An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgical abuses?

curtins

[quote name='curtins' date='Apr 1 2006, 10:13 PM']ok so my parish has a "kids mass" every sunday where basically they have youth be lectors, ushers, and Eucharistic ministers (must be confirmed to do the later), and alot of little kids come to this mass. The thing is during the homily our priest invites all the kids up to sit on the alter while he gives a homily to them. Then during the concecration, he again invites all the kids up to the alter. Isn't this liturgical abuse? In the past I had been an usher at this mass and just sent in my "aplication" to continue ushering at this mass, but if those are liturgical abuses, then should I not particiapte in it?
thanks
[right][snapback]932771[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Abuses can be approved by the residing bishop. While the abuses can make the mass illicit, it won't make it invalid.

Participate or pick another mass time

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:24 PM']No, you are suppose to pray.
Unless you are a bishop or his spiritual director it is not your place to correct a priest.
[right][snapback]932923[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So then we can't even talk to our bishop about any priest who's committing liturgical abuses? We might as well keep our mouths shut about any priest who's molesting children.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:32 PM']Yes, but we don't faternally correct them. I don't think most people understand what priests go through on a daily basis, their pastoral concerns for the salvation of souls typically outweigh concerns of parishoners holding hands and such.
[right][snapback]932947[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Absolutely.
Somewhere there are norms for childrens masses....

First, talk to the priest. Ask him about his actions and how they align with church instruction regarding the liturgy (you might want to bring the specific documents with you). It's possible he has the bishop's approval, and if he does then he should tell you this. If things do[b] not [/b]get cleared up, then...

[color=green]Redemptionis Sacramentum[/color]

[i]6. Complaints Regarding Abuses in Liturgical Matters[/i]
[183.] In an altogether particular manner, let everyone do all that is in their power to ensure that the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist will be protected from any and every irreverence or distortion and that all abuses be thoroughly corrected. This is a most serious duty incumbent upon each and every one, and all are bound to carry it out without any favoritism.

[184.] Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon [b]or lay member of Christ's faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law[/b], or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff.290 It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity.

Praying is a necessity, but action is sometimes required. The church tells us we should go to the local bishop before going to Rome. In the same line of thought, I think it's common courtesy to talk to the priest before going to he bishop.

FYI... I'm in the beginning stages of putting together some very charitable and respectful, "liturgical abuse flyers" that will be printable from this website. The idea would be to hand them to choir directors, EMCs, and priests after witnessing a liturgical abuse. They would be meant as a friendly "first step" of correcting abuses.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Dave' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:33 PM']So then we can't even talk to our bishop about any priest who's committing liturgical abuses?  We might as well keep our mouths shut about any priest who's molesting children.
[right][snapback]932953[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yes Dave, I think you've got it. Molesting children is a liturgical abuse.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:34 PM']this thread stinks of false obedience
[right][snapback]932956[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

What do you propose Sam. Forcing people not to hold hands, or helping them understand that the Eucharist is Jesus, not just bread?

[quote name='inDEED' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:26 PM']Not way outta line...Just a man speaking his mind...

If you want to ignore what I'm sayin' on the forum - please do. The option is fairly simple to reach.
[right][snapback]932928[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So it's ok to be rude just so long as you're "speaking [your] mind"?

I will not ignore a lack of charity to others.

Brother Adam

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:38 PM']Does anybody have a link to GIRM section on children's masses?
[right][snapback]932966[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have every liturgical document that could possibly be relevant about 5 feet away from me. What do you want to know?

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 1 2006, 10:24 PM']Unless you are a bishop or his spiritual director it is not your place to correct a priest.
[right][snapback]932923[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Not according to Redemptionis Sacramentum. :P:

cmotherofpirl

what are the norms for a childrens mass?
You can't decide if something is done wrong unless you know how its done right.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Father: Sam, I would like you to kill this man

Sam: No. There is a God in heaven!

am i bieng disobedient?

Charms717RM1

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Apr 1 2006, 11:44 PM']Father: Sam, I would like you to kill this man

Sam: No. There is a God in heaven!
am i bieng disobedient?
[right][snapback]932978[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

how is this relevent?

Brother Adam...

You're speaking so much truth in your posts...I wish I could take them all and make them my sig...

You've hit the nail on the head...