An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guidelines

Snarf

[i]A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful. *Effective immediately, any negative criticism of the current Magisterium will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass and/or our Holy Father.[/i]

This is intellectual suicide in its purest form. Slander is one thing, yes. But the threat of "scandal among the faithful" is something that shouldn't be a problem: people should either know how to defend their beliefs, or they shouldn't have them. I won't deny the fact that PM has the RIGHT to enforce this, but that it would is just immature and brash.

you don't have to follow them

you don't have to be here.

give to ceasar what is ceasar

give to dust what is dust

I don't know dUST all that well, but my naive faith in humanity tells me that he didn't just create such a large message board just as a means to stroke his ego. I could be wrong. If such strict homogeneity is enforced, a debate forum here is superfluous.

[quote name='Snarf' date='Apr 1 2006, 04:38 AM'][i]A post or comment that results in doctrinal debates that might cause scandal among the faithful. *Effective immediately, any negative criticism of the current Magisterium will result in deletion, and a warning from the moderators. This includes but is not limited to criticism of the Novus Ordo mass and/or our Holy Father.[/i]

This is intellectual suicide in its purest form.  Slander is one thing, yes.  But the threat of "scandal among the faithful" is something that shouldn't be a problem: people should either know how to defend their beliefs, or they shouldn't have them.  I won't deny the fact that PM has the RIGHT to enforce this, but that it would is just immature and brash.
[right][snapback]931075[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

This is a website primarily for young people, not Scholastics in Rome. It should not be a place for them get wishy-washy dissent from other Catholics. There is no "intellectual suicide". All non-Catholics are free to debate in the debate phorum. This is aimed at CATHOLICS who may try to mislead others about CATHOLICISM.

By the way, this particular guideline is entirely within the spirit of Canon Law:

[quote]They [the Laity] have the right also to make their views known to others of Christ's faithful, but in doing so they must always respect the integrity of faith and morals, show due reverence to the Pastors [b]and take into account both the common good and the dignity of individuals[/b].

--Canon 212[/quote]

Your right as a Catholic to spout off is not absolute. You must respect "the common good", which includes the possibility of scandal among young people who come here and encounter dissent.

Edited by Era Might

[quote name='Snarf' date='Apr 1 2006, 02:55 AM']I don't know dUST all that well, but my naive faith in humanity tells me that he didn't just create such a large message board just as a means to stroke his ego.  I could be wrong.  If such strict homogeneity is enforced, a debate forum here is superfluous.
[right][snapback]931119[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]Dude. Put away the thesarus, and back away from the 'puter. Slowly, slowly.
Does your mom know you smoke a pipe, or do you not really smoke tobacco in it?

Okay. I'm going for a sure-fire warning here...
Do you really think you look cool in your webpage profile with the pipe and stuff?

I sure hope I look cool on the internet. I did come to phatmass to pick up chicks, after all.

[i]There shouldnt be any "catholic vs. Catholic debate in the first place. We are suppose to be one.[/i]

I can't tell what you mean with that capitalization scheme. If you mean no inter-rite debate (catholic vs. Catholic), then of course there's going to be debate. If you mean no debate between any factions of Roman Catholics, then you're effectively neutering the advancement of knowledge. It'd be absolutely absurd to say that we know all there is to know about the truth right now, and learning more isn't going to come by means of total conformity.

"In essentials, unity. In things doubtful, liberty. In all things, charity." --St. Augustine

Amator Veritatis

Era Might, I believe the quote from Saint Augustine is quite relevant to the matter at hand. I would think that Snarf would agree with this quote, and, perhaps, it is precisely his point. To restrict debate so much as to forbid discussion of dubious matters would be contrary to the spirit of the words of Saint Augustine. Catholics are permitted to hold different views regarding dubious matters, but discussion of them is the only means of attaining agreement on such matters. With that being said, it would seem profitable for Catholics to debate those matters which cannot be called essential. Of course, the actual guidelines prescribed and cited do not necessary forbid such discussion. The crux of the problem consists in determining what might constitute scandal among the faithful.

Amator Veritatis

I should add, when "scandal among the faithful" is reduced simply to supporting or propagating one ideological viewpoint to the exclusion of other legitimate opinions, it cannot be called legitimate. With that being said, such is not necessarily the case on these forums even if it be the popular practice of many of the members themselves.

cmotherofpirl

You cannot call yourself catholic on this site and dispute the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. You cannot call into question the legitimacy of Vatican II, or support schismatic groups. If you call yourself a catholic here, we expect you to uphold the teachings of the Church. There is no legimate diversity of opinion on these topics. :)
So we do not do catholic vs catholic here.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Apr 1 2006, 05:20 PM']You cannot call yourself catholic on this site and dispute the Magisterium of the Catholic Church. You cannot call into question the legitimacy of Vatican II, or support schismatic groups. If you call yourself a catholic here, we expect you to uphold the teachings of the Church. There is no legimate diversity of opinion on these topics. :)
So we do not do catholic vs catholic here.
[right][snapback]932096[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was just about to say that.