lady and also of the Blessed Virgin Mary's maternal protection.

After the nun receives the holy habit, she chants Psalm 40 — Here I am, Lord, I come to do Your Will.  Then after the Holy Gospel is proclaimed, she receives a new name.  Each nun is privileged to have the Holy Name of Mary as part of her own religious name.  In addition to this, she is given a title (example: Mother Mary Angelica of the Annunciation).[/quote]

There is part of the explanation that I've already shared. . .but this is more eloquent than my own words. And when she is vowed? Here is the part that you were wondering about. . . and again, it's said so much better on the site:

[quote]The black outer part of the veil is a sign that the nun is dead to the world.  Inside the veil is white— this represents the glory of Heaven.  This white part is partially hidden by the black to symbolize that those who are "of the world" cannot see the reward that is to come.  Wearing this veil is the nun's witness to that reward. [/quote]

[url="http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/nun_progression.htm"]From Postulancy to Profession[/url]

Ok, there is all I've been able to transcribe for you.

God bless you.

+
:bigclap:
Gratias Ago. cf. quote below: This definitely illustrates the importance of using primary sources! I understand "black" completely differently in this quote than how it had been paraphrased (my own shortcomings, I'm sure:). The words from OLAM make sense and don't seem to infer "cloaking oneself in sin".

Thanks!

The black outer part of the veil is a sign that the nun is dead to the world. Inside the veil is white— this represents the glory of Heaven. This white part is partially hidden by the black to symbolize that those who are "of the world" cannot see the reward that is to come. Wearing this veil is the nun's witness to that reward.

I am SURE it was all my inadequacy of phrasing it correctly. I am so glad you understand it better now.

[quote name='Veritas' date='Apr 4 2006, 09:51 PM']+
:bigclap:
Gratias Ago. cf. quote below: This definitely illustrates the importance of using primary sources! I understand "black" completely differently in this quote than how it had been paraphrased (my own shortcomings, I'm sure:). The words from OLAM  make sense and don't seem to infer "cloaking oneself in sin".
[right][snapback]935958[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Veritas,

The black veil represents the world to which the nuns are called to die to, it does not represent sin in any way. Temptation maybe, but not sin. We are all called to die to sin, it is not a unique calling of the religious to be called to die to our sins. Dieing to the world, however, is unique and it is what the black veil represents.

The world <> sin. That is a gnostic view of the universe. :ohno: